Gypsy at 52% !!!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#25Oh for christssakes...
Posted: 3/10/08 at 7:28pm

No many people outside of NY are familiar with Patti

If a revival a few years ago bombed it made no sense to do it again as great a musical as it is.

Poster Emeritus

#26Oh for christssakes...
Posted: 3/10/08 at 7:29pm

well, that just means i'll have to go more!!!

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#27Oh for christssakes...
Posted: 3/10/08 at 7:34pm

Okay, the '03 revival did not bomb by any means. It didn't recoup (I don't think any of the GYPSY revivals on Broadway have recouped, don't think this one will either) but it was hardly a flat-out flop.
My question is, what if this is a "vanity project" for LuPone and Laurents? He's a writer trying to put on what he thinks is the best production of his show, she is a capable Broadway star who wanted her chance to play the role (and who does a good job with it). In addition to this, we're also getting the chance to see Laura Benanti giving the best performance of her career, Boyd Gaines showing us he's one of the best working actors, and a fantastic break-through performance by Leigh Ann Larkin.
If there's people willing to throw their money at Laurents so we can see this revival, then I don't see what's wrong with it. It's not like it's a revival of THE WEDDING SINGER, STARLIGHT EXPRESS, or BROOKLYN.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#28Oh for christssakes...
Posted: 3/10/08 at 7:49pm

That's very well-put, Ray.

I'm a big fan and supporter of this revival. Quite frankly, I don't care if there wasn't a "need" for a Gypsy revival. I'm simply thrilled that someone wanted to put up the money to make it happen. Sure, Broadway didn't NEED a Gypsy revival already in 2008, but many of us DID need to see Ms. LuPone finally get to play Rose (and have it recorded on CD, thank God!). She wanted this desperately and got her wish, and darn it, she's not the only one!

This production is icing. And for me, it will be my definitive Gypsy.

kissmeimirish
#29Oh for christssakes...
Posted: 3/10/08 at 7:53pm

the reviews will be excellent to raves to hysteria and it will have a good run. will it run now and forever? no. but GYPSY never gets the run it deserves. sad but true.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#30Oh for christssakes...
Posted: 3/10/08 at 8:03pm

Mr Roxy said: "No many people outside of NY are familiar with Patti ". What a presumptuous and utterly silly statement! Miss Patti is known all over the country, as she has traveled to different parts of the U.S. doing her various concert shows. Perhaps, she might not meet your standard of "fame", but there are many people who have followed her career: concerts, shows, her tv series and occasional guest roles on tv . I distinctly remember Patti LuPone in "Life Goes On." My first Patti LuPone concert was in 1996 here in Austin. I also remember that she sang "As If We Never Said Goodbye". She once did a tv biography on the great Lady Bird Johnson and also did the tv program "Monday Night Mayhem", playing Howard Cosell's wife. So YES, MANY people out there ARE familiar with Patti LuPone. from RC in Austin, Texas.. the Patti LuPone FANatic

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 3/10/08 at 08:03 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#31Oh for christssakes...
Posted: 3/10/08 at 8:26pm

Flaunt it is nothing more than a bitter queen who thinks he knows everything. Very arrogant.

Flaunt It
#32Oh for christssakes...
Posted: 3/10/08 at 8:43pm

Oh honey.. I am sorry reality hurts you.

BTW in all these reports about this weeks performances... no one has mentioned Patti's rumored staggering weight loss. That was just more pie in the sky hopes from the Luponaphiles.

Oh for christssakes...

Oh that's right! You can't photoshop a stage performance.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#33Oh for christssakes...
Posted: 3/10/08 at 8:45pm

Patti LuPone was good, but personally I would rather see Patti LaBelle do it.

Isn't the point of this production to get Patti another Tony?

PEACE.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#34Oh for christssakes...
Posted: 3/10/08 at 8:46pm

I've been noticing a lot lately that Patti Hatred and Hillary Hatred are remarkably similar.

In both cases, otherwise rational people are reduced to disproportionately vindictive spewing, most of which is incoherent and expressed angrily.

Both are frequently accused of monstrous and indifferent selfishness ("She's only in it for her own ambition," "She's always playing herself") despite the fact that other actresses and politicians are equally guilty of drive and ambition, if not more so.

In both cases, the words used to describe the supposed offense of Patti or Hillary are usually expressed in misogynistic ways (i.e., "She's a bitch," "She's a c*nt," "She'll eat you alive"), even if the Hater has no prior evidence of misogyny other than when discussing Hillary or Patti.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#35Oh for christssakes...
Posted: 3/10/08 at 8:50pm

I also dont think this revival will do well and its a revival that most people weren't asking for.That said i think Flaunt Its comments are just petty, you cant judge it off one week of been open!

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#36Oh for christssakes...
Posted: 3/10/08 at 8:50pm

Yeah! Hillary should alternate the matinees, and I can guarantee it would go up to 53%.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Flaunt It
#37Oh for christssakes...
Posted: 3/10/08 at 8:51pm

I am a staunch Hillary supporter.

