pixeltracker

The Phantom Of The Opera- Page 2

The Phantom Of The Opera

EdmundOG
#25re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/25/08 at 8:37am

It's okay. It's got some of the worst lyrics ever put to music, though, so be warned.

Broadway212 Profile Photo
Broadway212
#26re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/25/08 at 10:16am

Bwaybabe2 I thought the movie was put together well and really enjoyed it. I know it's not going to be exactly like the play but it should be similar
Updated On: 5/25/08 at 10:16 AM

puppetman2
#27re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/25/08 at 11:22am

I've seen PHANTOM 16 times - New York, Toronto and the tour. It was my favorite until I saw Ave Q, I find the plot very much the Beauty and the Beast story - the outsider longing for love and can relate to that. Have lived through it often. The music is fantastic, especially in the instrumental recordings and fits the time frame perfectly.

As to the falling chandelier, there are safty rules that have to be observed. When it first opened, that was as fast as the fall was allowed. These is a contest between the various versions as to who has the fastest fall.

It Sucks To Be Me
Updated On: 5/28/08 at 11:22 AM

Broadway212
#28re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/25/08 at 1:37pm

is the first row to close to the stage

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#29re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/25/08 at 3:46pm

It's an amazing show.

It's been a part of my life for 22 years.

Enjoy.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Broadway212
#30re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/25/08 at 4:03pm

EponineAmneris thanks I have been hearing great things about this show so it should be good.

changinandhow Profile Photo
changinandhow
#31re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/25/08 at 5:40pm

I think Phantom is a great show, and for first-timers the spectacle of it is always a treat. John Cudia is a stellar Phantom, I saw him a couple of times on tour this year and I think he just gets better and better. Enjoy it!

Taka Profile Photo
Taka
#32re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/25/08 at 6:23pm

John Cuida is AMAZING as the Phantom.

I couldn't tell you about the rest of the actors, though.

SporkGoddess
#33re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/25/08 at 7:32pm

westcoast_wannabe, just because someone hates PotO doesn't mean it isn't their own opinion and they just want to sound like a true theatre fan. I dislike PotO and can tell you the exact reasons why, reasons that I formed on my own. Maybe you and others have mindlessly hated it, but that isn't true for all of us. I've seen the show, so I have every right to dislike it.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 5/25/08 at 07:32 PM

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#34re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/25/08 at 7:54pm

I agree with those who say it's a mixed bag. I'd give the material (although I haven't seen the current cast) **1/2 out of ****. It's really nothing incredible as most tourists make it out to be.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#35re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/25/08 at 7:55pm

After seeing it in Vegas, I have a hard time reccomending the dilapidated New York production to anyone.

george95
#36re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/25/08 at 8:37pm

Nothing dilapidated about the New York production. It is kept in tip-top 1988 shape by its director, Harold Prince.

westcoast_wannabe Profile Photo
westcoast_wannabe
#37re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/25/08 at 9:44pm

Sporkgoddess it sounds like I struck a nerve. Just kidding!!! I know a lot of people who hate the show whose opinions I fully respect. It's far from a perfect show, and definitely not to everyone’s liking, but most people rag on the show just because it's "the thing to do." My post wasn’t meant to imply that everyone who doesn't enjoy it is wrong for not enjoying it, just that to point out that there are those out there who use putting down successful shows to illustrate their "superior" taste.

Updated On: 5/26/08 at 09:44 PM

bwaybabe2
#38re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/26/08 at 5:20am

westcoast_wannabe...thanks for the "rant". A very good point, you make. It is called "mob mentality", which a lot of people adhere to, just not to be "out". And, yes, what you said :I

As far a s "where to sit", Broadway212, I can tell you that, I sat at the very back of the theatre (one with no coluums to obstruct), and I had a great viewing experience.
You probabley do not want to sit too close, as there is a lot of what I call "landscape" action, when you want to sit where the perspective is a bit more encompassing than in the very front.
...not to mention the "falling Chandelier"... :o

Broadway212
#39re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/26/08 at 9:01am

Bwaybabe2 thanks for the advice. Not knowing anything about the show I got the first thing that came up and it was front row. I was wondering if the stage is right next to the row or is there an orchestra pit first

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#40re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/26/08 at 9:51am

It's better to sit up front, imo.

