Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?

BenKaye Profile Photo
BenKaye
#1Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?
Posted: 3/30/08 at 10:24pm

What do you think is the better/more powerful song?

Rose's Turn from Gypsy?

or

Lot's Wife from Caroline, Or Change?

IMHO, it's Lot's Wife.

My blog- http://okayentertainment.blogspot.com/

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#2re: Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?
Posted: 3/30/08 at 10:27pm

oh! I thought I was going to be the lone voice for "Lot's Wife"!

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#2re: Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?
Posted: 3/30/08 at 10:29pm

Rose's Turn

Poster Emeritus

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#3re: Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?
Posted: 3/30/08 at 10:32pm

Rose's Turn.

They can't be compared. As wonderful as "Lot's Wife" is, it can't touch "Rose's Turn."

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Invito Al Cielo Profile Photo
Invito Al Cielo
#4re: Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?
Posted: 3/30/08 at 10:40pm

Lot's Wife.

bwayguy22089
#5re: Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?
Posted: 3/30/08 at 10:43pm

I think they are equally as powerful. However, I think Rose's Turn is written better and easier to listen to.

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#6re: Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?
Posted: 3/30/08 at 10:44pm

Rose's Turn, by a mile.

I do love Lot's Wife though.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#7re: Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?
Posted: 3/30/08 at 10:44pm

Please. Rose's Turn. Lot's Wife is an imitation. A good one, but not better.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#8re: Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?
Posted: 3/30/08 at 10:45pm

Another Lot's Wife here. Rose's Turn may have been first, but you can't beat Tonya.

heathurrr
#9re: Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?
Posted: 3/30/08 at 10:47pm

Whew, that's a toughy. I can't pick!

"As we all should probably have learned by now, to be a Stephen Sondheim fan is to have one's heart broken at regular intervals" - Frank Rich

Dearest, how can this be so? You were dead, you know. - Candide

Oh my god, this show has everything! Half naked guys and girl on girl action! - [title of show]

(My avatar? Why, yes! That is Laura Benanti making out with a chick!)

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#10re: Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?
Posted: 3/30/08 at 10:51pm

Really?

Rose's Turn.

And yes, you CAN beat Tonya.

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#11re: Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?
Posted: 3/30/08 at 11:03pm

I think it's apples to oranges, personally. They're two great songs, but they're not that similar in my head. Yes, they're both a mental breakdown, but musical theatre is FULL of those. Some are just quieter than others.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#12re: Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?
Posted: 3/30/08 at 11:07pm

Both are terrific, but (with a few exceptions) we have only seen one take on "Lot's Wife".

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#13re: Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?
Posted: 3/30/08 at 11:08pm

Sorry, but it is Rose's Turn. I just saw Gypsy last night and I was shocked at how much Patti has grown into the role since City Center. She blew the roof off of the St. James. I have NEVER seen a better performance than the one I saw last night.

I haven't seen Faith Prince yet, but I can't imaging the Tony voters passing up a chance to reward Lupone for her performance. I truly think it will go down as one of the best ever on the stage.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#14re: Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?
Posted: 3/31/08 at 12:47am

They are SO different, I don't see how you can compare them.
On one hand I think there wouldn't be a "Lot's Wife" without "Rose's Turn." What Sondheim did with that number (and from what I've read it was his idea to combine different motifs and lyrics from the show into one big break-down) was simply an act of genius. Getting to a point where Rose is really doing her own striptease of emotions is just thrilling to watch and listening to Rose use lyrics that belonged to her daughters and giving it a completely different spin is chilling.
However, what Kushner and Tesori have done with "Lot's Wife" is write one of the most politically charged musical numbers while letting the unspoken voice sing out for once. Much like Rose, Caroline has sacrificed her own dreams and life for her children. Unlike Rose, Caroline basically had no choice. It's such a heart-breaking number and it has such a bare, awful revelatory comment on American society, history, and womanhood that I just think it transcends the nervous break-down of Rose.
I pick "Lot's Wife."
And I'm sorry Patti's performance has nothing to do with "Rose's Turn" or "Lot's Wife" in terms of this thread. I feel "Lot's Wife" is not a song that leaves you thinking (wow, Tonya Pinkins really blew the roof off the Eugene O'Neill), it's a song that makes you ponder about much bigger issues.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

spell7107 Profile Photo
spell7107
#15re: Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?
Posted: 3/31/08 at 12:55am

Rose's Turn and Lot's Wife are both outrageously powerful, but Rose's Turn is better because it is easy to remember and has emotions that everyone feels at one time or another.

BkCollector
#16re: Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?
Posted: 3/31/08 at 12:56am

Lot's Wife. Hands down.

friedrichVT
#17re: Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?
Posted: 3/31/08 at 1:18am

She blew something of the Eugene O'neill but it was her vocal cords...NOT the roof.

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#18re: Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?
Posted: 3/31/08 at 1:24am

OMG. I luv "Gotta Go My Own Way" from HSM2. That gurl is fiercer than all of these old people combeined.

In all honesty though - I love both pieces. I really cannot compare them. They are both equally effective for me in the context of their respective shows.

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#19re: Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?
Posted: 3/31/08 at 1:57am

I agree they are both completly differnt pieces. According to my itunes i enjoy Lots Wife a hell of alot more than Rose's Turn but thats cuz I dont have a recording of Patti yet. I think though one reason they cant be compared is that only one person has ever sang lot's wife. And i somehow believe its going to be like the for a long time. I Really cant pick between the two because i really like both songs but i really would like to hear more versions of Lot's Wife. I think one reason Rose's Turn is the standout among the musical theatre mental breakdown's is because besides the fact that its genius, so many great women have sang it.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#20re: Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?
Posted: 3/31/08 at 1:58am

I find it painful to listen to "Lot's Wife," not because of the lyrics, but because Tonya Pinkins' voice is cracking and going flat left and right. It hurts my ears to listen to it.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
#21re: Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?
Posted: 3/31/08 at 6:00am

Rose's Turn.....

Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis

lesmis Profile Photo
lesmis
#22re: Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?
Posted: 3/31/08 at 6:04am

Rose's Turn

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#23re: Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?
Posted: 3/31/08 at 9:52am

Lot's Wife is an imitation. A good one, but not better.

An imitation of what? It certainly is not an imitation of Rose's Turn. Other than being female 11 o'clock numbers, they share virtually nothing in common. Not style, content, emotion, character, or story.

Rose's Turn is a great number and a classic, but for me, it never came close to the chilling raw emotional devastation I feel when I hear Lot's Wife. Perhaps when I have heard 20-odd years of theatre queens, drag acts, and every Broadway diva performing the death out of Lot's Wife my opinion will change, but for now my vote is Lot's Wife.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

sweetiedarlinmia Profile Photo
sweetiedarlinmia
#24re: Rose's Turn, or Lot's Wife?
Posted: 3/31/08 at 10:04am

Lot's Wife. It rips my heart out everytime.