pixeltracker

Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race

Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race

esparza 333
#1Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race
Posted: 5/30/08 at 11:08pm

Well we can all count out Christopher Fitzgerald who had an okay performance. Personally I think both Daniel Breaker and Robin De Jesus are amazing but neither stole the show. I think it is either Boyd's or Danny's. Even though most people think Boyd is going to win ( and he was phenomenal in Gypsy)I think since he already has 3 tony awards ( correct me if I am wrong) the voters will probably want to reward someone new like Danny who was awesome in South Pacific.

Your thoughts?

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

NYCboy2 Profile Photo
NYCboy2
#2re: Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race
Posted: 5/30/08 at 11:09pm

dude, is this necessary? are you going to create threads on all your choices. jeez!

jennyish Profile Photo
jennyish
#2re: Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race
Posted: 5/30/08 at 11:16pm

Nope. It's Boyd. Boyd all the way. His performance has a whole class to itself.

If he doesn't win, I will be seriously upset.

I chose, and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not.

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#3re: Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race
Posted: 5/30/08 at 11:20pm

why are we counting out Chris F.??

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#4re: Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race
Posted: 5/30/08 at 11:26pm

I think it is going to go to Daniel Breaker.

They are going to want to reward PASSING STRANGE somehow, and IN THE HEIGHTS is most likely going to take Score, Orchestrations, and Musical.

So they will give Featured Actor to Daniel Breaker, who is a marvelously talented up-and-comer, and possibly also give Best Leading Actor to Stew, to reward him for his work on PS as well.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#5re: Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race
Posted: 5/30/08 at 11:31pm

I'm not sure Boyd has this in the bag, although his performance is wonderful.

bigred3535
#6re: Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race
Posted: 5/30/08 at 11:32pm

Daniel Breaker was incredible in Passing Strange. I haven't seen South Pacific, but I think he was better than Boyd was in Gypsy. For one thing, he was creating a role and did it very imaginatively and originally. That's not to say Boyd's performance was derivative or bad, but just that I think Breaker had a tougher job and accomplished it very well.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#7re: Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race
Posted: 5/30/08 at 11:34pm

I think Chris and Andrea should win because there are the only redeming quality of YF.

Wanna Be A Foster
#8re: Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race
Posted: 5/30/08 at 11:35pm

Honey, YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN isn't winning anything.

They should be happy with their three nominations.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#9re: Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race
Posted: 5/30/08 at 11:38pm

I agree with WBaF! with Breaker winning the TONYS or might actually win it, if Boyd does not get it. They have to reward PASSING STRANGE somehow! re: Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race

another double agree on YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN wont win anything! lol!

J*

Updated On: 5/30/08 at 11:38 PM

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#10re: Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race
Posted: 5/30/08 at 11:42pm

Although it's one of the few Passing Strange nominations that I'm not sure they should win for, I think that Stew and Heidi will win for Best Orchestrations. As WBaF said, In the Heights is going to take the big prize, but people are going to want to reward Passing Strange somehow, so it will get Orchestrations and Best Featured Actor. I think Paulo Szot is getting Best Actor.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#11re: Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race
Posted: 5/30/08 at 11:43pm

Boyd is the favorite but Breaker may indeed be taking home the medallion on June 15.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#12re: Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race
Posted: 5/31/08 at 12:04am

I think this is a bit too over-analyzed...while I do think that Benanti and LuPone are locks and Gaines is a pretty sure bet and obviously the one of the three of them to possibly not win, I think he's still going to.

If not, it will be Daniel Breaker.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#13re: Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race
Posted: 5/31/08 at 1:10am

I could be wrong, but,
I think Danny Burstein will Win this Award.

Gaines is the best Herbie ever, but it's not an award winning role.
The other three are also-rans.
This is one case where the voters may reward Burstein for SOUTH PACIFIC and THE DROWSEY CHAPERONE.

WICKEDrOcks, there are no LoCks.
There is always at least one upset.

Wanna Be A Foster
#14re: Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race
Posted: 5/31/08 at 1:27am

This is Burstein's tenth Broadway show. The man has certainly been around the block and back. I wouldn't complain if he were to win.

As for upsets, I wouldn't be surprised if Olga Merediz beats out Benanti for Featured Actress.

-Kad

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#15re: Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race
Posted: 5/31/08 at 2:16am

I SO wish for Fitzgerald to take the award. I think he is a delight in that show.

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

buddharich
#16re: Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race
Posted: 5/31/08 at 9:27am

I want Robin DeJesus to win the award. I'd be fine with Boyd Gaines winning a fourth Tony, or Danny Burstein or Christopher Fitzgerald. I disliked every single element about Passing Strange, my least favorite show EVER, and I did not care in the least for Daniel Breaker. I don't know why people think PS needs to win in any categories. I'm hoping it's shut out completely, but I suspect it will win in one or two categories (score and orchestrations seem the most likely categories).

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#17re: Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race
Posted: 5/31/08 at 9:38am

Also hoping for DeJesus, but could definitely see Breaker winning. Also agree that Fitzgerald (at least for me) was the only redeeming feature of "YF"-

Think this catergory is wide open.

Think that Merediz is building up a lot of steam, and could beat out the fabulous Benanti.

Wanna Be A Foster
#18re: Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race
Posted: 5/31/08 at 10:14am

I think Benanti's inability to ever maintain a Broadway schedule could be held against her (for whatever the reasons - they always seem to be different depending on the show), whereas Olga Merediz has been performing non-stop on Broadway since 1984 and finally is being given the opportunity to originate a brand new role from scratch, and boy does she deliver.

-Kad

Hair08
#19re: Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race
Posted: 6/4/08 at 2:40pm

Wow buddharich why so harsh in regards to Passing Strange? And not to mention Daniel Breaker? His is an incredible talent! By it is your opinion.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#20re: Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race
Posted: 6/4/08 at 2:45pm

I think Chris and Andrea should win because there are the only redeming quality of YF.

Ha ha, "And the award to the only redeeming quality in an awful show goes to..."

Some people's kids.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

jennyish Profile Photo
jennyish
#21re: Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race
Posted: 6/4/08 at 3:29pm

Herbie isn't an award-winning role, you're right. But that would make it all the better if Boyd won. He takes a character that could be so easily forgotten, especially next to LuPone's Rose, and makes him memorable. For the first time during a performance of Gypsy, I actually cared when Herbie left.

I chose, and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#22re: Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race
Posted: 6/4/08 at 3:41pm

I sincerely believe Daniel Breaker is going to win.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

NYCboy2 Profile Photo
NYCboy2
#23re: Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race
Posted: 6/4/08 at 4:05pm

yes! Daniel Breaker should win.

esparza 333
#24re: Esparza 333 thoughts about Best Featured Actor in a Musical Tony Race
Posted: 6/4/08 at 6:22pm

Since making this thread I have really discovered how wide open this category is.

Through articles and posts I have read, I have seen people favor everyone of the people in the categories. This is one of the stronger categories and I think it is anybody's game tony night ( But Fitzgerald still is the least likely in my mind)

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

Videos