"Follies in Concert" Comments

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#1"Follies in Concert" Comments
Posted: 4/10/08 at 4:16pm

I LOVE "Follies" and one of my favorite songs is "Waiting for the Girls Upstairs".

However, in the recording Lee Remick, who is a good Phyllis, sings her opening line "Waiting around for the boys below, stalling as long as we DARE", do you just hate how she is flat on DARE??????
Everytime I listen to it, I think it will be different.

Also, don't you wish that Sondheim had given a "no go" to the solo version of "Buddy's Blues"?

And (on a side note) I had a "Follies" Dream last night and Jane Fonda was Phyllis.

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#2re: 'Follies in Concert' Comments
Posted: 4/10/08 at 4:42pm

For me Barbara Cook singing "In Buddy's Eyes" and "Losing my mind" more than make up for the Patinkin's manic Buddy and Remick's less than perfect singing.

My wish is that they had issued the concert recording dialogue and all.

What great ones do the less will prattle of

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#2re: 'Follies in Concert' Comments
Posted: 4/10/08 at 4:46pm

I kinda like the solo Buddy's Blues--makes alot of sense and is a challenge for the actor.

Hey, he didn't pick Lee cause she can SANG. For me, it was more of the way she pronounces DARE. Like "day-er"

Phyllis Newman does it for me...

BigFatBlonde
#3re: 'Follies in Concert' Comments
Posted: 4/10/08 at 4:49pm

Can't forget to mention how much I love George Hearn.

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#4re: 'Follies in Concert' Comments
Posted: 4/10/08 at 4:50pm

I really like the solo Buddy, personally.

I love Follies in concert, but I love the NJ cast recording the most, mostly because of its completeness.

BigFatBlonde
#5re: 'Follies in Concert' Comments
Posted: 4/10/08 at 4:54pm

I'm partly blinded by the fact that I'm not a big Patinkin fan, so I would probably appreciate the solo-Buddy's Blues choice more with another actor.

..ok.. the Stritch singing "Broadway Baby" = PERFECTION

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#6re: 'Follies in Concert' Comments
Posted: 4/10/08 at 4:58pm

It's not my favorite recording, although it was the very first Follies recording I ever bought.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#7re: 'Follies in Concert' Comments
Posted: 4/10/08 at 5:00pm

I can't say I love the Follies in Concert album. I love Remick and Cook, but Patinkin is too young for Buddy, though I like his Buddy's Blues. George Hearn is just too strong of a singer for Ben. Stritch is great, but she takes the tempo of her song too damned slow.
But why carp? It's more complete than the OBCR.

BigFatBlonde
#8re: 'Follies in Concert' Comments
Posted: 4/10/08 at 5:00pm

Same here, Phyl!

At the end of the day.. I have to go with OBC cast recording. I know it is flawed.. but who else can touch Dorothy Collins and Alexis Smith?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#9re: 'Follies in Concert' Comments
Posted: 4/10/08 at 5:46pm

No one.

Gothampc
#10re: 'Follies in Concert' Comments
Posted: 4/10/08 at 5:54pm

I wasn't thrilled with Carol Burnett's "I'm Still Here". It bugs me that she tried to do a comic bit with:

I've been through Herbert and J. Edgar Hoo-WOO-ver

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#11re: 'Follies in Concert' Comments
Posted: 4/10/08 at 6:35pm

wasn't thrilled with Carol Burnett's "I'm Still Here". It bugs me that she tried to do a comic bit with:

She always tends to be broad where a broad shouldn't be broad.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#12re: 'Follies in Concert' Comments
Posted: 4/27/08 at 7:31pm

Thanks for all the replies!!!!!!
Here are some thoughts:
lildogs- I never thought of looking at "Buddy's Blues" that way. I kinda like that was of thinking!

Gothampc- I've also not been fond of the way Burnett sing Hoover! I also hate the way she sings "....vamp, then someone's mother, then you're KEAMP". I HATE IT!!!!!!

BkCollector
#13re: 'Follies in Concert' Comments
Posted: 4/27/08 at 7:32pm

One star turn after another, it's kind of bland. Its my least favorite.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#14re: 'Follies in Concert' Comments
Posted: 4/27/08 at 7:33pm

I hate how they truncated the Overture.

