NYCboy2
#2re: What Got u Hooked on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/08 at 12:47pm

The Lion King and Rent!

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#3re: What Got u Hooked on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/08 at 12:49pm

Oddly enough Les Miserables and Beauty and the Beast.

Jekyll & HYDE was the first show I'd consider myself a "big" fan though of (everything about the people, different productions, etc.!). Updated On: 6/12/08 at 12:49 PM

kyleorlando Profile Photo
kyleorlando
#4re: What Got u Hooked on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/08 at 12:51pm

Cats and Merlin

Current Avatar: Me.
Current Saying: What do you mean it isn't enough being pretty? Have you seen my headshots?!?

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#5re: What Got u Hooked on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/08 at 12:52pm

I had always liked seeing shows, but once I saw Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, I started joining message boards, looking up information, and seeing shows almost every other weekend.

BenKaye Profile Photo
BenKaye
#6re: What Got u Hooked on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/08 at 12:53pm

Avenue Q, and The Boy from Oz.

My blog- http://okayentertainment.blogspot.com/

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#7re: What Got u Hooked on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/08 at 12:54pm

You can't be that hooked, you're talking about soundtracks.

Mind you, you do seem like the kind of person who could enjoy the 'Rent' movie soundtrack despite there being a perfectly good cast recording available...

Anyhoo. I've always been into musicals, but 'Rent' and 'Wicked' combined hooked me on Broadway proper. See, it *is* possible to come from a 'Rent'/'Wicked' background and love Stephen and Patti! re: What Got u Hooked on Broadway

MuppetManiaMan Profile Photo
MuppetManiaMan
#8re: What Got u Hooked on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/08 at 12:55pm

Seeing Hairspray's performance on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and getting the cast recording for Christmas.
That truly started it all.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#9re: What Got u Hooked on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/08 at 12:58pm

Rent

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#10re: What Got u Hooked on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/08 at 12:59pm

Musical theater? Anything Goes and Crazy for You

Broadway? Rent, Legally Blonde, Spelling Bee, Chicago, Wicked. Done.

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#11re: What Got u Hooked on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/08 at 1:01pm

My mother convinced me to audition with her for a community theatre production of "The Sound of Music" in 1993. After putting up some resistance, I agreed to go through with it. I was cast, had a great time, and followed that up by being cast as Hero in a production of "Forum". At about the same time we saw a touring production of "Les Miserables" and I bought the concept recording of "Jekyll and Hyde" with Anthony Warlow. I think a combination of all of those things did it.

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#12re: What Got u Hooked on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/08 at 1:07pm

Les Miserables.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

abstract19
#13re: What Got u Hooked on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/08 at 1:11pm

My High School Theatre teacher showed us the Lansbury production of Sweeney Todd, and that did it for me.

broadwayjim42
#14re: What Got u Hooked on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/08 at 1:17pm

It's not a particular show with me, it's the whole experience.

The first Broadway show I ever saw was "Fifth of July" and I was hooked, but I don't think one particular show has galvanized the experience.

It's just being there.

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#15re: What Got u Hooked on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/08 at 1:21pm

Phantom of the Opera and Rent

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#16re: What Got u Hooked on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/08 at 1:24pm

...listening to the cast recording of City of Angels, then seeing The Will Rogers Follies shortly afterwards.

Nothing like some Cy Coleman music to spark someone to see more of what Broadway has to offer.

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

maya5892 Profile Photo
maya5892
#17re: What Got u Hooked on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/08 at 1:27pm

For a Bat Mitzvah present my Grandmother took me to see seven shows in five days (Fiddler, All Shook Up, Chitty, Wicked, Altar Boyz, Avenue Q, Spelling Bee) and although I didn't like all of the shows, that theatre experience got me hooked to Broadway. But, it is frustrating living in the Boston area and not being able to go to New York all that often to see shows. I so wish I could be able to.

Act4ever Profile Photo
Act4ever
#18re: What Got u Hooked on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/08 at 1:29pm

Cathy Rigby flying over my head... 1991. I was three.

jacobson Profile Photo
jacobson
#19re: What Got u Hooked on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/08 at 1:30pm

The magic show with Doug Henning and Barnum. I know I'm dating myself here. Also the original original company of Grease and of course the original Evita.

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#20re: What Got u Hooked on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/08 at 2:03pm

LEs Miserables and The Phantom of the Opera

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#21re: What Got u Hooked on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/08 at 2:14pm

Seeing my babysiter Ritchie Crippen in GODSPELL. I was hooked! (And I also realized I was gay that night too cause I just thought he was the hottest thing since sliced bread. LOL)

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

fnyboi88 Profile Photo
fnyboi88
#22re: What Got u Hooked on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/08 at 2:15pm

Cats and Guys and Dolls.

Broadway Shows I've Seen: Hairspray, Chicago, Little Shop of Horrors (2003), The Wedding Singer, Spamalot, Riverdance, Rent, Beauty and the Beast, Spring Awakening, Wicked, Legally Blonde, Phantom of the Opera, Sweet Charity (revival), Drowsy Chaperone, The Lion King, Dreamgirls(2010 Tour).

oohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
#23re: What Got u Hooked on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/08 at 2:18pm

Rent lol

"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson

FrontRowCenter2 Profile Photo
FrontRowCenter2
#24re: What Got u Hooked on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/08 at 2:22pm

As a kid, the original How to Succeed in Business with Robert Morse

heathurrr
#25re: What Got u Hooked on Broadway
Posted: 6/12/08 at 2:27pm

I got hooked on musical theatre when I did the set for my high school's production of Fame when I was in the 11th grade. From there my tatses got better of course. Oh, Fame. :)

"As we all should probably have learned by now, to be a Stephen Sondheim fan is to have one's heart broken at regular intervals" - Frank Rich

Dearest, how can this be so? You were dead, you know. - Candide

Oh my god, this show has everything! Half naked guys and girl on girl action! - [title of show]

(My avatar? Why, yes! That is Laura Benanti making out with a chick!)