Posted: 6/9/08 at 7:42pm

1. Sweeney Todd
2. Follies
3. Company

nitwit Profile Photo
nitwit
#26re: Favorite Sondhiem Show
Posted: 6/9/08 at 7:47pm

west side story. the jets and sharks are HAWT!!!

dalefully Profile Photo
dalefully
#27re: Favorite Sondhiem Show
Posted: 6/9/08 at 7:49pm

Assassins

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#28re: Favorite Sondhiem Show
Posted: 6/9/08 at 7:49pm

Gypsy and Little Night Music

Didn't like Sweeny

chris d
#29re: Favorite Sondhiem Show
Posted: 6/9/08 at 7:51pm

company

bob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
#30re: Favorite Sondhiem Show
Posted: 6/9/08 at 8:17pm

Follies

THEATRE 2020: CURTAINS**** LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE GIRLS***** WICKED***** KEITH RAMSAY TAKING NOTES WITH EDWARD SECKERSON***** KAYLEIGH MCKNIGHT CONCERT***** RAGS***** ON MCQUILLAN'S HILL** DEAR EVAN HANSEN***** THE JURY***

walkedthroughmany Profile Photo
walkedthroughmany
#31re: Favorite Sondhiem Show
Posted: 6/9/08 at 8:22pm

1. Sunday in the Park with George
2. Company
3. A Little Night Music

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#32re: Favorite Sondhiem Show
Posted: 6/9/08 at 8:22pm

Into the Woods

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#33re: Favorite Sondhiem Show
Posted: 6/9/08 at 8:25pm

Can I answer everything? Having heard almost everything (still trying to hunt down some of his work from college and before that) I can honestly say that I have NEVER disliked one of his scores. Every now and then I came across a show that I had to see/listen to more than once, but I eventually would fall in love with it.

Although I can't say it is my favorite I can say that the cassette of "Merrily We Roll Along" is ALWAYS in my car.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

TheaterAddict7652
#34re: Favorite Sondhiem Show
Posted: 6/9/08 at 8:25pm

My personal favorite Sondheim show is Company. But his best work, in my opinion, is a tie between Sweeney and Sunday.

There's a lot I am not certain of...

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#35re: Favorite Sondhiem Show
Posted: 6/9/08 at 8:28pm

I could NEVER choose one, my obsession rotates every few months. But I think by top 3 would be
Company, Sweeney Todd, Assassins
And I have a special preference for Into the Woods because it was the show that introduced me to Sondheim

cubanito2 Profile Photo
cubanito2
#36re: Favorite Sondhiem Show
Posted: 6/9/08 at 8:33pm

Company just edges out Sweeney for me. Then Into the Woods & West Side are tied in third.

christhefish Profile Photo
christhefish
#37re: Favorite Sondhiem Show
Posted: 6/9/08 at 8:48pm

I think it would be nearly impossible to choose just one but I would have to say Sunday in the Park with George.

Company is a very close second.

I also love West Side Story but since Sondhiem only worte the lyrics for that I can only give him half credit for it

cfmiller Profile Photo
cfmiller
#38re: Favorite Sondhiem Show
Posted: 6/9/08 at 9:43pm

A Little Night Music. And if it had recently been revived like it deserves to be, a lot more of us would be mentioning it here.

heathurrr
#39re: Favorite Sondhiem Show
Posted: 6/9/08 at 9:44pm

I ache for a ALNM revival!

"As we all should probably have learned by now, to be a Stephen Sondheim fan is to have one's heart broken at regular intervals" - Frank Rich

Dearest, how can this be so? You were dead, you know. - Candide

Oh my god, this show has everything! Half naked guys and girl on girl action! - [title of show]

(My avatar? Why, yes! That is Laura Benanti making out with a chick!)

antz
#40re: Favorite Sondhiem Show
Posted: 6/9/08 at 9:57pm

Love them all, but if I must choose, today it would be:
1) Assassins
2) Sunday in the Park with George
3) Sweeney
5) Company
6) Follies
7) A Little Night Music
re: Favorite Sondhiem Show Into the Woods
9) Funny Thing Happened
10) Pacific Overtures

See, they're all great! Not to mention as a lyricist: West Side Story, and Gypsy

Hest882 Profile Photo
Hest882
#41re: Favorite Sondhiem Show
Posted: 6/10/08 at 12:56am

1) Sunday
2) Sweeney
3) Pacific Overtures

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#42re: Favorite Sondhiem Show
Posted: 6/10/08 at 12:57am

Company, Sunday, Sweeney, Merrily.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 6/10/08 at 12:57 AM

colleen_lee
#43re: Favorite Sondhiem Show
Posted: 6/10/08 at 1:02am

Sunday

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

LadyRosecoe
#44re: Favorite Sondhiem Show
Posted: 6/10/08 at 1:20am

Overall, it's the magic of FOLLIES.

But next, I think his technical best work is in Sweeney, with Sunday being his most beautiful work.

JBSinger
#45re: Favorite Sondhiem Show
Posted: 6/10/08 at 8:33am

1) Sweeney Todd (huge story, huge music, comedy, tragedy, love) it's got it all.
2) A Little Night Music (one of the most perfect shows ever written. Glorious music, enchanting story, brilliantly structured).
3) Into the Woods (I have a soft spot for this show. It's funny, clever, a great score and actually has something to say).
I love them all for different reasons, but these are my top three.

misschung
#46re: Favorite Sondhiem Show
Posted: 6/10/08 at 8:51am

Company, Merrily, Little Night Music.

Sweeney is probably one of his best shows, but I don't particularly care for it.

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

violet72 Profile Photo
violet72
#47re: Favorite Sondhiem Show
Posted: 6/10/08 at 9:34am

Wow this was hard...ok
1) company
2) sunday
3) sweeney
4) into the woods
5) follies
6)Assassins
7) merrily
re: Favorite Sondhiem Show Funny Thing
9) a little night music
10) Pacific overtures

I kept changing it even as I typed it...it changes day to day

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life. Define yourself"

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#48re: Favorite Sondhiem Show
Posted: 6/10/08 at 9:40am

This one is totally easy...

A Little Sunday in the Park with George's Night Music

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

Videos