Bombay Dreams?

alfgiotir Profile Photo
alfgiotir
#1Bombay Dreams?
Posted: 1/21/08 at 1:13pm

I was recently searching for cast recordings to buy and I stumbbled across Bombay Dreams. The songs are pretty cool. Is it worth it to buy the entire cd or should I buy snippets? It was a hit in London, what happened on Broadway?

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#2re: Bombay Dreams?
Posted: 1/21/08 at 2:37pm

Get "Shakalaka Baby" and "The Journey Home." The rest are not effective, at least not without having seen the show (which I haven't). I blogged about my experience with the CD. If interested, go to my blog, then type "Bombay Dreams" in the trop search box.
Broadway Blog: Tell My Father I Didn’t Break the Rules

MaronaDavies
#2re: Bombay Dreams?
Posted: 1/21/08 at 4:43pm

I think that the CD is worth it. There were a lot of good songs, like "Happy Endings" and "Like an Eagle" that didn't make it to Broadway.

I saw the show in London and loved it, and I was really disappointed when I saw it in NYC. IMHO they dumbed it down a lot, took out most of the good plot points, et al. The original London Bombay Dreams was harsher, and not nearly as happy, as what ended up on Broadway, and it really worked a lot better.

neddyfrank2
#3re: Bombay Dreams?
Posted: 1/21/08 at 4:52pm

It flopped.

Muscle should be showing up sometime soon.

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#4re: Bombay Dreams?
Posted: 1/21/08 at 6:28pm

neddy I was just thinking the same thing!

Nick?

MiniMenzel08
#5re: Bombay Dreams?
Posted: 1/21/08 at 8:45pm

get Shakalaka Baby!!!

Yankeefan007
#6re: Bombay Dreams?
Posted: 1/21/08 at 8:47pm

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no no, no no.

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#7re: Bombay Dreams?
Posted: 1/21/08 at 9:15pm

I agree that it isn't a very good show, but it was kinda fun in the sit back and laugh way.

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#8re: Bombay Dreams?
Posted: 1/21/08 at 9:32pm

I second Yankee, but I'm going to add "no" three more times. Bombay Dreams was a nightmare!

toni3
#9re: Bombay Dreams?
Posted: 1/21/08 at 11:01pm

^ I agree. This is the only Broadway show I have ever hated.

SporkGoddess
#10re: Bombay Dreams?
Posted: 1/21/08 at 11:02pm

I only listen to about three songs from the entire cast recording. The rest of it I can't even stand.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Ole Chum
#11re: Bombay Dreams?
Posted: 1/22/08 at 12:05am

show was horrendous but anisha was absolutely adorable in the lead and had a brilliant voice.

alxscrz2 Profile Photo
alxscrz2
#12re: Bombay Dreams?
Posted: 1/22/08 at 2:58am

Lets see what Nick has to say about his fave musical....
NICK!!!!!!!!!! where are you ??? Lol

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#13re: Bombay Dreams?
Posted: 1/22/08 at 3:00am

Only show I have walked out of in my whole life!

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

MaronaDavies
#14re: Bombay Dreams?
Posted: 1/22/08 at 3:38am

The Broadway version stunk, I'll agree with that completely. The CD is the London production before they butchered it and changed all the songs, though--it's a different show.

justafan2
#15re: Bombay Dreams?
Posted: 1/22/08 at 7:19am

Toni3---it's the only show you ever hated? Did you ever see "By Jeeves"? :)
Bombay Dreams was royal entertainment compared to BJ (IMO)

Videos