Last RENT Cast

Pascal/Menzel/Bundy Profile Photo
Pascal/Menzel/Bundy
#25re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 1/19/08 at 12:31am

Last I heard she was supposed to leave November 29th. Clearly, I am out of the Tamyra loop.

I won't lose too much sleep...

"It means nothing to come and sit in a theater night after night and immerse yourself in fantasy, only then to walk out the door and be unchanged in reality. This show will live on in our hearts. But where it truly must survive is in our actions, our compassion and our generousity of spirit towards one another." - Adam Pascal on the closing of RENT

bluetuna
#26re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 1/19/08 at 12:39am

She extended.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#27re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 1/19/08 at 1:33am

I think that at this stage of the game it is hard to get a cast that is better then what is going on onstage at The Nederlander.

That is to say, that it seems that the casting department has lost all interest in this show a good couple of years ago. Nothings getting me to believe that they are gonna boost up their game this late into things.

I do find it interesting that they are considering bringing out an Equity tour. Correct me if I am wrong. But, I am under the impression that equity tours cost a good chunk more then non eq tours. If the producers haven't really been taking care of rent that well over the years. Why would they spend the money on an equity tour.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#28re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 1/19/08 at 1:38am

well I guess they know there are enough people who'd see the show that haven't made it to NYC yet (since the movie it has hit a HUGE teen market again and most don't have means to make to NYC yet in a lot of cases), and if the show is closed on b-way, the tour is the only way. I think a good solid equity tour would have a pretty successful run at first.

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#29re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 1/19/08 at 1:39am

The recent Tony award winner needs to AUDITION to be the 765th replacement in this show? Please...

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#30re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 1/19/08 at 1:49am

MotorTink,

The shows tour at first was an equity tour. It had a pretty successful run as an equity tour. It then switched over to a non equity tour because they weren't making enough money with an equity tour.

What I am wondering is this. If they know that they had their moment in the sun with an equity tour and had to switch over to a non equity tour because its cheaper. Why would they do it again? They can bring the tour to the big cities and have them play legit stints and the audience wouldn't know the difference.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#31re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 1/19/08 at 2:19am

"MotorTink,

The shows tour at first was an equity tour. It had a pretty successful run as an equity tour. It then switched over to a non equity tour because they weren't making enough money with an equity tour.

What I am wondering is this. If they know that they had their moment in the sun with an equity tour and had to switch over to a non equity tour because its cheaper. Why would they do it again? They can bring the tour to the big cities and have them play legit stints and the audience wouldn't know the difference. "

From what I've seen, not all venues will bring in a non-Equity tour. And if there are names enough, Rent fans may even travel to see the show. They might also have SOME loyalty to the cast members that stuck with the show for so long or had particularly great stints... AND they will have a ton of Broadway props, sets, costumes etc. to make it a quality tour. Bigger and better. A last hurrah. I am sure eventually the tour will end, too. At least for awhile.

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#32re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 1/19/08 at 2:22am

The shows tour at first was an equity tour. It had a pretty successful run as an equity tour.

There were actually two Equity tours running concurrently for a while. The Benny tour closed in 2001 and the non-Equity tour started after that, using their set.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

BroadwayAbridged Profile Photo
BroadwayAbridged
#33re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 1/19/08 at 8:39am

The recent Tony award winner needs to AUDITION to be the 765th replacement in this show? Please...

You know what, unless they're a celebrity name, pretty much everybody has to audition. They're just more of formalities, a chance for people to meet. I remember Mandy Patinkin joking about how it surprised him that he had to audition for Sunday in the Park.

- Gil http://www.broadwayabridged.com

DaneSaw
#34re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 1/19/08 at 11:01am

"AND they will have a ton of Broadway props, sets, costumes etc. to make it a quality tour. Bigger and better."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these things (well, the props and costumes, anyway) practically identical on tour? It's not like the entire cast are running around in different costumes on tour. As far as I can tell, whether or not they have Broadway's props and costumes won't make much of a difference in the show's success...

As far as sets go, have the touring productions been using the same sets in their runs? I know the set layout can change by the venue (like when they go balcony-less), and I know certain aspects - the sculpture, mainly - are scaled down from Broadway, but haven't the sets been fairly identical for the last...10 years?

Pascal/Menzel/Bundy
#35re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 1/19/08 at 11:04am

Dane:

At the show I saw on tour in Feb. of last year, it was pretty much the same. Costumes, sets, all of it. You are correct.

