So a vent fell on somebody

Yankeefan007
#1So a vent fell on somebody
Posted: 3/4/08 at 8:09am

How long before she sues and it becomes the Jane Smith Theater?

Lynnespock2
#2re: So a vent fell on somebody
Posted: 3/4/08 at 11:33am

What time is it now? Lawyers started talking 10 minutes ago.

Live long and prosper. Marriage equity now!

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#2re: So a vent fell on somebody
Posted: 3/4/08 at 1:30pm

Wow, this is vague even for this board.

Details?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#3re: So a vent fell on somebody
Posted: 3/4/08 at 1:45pm

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=958919&dt=59&boardid=1

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#4re: So a vent fell on somebody
Posted: 3/4/08 at 2:24pm

Who stage manages a show where a f*** object falls on an audience member and doesn't stop the show?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 3/4/08 at 02:24 PM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#5re: So a vent fell on somebody
Posted: 3/4/08 at 2:27pm

There was less then 10 minutes left in the show...I'm sure they would have stopped it if it were necessary.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#6re: So a vent fell on somebody
Posted: 3/4/08 at 2:34pm

Oh, love, if an object falls on an audience member, there could have been 30 seconds left, and anyone with good judgement would stop the show - it's just not right, sorry.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

RyToast1
#7re: So a vent fell on somebody
Posted: 3/4/08 at 2:36pm

I totally thought Patti was gonna stop!

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#8re: So a vent fell on somebody
Posted: 3/4/08 at 2:42pm

I agree, they should have stopped the show either way.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#9re: So a vent fell on somebody
Posted: 3/4/08 at 2:45pm

Merman's ghost.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#10re: So a vent fell on somebody
Posted: 3/4/08 at 5:06pm

That is really sad and terrible. I hope the audience member is alright.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#12re: So a vent fell on somebody
Posted: 3/4/08 at 5:18pm

The show SHOULD have been stopped. Especially since it wasn't just one person who was affected by the vent falling, it was her that was hit, but those around her were obviously more concerned about her than the show, then there was the doctor who checked up on her...I mean all those people paid to see the WHOLE show (including the last 10 minutes, hell, a lot of people see GYPSY precisely because of the last 10 minutes). I'm sure that they won't be getting refunds or tickets to another performance because they weren't hit. I can't believe the SM didn't stop the show.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#13re: So a vent fell on somebody
Posted: 3/4/08 at 5:19pm

I thought Patti was going to stop the show at one point. She definitely had one eye towards the balcony. The rest of the cast was telling people at the stage door that they were taking their cues from Patti with regards to that. They knew something had happened, but they were going to follow her lead.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#14re: So a vent fell on somebody
Posted: 3/4/08 at 5:23pm

From TPP — The woman was definitely in her 20s — she was here from LA and staying in a hotel here. I did hold the plate, and I remember finding it very heavy. I have an 8 pound dog and it was much heavier than that -at least 10 or 12 pounds but maybe more. It was a little bigger than steering wheel…..Think of something that looks like a giant hubcap but much heavier and thicker…Remember this is a cover for a diffuser so it had vent like openings in it. It came down and hit her flat on the head, ricocheted off and then the edge hit my friend, but it wasn’t moving as fast when it hit my friend. It is truly a miracle the woman wasn’t obviously hurt or bleeding but honestly, we don’t know if she has an internal head injury. She was confused and scared. I also find it surprising that she wasn’t knocked out. She was just lucky. The fact that you heard she was just “shaken up” is definitely the message theater management was putting out — they were alarmingly casual about the whole thing.

— Posted by Bruce Kimmel
------------------------------------

I'm very much against people suing just because they can, but I'm SO upset at the production's team decision to just let it be.
Sorry, heavy objects falling on audience members is a major issue- how did they even know there weren't more coming? They are sounding so unprofessional at the moment, worst than amateur.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#15re: So a vent fell on somebody
Posted: 3/4/08 at 5:25pm

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but...why would they leave anything on the main actress' hands as to whether the show must go on or not? The woman is in character, and has no clue what is going on! The theater could be falling apart for what she knows, she probably can't see anything. Appalling.

AnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
#16re: So a vent fell on somebody
Posted: 3/4/08 at 5:30pm

Not to make light of the situation, but if I were that lady, I would not sue. However, I would make a fuss until I am allowed free tickets in orchestra and a meeting with Patti where I can touch her face.

But then they'd probably arrest me or something.

Seriously though, that is intense. And unexpected.

I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#17re: So a vent fell on somebody
Posted: 3/4/08 at 5:34pm

Of course she should sue.

I once heard about a show that just kept going even when a patron had a heart attack in the aisle!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#18re: So a vent fell on somebody
Posted: 3/4/08 at 5:38pm

"And, correct me if I'm wrong, but...why would they leave anything on the main actress' hands as to whether the show must go on or not? The woman is in character, and has no clue what is going on! The theater could be falling apart for what she knows, she probably can't see anything. Appalling."

Obviously, stage management or the house manager could have stopped the show anytime they wanted to. I think the cast was referring to themselves onstage. In other words, none of them were going to say, "We're going to pause for a moment." But, if Patti had said it, they'd have gone along with it.

AnnaK<3LMIP
#19re: So a vent fell on somebody
Posted: 3/4/08 at 5:42pm

And on opening night, no less.

Prisoner 24601 Profile Photo
Prisoner 24601
#20re: So a vent fell on somebody
Posted: 3/4/08 at 5:49pm

I wonder how soon after the incident the management found out that something had happened.

-Was that a fart?
-My fault, I fear.

BNN
#21re: So a vent fell on somebody
Posted: 3/4/08 at 5:54pm

Well if anything good can come out of this, it is the amount of jokes and reviews that will likely feature the words "bringing the house down, literally."

But on a more serious note, this is easily the most bizzare opening night story I have ever heard.

Tick Tock

thespian geek Profile Photo
thespian geek
#22re: So a vent fell on somebody
Posted: 3/4/08 at 6:07pm

I'm sorry, I realize she's Patti LuPone and that something like this should obviously be in the hands of the Stage Manager, but if I saw commotion like that in the house from the stage -- like Laura fully admitted seeing something FALL -- I don't think I could stop myself from walking off-stage and telling the SM. Yes, it's in the middle of a performance, but that's just ridiculous. That person could be up there dying for all they knew, and better safe than sorry? No one was paying any attention to what was happening on stage, as they were all distracted by her crying and being hysterical over getting smacked in the head with a big piece of metal!

AnnaK<3LMIP
#23re: So a vent fell on somebody
Posted: 3/4/08 at 6:19pm

It's entirely possible that Patti didn't see anything. She was in her zone and the section was what..mezzanine?

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#24re: So a vent fell on somebody
Posted: 3/4/08 at 6:29pm

It was in the balcony. I don't think Patti did see it, but it was impossible not to hear the crash and the commotion.