pixeltracker

"Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today."

"Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today."

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#1"Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today."
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:14pm

Just thought I'd share - today at Gypsy about a minute before the show started the announcer came over and said, "Ladies and gentlemen, Ms. Patti LuPone is not feeling well today. However, she knows the meaning of "the show must go on" and that is what will happen today." (Not exact wording, but you catch my drift.)

She still kicked ass though. She sounded amazing, though at times you could clearly tell she was sick. She was coughing a lot and sounded pretty nasly when she spoke. Still, she did not let it get to her performance and gave everything 150%. I really respect her; at curtain she looked so accomplish.

Just thought it was interesting and I should share!

SahDu
#2re: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today.'
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:15pm

Ha. I wonder why they said anything at all. Pretty amusing anecdote. Thanks for sharing.
Updated On: 2/15/14 at 09:15 PM

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#2re: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today.'
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:15pm

Ah, I was really expecting you to say that she was out. Good on her for going on anyway.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

bertandrew2 Profile Photo
bertandrew2
#3re: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today.'
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:19pm

Maybe she ate too much live lobster.

Good for her for going on and giving it her all!!!

FIERCEY516
#4re: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today.'
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:20pm

damn you Patti... you fierce bitch.

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#5re: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today.'
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:21pm

Laura was coughing a lot too. Must be something going around backstage there.

It was amusing hearing everyone hold their breath after "Patti LuPone is not feeling well today".

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#6re: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today.'
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:25pm

DAMN! I was really hoping this was a notice of Lenora Nemetz going on for the first time.

There's something bad going around all over though. I just got sick too (and performed last night oMg Im LyK tEh PaTti)

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

christhefish Profile Photo
christhefish
#7re: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today.'
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:27pm

I don't love Patty as a preformor but that is one classy move. I give her all the credit in the world.

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#8re: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today.'
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:34pm

LuPone is a trouper and real Broadway pro... no doubt about it.

But you also have to factor in that her name is above the title so if she doesn't show up EVERYONE is entitled to a refund.

What great ones do the less will prattle of

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#9re: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today.'
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:34pm

Good for her! I don't wanna think about the angry mob that would attack Lenora Nemetz.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#10re: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today.'
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:35pm

Who else gets that announcement before a show?
It comes with Divadom.

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#11re: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today.'
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:35pm

"But you also have to factor in that her name is above the title so if she doesn't show up EVERYONE is entitled to a refund."

Above the title? Hell, her name is pretty much in the title.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#12re: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today.'
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:38pm

Lol, seriously.

I would be disappointed after that announcement if all she did was cough. With that kind of fanfare, you'd think they were anticipating she might have to rush offstage to vomit.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 4/6/08 at 09:38 PM

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#13re: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today.'
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:39pm

That was really nice of her to still perform. Way to go Patti!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#14re: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today.'
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:40pm

Excellent observation, Priest.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#15re: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today.'
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:40pm

That's our girl! Typical LuPone, good for her!

Ed_Mottershead
#16re: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today.'
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:42pm

I know that in opera, sometimes when a singer is not up to par, there will be an announcement prior to the beginning, something to the effect of, "Although Mme. ***** is indisposed this evening, she has graciously agreed to sing the role of ***** as scheduled and begs your indulgence." I haven't heard of this being done for a performer in a Broadway show before and applaud Ms. Lupone for going on. Patti on an off-night is better than 99 percent of everyone else at his/her best, IMO.

BroadwayEd

Prisoner 24601 Profile Photo
Prisoner 24601
#17re: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today.'
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:43pm

I find that a bit odd. Like walking into an audition and saying "I'm sorry, I'm a little sick today" before you perform odd. You know, why announce it? Just go on and be fierce anyway.

-Was that a fart?
-My fault, I fear.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#18re: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today.'
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:44pm

Did she come out of the stage door...did she take pics???

Just kidding :-p

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#19re: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today.'
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:49pm

Patti to her illness: "Haha, you got LuPwned"

...sorry I couldn't resist re: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today.'
anyway way to go Ms. Patti! What a trooper.
Though I wonder how long the thought of infecting other castmembers vs just letting Nemetz have her moment went through her head.

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott
Updated On: 4/6/08 at 09:49 PM

#20re: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today.'
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:57pm

I would LOVE to be able to pull up the comments people made when mere mortal Bernadette Peters coughed her way through the show. The double standard around here would be staggering if we hadn't seen it displayed so often.

aliciag Profile Photo
aliciag
#21re: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today.'
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:57pm

That's awesome that she still went on and nailed it.
And at least she has till Tuesday night to get better!

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#22re: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today.'
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:58pm

So true, Joe, so true.
EDIT: I need to learn how to type sometime soon.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.
Updated On: 4/6/08 at 09:58 PM

hornbass
#23re: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today.'
Posted: 4/6/08 at 10:04pm

I knew it..I was at Saturday night's performance. I figurd she wasn't feeling well. Yes she's still amazing and gave it her all for Rose's Turn, but you could tell she was holding back to save it all for that. You could tell she wasn't feeling all that well. Even with that she is so amazing.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#25re: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Patti LuPone is not feeling well today.'
Posted: 4/6/08 at 10:16pm

I applaud any actor that goes on when not feeling well. I can only imagine how tough that is. However, I think Patti's ego would not let her go on without the announcement since she knew she was not at her best. I have seen a couple of performers go on with colds and such and no announcement has ever been made. I think a performer needs to trust the audience to be able to tell if someone is coughing or has a sore throat and cannot reach the notes they normally do. It's part of the live theatre experience. Otherwise, we would just go see movies.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

Videos