Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer- Page 2

Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer

Salene Profile Photo
Salene
another_reprise Profile Photo
another_reprise
#26re: Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer
Posted: 2/25/08 at 1:06pm

I saw Kerry last fall and thought she came off rather blah. Her voice was good, but it didn't seem like she was fully committed to the character and was just on stage because she had to be. Hopefully it was just an off night. On the plus side: No Good Deed brought the house down, she owns that song.

Does the sun really rise in the east?
Does the earth really spin around the sun?
What's it matter in the least?
What's real to me ain't real to everyone.

Ole Chum
#27re: Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer
Posted: 2/25/08 at 1:16pm

no idea how her elphaba is (sounds solid to me from that clip) but if you have a moment hunt down her I Dreamed A Dream from London Les Mis.

absolutely stunning.

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#28re: Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer
Posted: 2/25/08 at 1:30pm

"Does this mean Stephanie's last performance is Sunday, June 15th at 3pm?"

^I second that question.
Unless she leaves a little earlier and they get a temporary replacement like they did with Sebastian, but I don't think they would.

I was kinda hoping they would bump up Lisa Brescia as the principal Elphaba or get someone new.

And has there been any confirmation yet that Annaleigh's last day is indeed April 20th and that she'll be replaced by Kendra?
Updated On: 2/25/08 at 01:30 PM

murron Profile Photo
murron
#29re: Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer
Posted: 2/25/08 at 1:58pm

She may have a clear and effortless voice but she's nothing I would call an actress. Her diction is good but she lacks emotion throughout the whole show. If it weren't for Dianne Pilkington's Glinda, I would have died of boredom. Or even worse, fall asleep.

Glory Profile Photo
Glory
#30re: Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer
Posted: 2/25/08 at 2:04pm

i think i just died a little bit. i'm going to have to see it once more so I can catch Stephanie and i'm deff. going to buy tickets to Kerry's first performance so I don't miss her.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#31re: Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer
Posted: 2/25/08 at 2:06pm

Good for Kerry!!! re: Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

lcinva
#32re: Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer
Posted: 2/25/08 at 2:10pm

I was personally hoping they would put in Carmen Cusack from the national tour after it ends. She's phenomenal...good belt. Kerry is good, but can they please get some new blood in there?

BillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
#33re: Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer
Posted: 2/25/08 at 2:16pm

Dianne was HORRIBLE. Her singing was fine, but most of the jokes fell flat with her. "Popular" was not popular in the least. There was no chemistry between her and Kerry. The only chemistry I saw was between her and Oliver, and Kerry and Oliver. That's it.

As for Kerry, when I saw her a few weeks ago, she looked completely bored. Very mechnical. I would NEVER compare her voice to Idina Menzel's though. Idina's struggled with the score, more days than not. Kerry flows through it effortlessly. She brought the house down "No Good Deed." It made up for her "Wizard and I," which did not have the audience clapping wildly as it should. If she was trying to go for emo/elphaba, she did it. I saw no transition from school girl to Wicked Woman.

Oliver was amazing though. Just as good as Joey McIntyre, except his voice soars. Completely soars. Joey was great, but Oliver's voice is much more classically trained-- along the vein of Matthew Morrison or David Burnham.

Bill Finn rocks. Woot.

lcinva
#34re: Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer
Posted: 2/25/08 at 2:17pm

I just read the release more closely...it says Kerry will be going back to London by the end of the year anyway. Is there any place we can send comments about who the theater community would like to see more of?

BroomstickBoy Profile Photo
BroomstickBoy
#35re: Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer
Posted: 2/25/08 at 2:21pm

I rather like Kerry's interpretation of Elphaba. Her voice is wonderful as well. When she first started as the stand-by, people compared her voice to Stephanie's. The amusing thing is, Stephanie, with her proper-sounding diction, sounds more British than the actual Brit!