"It means nothing to come and sit in a theater night after night and immerse yourself in fantasy, only then to walk out the door and be unchanged in reality. This show will live on in our hearts. But where it truly must survive is in our actions, our compassion and our generousity of spirit towards one another." - Adam Pascal on the closing of RENT

hermionejuliet
#36re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 1/19/08 at 11:08am

"AND they will have a ton of Broadway props, sets, costumes etc. to make it a quality tour. Bigger and better."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these things (well, the props and costumes, anyway) practically identical on tour? It's not like the entire cast are running around in different costumes on tour. As far as I can tell, whether or not they have Broadway's props and costumes won't make much of a difference in the show's success...

As far as sets go, have the touring productions been using the same sets in their runs? I know the set layout can change by the venue (like when they go balcony-less), and I know certain aspects - the sculpture, mainly - are scaled down from Broadway, but haven't the sets been fairly identical for the last...10 years?"

Oh, I'm not saying it will make that much of a difference in the success, but I wouldn't doubt that they might merge some of the aspects from the Broadway show into the tour. I believe I've seen slight differences in costumes and props.... Just saying they would have massive amounts of property which they could utilize if they wanted it. In case the skimpped a bit on the non-eq tour. re: Last RENT Cast

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#37re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 1/19/08 at 11:11am

"When Aida closed and he came back he said, "If Rent closes, I'll probally come back. I just hope it's not soon." "

yes, but he probably said that before he knew that he and Anthony were going to come back last summer.

"Too bad the current cast is less than ideal."
You never know if the cast was ideal perhaps it would not yet be closing.

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)
Updated On: 1/19/08 at 11:11 AM

hermionejuliet
#38re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 1/19/08 at 11:12am

And the 10 yr reunion. re: Last RENT Cast

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#39re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 1/19/08 at 11:16am

"The recent Tony award winner needs to AUDITION to be the 765th replacement in this show? Please..." uh blaxx, everyone has to audition no matter who you are. Tamyra grey who was clearly stunt casted needed to audition. Just because you're a tony award winning actor doesn't mean that you automatically have the part. Christene Ebersole for the next maureen!

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#40re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 1/19/08 at 11:20am

I'd be fine with Matt Caplan as Mark closing the show, provided that he is gonna be at his best and in top form, like when I show him and not phoning in and goofying, as others have said they witnessed !

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#41re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 1/19/08 at 12:31pm

Speaking of him, is he ready to sign up for food stamps, get hitched to welfare, and make right with a P.O. box? His meal ticket is going away.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

broadwaybound882
#42re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 1/19/08 at 12:56pm

Matt Caplan would be unable to close out as Mark seeing as he's starting South Pacific in March. Also, there is still one original cast member in the cast: Rodney Hicks, so I'd imagine he'll probably finish the run.

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#43re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 1/19/08 at 1:03pm

Really ? So I guess I'll see him after all, since there's NO way I am missing South Pacific with my TWO favorite Matts !!!

Gobstopper Profile Photo
Gobstopper
#44re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 1/19/08 at 2:20pm

Does this remind anybody else of the whole Lea Michelle/"Wicked rumors that were going on forever? BWAHAHAHA

Pascal/Menzel/Bundy
#45re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 1/19/08 at 2:22pm

Gob.: How?

Updated On: 1/19/08 at 02:22 PM

ILuv2shop531
#46re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 1/19/08 at 2:29pm

Does this remind anybody else of the whole Lea Michelle/"Wicked rumors that were going on forever? BWAHAHAHA

ha ha i was waiting for someone to bring that up, it definitely does.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#47re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 1/19/08 at 2:33pm

Gallagher is a weird choice for Mark. They should get Kelly Karbacz to close out the show as Maureen.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#48re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 1/19/08 at 3:25pm

"Gob.: How? "

Because when that rumor was going around, people couldn't understand how or why Michelle would have to audition for the role of Elphaba.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#49re: Last RENT Cast
Posted: 1/19/08 at 3:48pm

uh blaxx, everyone has to audition no matter who you are. Tamyra grey who was clearly stunt casted needed to audition.

An interview I believe, but as if they actually had to test him on his abilities to play this...guess I can't elaborate much without trashing how the show looks nowadays. And I can guarantee that not EVERYONE has to audition, I'm sure they took that out of the Broadway constitution a long time ago.

The word "casted" doesn't exist, love.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 1/19/08 at 03:48 PM