MisterRussell Profile Photo
MisterRussell
#15re: 'Follies in Concert' Comments
Posted: 4/27/08 at 7:36pm

I got to play Buddy in the Concert Version a few years back. That solo "Buddy's Blues" is a bitch. Luckily, the rental score gives you the option to add the two women back in.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#16re: 'Follies in Concert' Comments
Posted: 4/27/08 at 8:48pm

Mandy Patinkin's "Buddy's Blues" is just a vanity project, so misconceived and over the top. The best renditions of that song that I've listened to are by Gene Nelson and Larry Blyden who performed the song at a Sondheim concert accompanied by none other than Chita Rivera and Donna McKechnie. Michael McGrath was wonderful though, and his ladies were really funny actually.
Cook's Sally is beautifully sung and I of course love Stritch singing "Broadway Baby." I also really like the young ones (Liz Callaway, Daisy Prince, Jim Walton, and Howard McGillin--who I hope to see as Ben one day).
It does feature my favorite legally recorded version of "The Story of Lucy and Jessie" simply because of the way it ends with the "Lucy's a lassie" verse sung at a quicker tempo. Apparently this is the way Murphy wanted to sing it at Encores! but Sondheim would not allow it.
Patinkin said that Lee Remick couldn't sing and perhaps he is somewhat right, but I think she works as Phyllis.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 4/27/08 at 08:48 PM

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#17re: 'Follies in Concert' Comments
Posted: 4/27/08 at 8:56pm

Barbara Cook makes that concert.
Did not like Patinkin or Burnett.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#18re: 'Follies in Concert' Comments
Posted: 4/27/08 at 9:38pm

It's on of my favorite DVDs, flaws and all. Gems like Comden & Green doing Rain on the Roof. Stritch still manages to steal the show from such a star studded cast. Phyllis Newman is great on Who's That Woman (the mirror song).

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Dollypop
#19re: 'Follies in Concert' Comments
Posted: 4/27/08 at 9:40pm

I was actually at one of the performances. It was a totally electrifying evening for me.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#20re: 'Follies in Concert' Comments
Posted: 4/27/08 at 9:45pm

Ray- I know you know this, but its not "Michael McGillin," but Howard McGillin :)

I really don't like this concert. While Comden and Green, Stritch, Newman, and the young couples are thrilling, the rest of the performers don't do it for me. Cook is the only lead that I can listen to.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#21re: 'Follies in Concert' Comments
Posted: 4/27/08 at 9:46pm

Oops, gotta edit! Thanks for noticing that, jewishboy.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

BNN
#22re: 'Follies in Concert' Comments
Posted: 4/27/08 at 10:11pm

I think I have logged more play on Rain on the Roof than any other track from that CD, if that means anything.

Tick Tock

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#23re: 'Follies in Concert' Comments
Posted: 4/27/08 at 10:18pm

I saw it twice, and each time made me sadder. The cast was star-studded, as a Follies cast should be, and for the most part good. But there was no excitement there.

And that's when I realized I would never have the experience I had at the Winter Garden because the key ingredient of the magic of the original production was gone: Michael Bennett.

We still have Sondheim's score, which is nonpareil, and Goldman's book, for better or for worse. Maybe someday we'll have costumes and sets as sumptuous as those of Florence Klotz and Boris Aronson.

But it was the genius of Michael Bennett, moreso than Hal Prince, that is lost and never be recaptured, recreated or bettered.

The staging, the endless series of gasp-inducing coups de theatre--these are things only Michael Bennett could come up with.

I go back every time it's revived, but it can only what it is. It will never be what it was.

And that's what Follies is all about, isn't it? That's what it's really about.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#24re: 'Follies in Concert' Comments
Posted: 4/27/08 at 10:34pm

I posted a piece of the original cast. Go now, before it's deleted.

The moment at 3:49 when the ghosts are revealed is the magic of Michael Bennett--and then at 5:04 when the ghosts break through! That's an orgasmic coup de theatre.

At 5:35, the audience starts to spontaneously applaud--from the sheer magic.

Who's That Woman

Updated On: 4/27/08 at 10:34 PM

Videos