I don't WANT to live in what they call "a certain way." In the first place I'd be no good at it and besides that I don't want to be identified with any one class of people. I want to live every whichway, among all kinds---and know them---and understand them---and love them---THAT's what I want! - Philip Barry (Holiday)

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#36re: Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer
Posted: 2/25/08 at 2:22pm

Good for Kerry!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

pli1018
#37re: Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer
Posted: 2/25/08 at 3:03pm

I saw Kerry last July, and loved her. She really has a powerful voice and it all seems so effortless. But like others have said, she did seem very bored and her "Defying Gravity" seemed devoid of emotion. But she absolutely owns "No Good Deed" and "The Wizard and I".

Whoever said to get Helen Dallimore to Broadway-please no. Helen was my least favorite part of the show. On the side, Oliver Thompsett is amazing, he should come over too, though I'd also love new blood.

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#38re: Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer
Posted: 2/25/08 at 3:20pm

HALLELUJAH! I LOVE THIS WOMAN!!!!!

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

DefyGravity777
#39re: Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer
Posted: 2/25/08 at 3:24pm

I rather like Kerry's interpretation of Elphaba. Her voice is wonderful as well. When she first started as the stand-by, people compared her voice to Stephanie's. The amusing thing is, Stephanie, with her proper-sounding diction, sounds more British than the actual Brit!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually thought that Stephanie was British when I first saw her. And in some of the videos I see of Kerry she sounds American. LOL

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!
Updated On: 2/25/08 at 03:24 PM

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#40re: Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer
Posted: 2/25/08 at 3:34pm

David said his contract is up in June so it'll be interesting too see whether or not he extends and if he doesn't who'll take over for him.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#41re: Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer
Posted: 2/25/08 at 3:51pm

Oh I hope David stays. I really liked him in the role.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

bwayguy22089
#42re: Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer
Posted: 2/25/08 at 4:07pm

I was really hoping for Lisa as well. I hope she stays as standby at least, she is incredible in the role (as is Kerry...I am very happy for her). I wish Amy Adams had a little bit stronger of a voice because I would love to see her as Glinda lol. I think she'd be cute...and new lol. Anyway, who cares if the keep the same women...I mean it would be nice to see someone new, but they are all very good and the producers know they can carry the show. Oh well. I'm excited though!

ShiksaGoddess2 Profile Photo
ShiksaGoddess2
#43re: Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer
Posted: 2/25/08 at 4:17pm

I don't know how I feel about this or Kerry Ellis. I was hoping for Lisa Brescia, but whatever.

missyrose87
#44re: Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer
Posted: 2/25/08 at 4:36pm

she definitely makes it looks effortless. and i think she definitely sounds like idina menzel!

bwayguy22089
#45re: Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer
Posted: 2/25/08 at 5:02pm

I don't know which Idina Menzel you're talking about lol. I personally think that Idina has a very narrow, electric sound while Kerry has more of a rounder, brassier sound. Both are amazing, but completely different. I think.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#46re: Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer
Posted: 2/25/08 at 5:13pm

She was hair-raising when I saw her- so much power and a seemingly endless voice!

outdamnwench
#47re: Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer
Posted: 2/25/08 at 5:13pm

Please don't mention Hellen Dallimore! I'm sure she's a very nice person but her voice is possibly the most annoying sound known to man. She runs around the stage shrieking like a banshee.

I heard that Kendra was supposed to come back a few months after Annaleigh started but just after she left, the deal fell through and Annaleigh's contract was extended.

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#48re: Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer
Posted: 2/25/08 at 6:13pm

Does Stephanie J. Block miss a lot of performances? I really want to see her, but I don't want to take too many chances.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

maya5892 Profile Photo
maya5892
#49re: Stephanie J Block to be replaced by Kerry Ellis in WICKED this summer
Posted: 2/25/08 at 6:23pm

"I heard that Kendra was supposed to come back a few months after Annaleigh started but just after she left, the deal fell through and Annaleigh's contract was extended."

Really? Awesome!