I love the show, but mostly for sentimental reasons. It was only my second Broadway/West End show ever. It's a whole lot of fun though. Especially the opening scene!

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#41re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/26/08 at 9:58am

I saw act II of Phantom from the first row (had an orchestra seat and moved to an empty first row seat at the intermission) and being that I have seen the show a few times I didn't consider it close. I considered it cool to be seeing things this close to the action. But, if it is your first time going I don't know if I would suggest sitting that far up. The sets are amazing and I would reccomend being a few rows back so you can get the big picture rather then sitting so close that you have to turn your head back and forth like your watching a tennis game to get the full effect.

And westcoast_wannabe just to add something to what has been said. Just because something is a sell out show (Phantom, Wicked The Lion King etc) doesn't mean it is a GOOD show. There is a difference. Do I like Wicked and Phantom? Yes, but I also realize that there are far better things out there then those two shows.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#42re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/26/08 at 10:04am

Yeah, like Winston said, 5th row or so is ideal. Maybe even 10th row at the Majestic. I personally did not like my 10th row seats when I last saw it on Broadway back in July. But it depends on the person.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

Broadway212
#43re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/26/08 at 10:26am

I really don't like sitting anywhere but the first 5 rows I feel any further back and you get lost. These were the first tickets that came up so I just took them.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#44re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/26/08 at 10:29am

Regarding the chandelier, I believe the reason it falls so slowly has something to do with fire code issues. I am not 100% sure, but I thought I read that in another post on this board. I'm sure if the director could, they'd improve that moment in the show.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

george95
#45re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/26/08 at 11:37am

The first time I saw Phantom at the Majestic, I sat in the front row, and I couldn't have been more excited because I am a typical Phantom-wacko-fan. And boyyyy was I disappointed. It was pretty much the same thing as sitting in the front row at the movies---I had to crane my neck to see things, I could only really look at one part of the stage--and with Phantom there's so much going on you really want to see it all.

I recommend the front Mezz for Phantom. It overhangs row H or the orch; you get the full picture of the show, youre still close enough to see faces; and you get to see the Phantom running around the catwalk while he ruins Carlotta's voice and shakes the chandelier.
I dont know why everyone insists on spazzing about how slow the chandelier falls. The ascent is a million times more thrilling, and it is cool to watch it go up again during the intermission.

SwtHrtBallerina Profile Photo
SwtHrtBallerina
#46re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/26/08 at 11:40am

I absolutely LOVE this show!! It was my first favorite! I memorized all the music when I was 8 years old, and then my parents surprised me and took me to see it when I was 10. Since then i've seen it 5 times. Four Nat'l Tour Casts, and 1 time in London.

For the current NYC cast - many of them started on the nat'l tours. I've seen Tim Martin Gleason, Kim Stengel, George Lee Andrews, and David Cryer. All of them I thought were wonderful!! I saw them all perform together back on the nat'l tour back in 2004.

This show is definitely a must see!!!

I've sat in many various places with this show. Once in the 4th row, once in the last row, once in the front of the dress circle. Although the 4th row was great b/c you could see facial expressions up close, i felt like I had tunnel vision and couldn't take it all in at once. It was sort of like sitting in one of the front rows at a movie theatre. Yea you can see ditails, but you can't take it in all at once. I thought the front of the dress circle seats were the best. You're not too far, and not too close. You can see all the stage at once, yet can still make out the faces and everything. That would be my recommendation.

theatre2
#47re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/26/08 at 11:40am

i have seen phantom of the opera two times in boston and i loved it but it should colesd in new york because i show can not go on and on forever.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#48re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/26/08 at 11:43am

"it should colesd in new york because i show can not go on and on forever."

Bryan. Please.

re: The Phantom Of The Opera

BroadwayBelle2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBelle2
#49re: The Phantom Of The Opera
Posted: 5/26/08 at 11:58am

Phantom of the Opera was the first show I ever saw. I was 10 and really loved it. It's a great show that's why it's been on broadway for years!