I know it is the first week of previews... but it is kind of funny that it is one of the least attended shows this week. With all the "At last"iness advertising, one would think that this revival of Gypsy was more sought after than the end to the war in Iraq.
Updated On: 3/10/08 at 08:51 PM

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#38Oh for christssakes...
Posted: 3/10/08 at 9:01pm

Keep in mind THIS IS THE FIRST WEEK OF PREVIEWS. I would wait and see how things go before everyone gets up in arms over nothing.

And, I agree that Lupone is not a name known to people who aren't into theatre and therefor wouldn't attract people to come see the show specially tourists. Who, by the way saw the show four years ago. I do agree that this was a passion project for Laurents. And Lupone Fanatic, the people who have heard of Lupone do know some aspect of musical theatre or another based upon the kind of stuff she sings.

I just feel that this isn't going to make a ton of money and be that profitiable. Mainly because, there are a ton of people who saw the show at City Center over the summer and therefor don't find a need to see it and also because Gypsy hasn't been a show that has been successful.

Now, I am going to see this production because it is a show that I have never seen before and I feel that as a musical theatre fan it is one of those shows that musical theatre fans should see. For me, the main draw is Laura Benanti.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#39Oh for christssakes...
Posted: 3/10/08 at 9:02pm

Wow, Flaunt It, you's a dick.

As for me, so long as it runs through May 10th, I'm happy.

A Tony for Patti would be nice too, but I wouldn't cry.

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley

#40Oh for christssakes...
Posted: 3/10/08 at 9:06pm

Anita Morris would have loved it.

& not felt the need to pee on anyone's parade.

Flaunt It
#41Oh for christssakes...
Posted: 3/10/08 at 9:14pm

Wow.. you speak to the dead? Is it Merman dropping the lights on Patti?

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#42Oh for christssakes...
Posted: 3/10/08 at 9:18pm

I love Patti LuPONE!

Oh for christssakes...

J* Updated On: 3/10/08 at 09:18 PM

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#43Oh for christssakes...
Posted: 3/10/08 at 9:25pm

not that I think there's much point to this thread, but did you happen to look at the actual dollar grosses? Gypsy made more than several shows that had higher attendance percentages, INCLUDING In the Heights, which was at 89.3%. AND Gypsy only had 7 previews, while ITH had 7 previews and Opening Night. so it's not like the show isn't making any money.

also, I definitely agree with PalJoey re: Hillary and Patti hate. people are so incredibly vicious when it comes to both of them, to the point where it seems pathological.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
Updated On: 3/10/08 at 09:25 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#44Oh for christssakes...
Posted: 3/10/08 at 9:44pm

Merman to speaks to me, daily, from her grave, and this is what she says about YOU, Flaunt It:

Oh for christssakes...

"Hello, PJ? It's ME, Ethel! How's it hangin'? You tell that Flaunt It he's a See-You-Next-Tuesday. Can you say that on BroadwayWorld? No? Frick it. Then tell him this, FROM ME: He's a See-You-Next-Tuesday with a dick like a Bic. Okay, PJ? Bye now, and give my love to Rob and Craig."

Tom148502
#45Oh for christssakes...
Posted: 3/10/08 at 9:54pm

"Well, I refuse to believe that La Lupone is only at 52% ok??? It just can't be! I had a dreaaaaammmm... "

Many weeks of the LuPone SWEENEY TODD revival were 40% or under.

Flaunt It
#46Oh for christssakes...
Posted: 3/10/08 at 10:04pm

Merman was more the type who gave no time or energy to the people who didnt matter... the treatment she gave Earnest Borgnine in her autobiography.

bwayguy22089
#47Oh for christssakes...
Posted: 3/10/08 at 10:08pm

even if the show does close, i dont think it will be a financial disaster. they spent, like no money on the show. it is being done for the cast. isnt it a limited run anyway? its fine.
Updated On: 3/10/08 at 10:08 PM

GoSmileLaughCryClap Profile Photo
GoSmileLaughCryClap
#48Oh for christssakes...
Posted: 3/10/08 at 10:15pm

The original production of Sweeney Todd played at 50% capacity for a month of previews, even with Angela Lansbury at the helm.

And lots of shows have had 90% preview weeks, only to close quickly after bad reviews.

If you think that filling 14,000 seats a week is made up predominantly of theater savvy internet posting hand wringers, you're wrong.

And of course the full price tickets that actually pay the bills and insure a long run are rarely held by the discount sniffing on-line theater addicts.
Updated On: 3/10/08 at 10:15 PM

Brick
#49Oh for christssakes...
Posted: 3/10/08 at 10:39pm

PalJoey, I love you. I was thinking the same thing!

And everyone else, let's ignore FlauntIt. He's quite predictable and dull.