pixeltracker

In the Heights translation?- Page 2

In the Heights translation?

SweeneySchism Profile Photo
SweeneySchism
#25re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 6:16pm

Thank you for all of the translations so far - they make listening to the In the Heights soundtrack so much more enjoyable :)

I know what you mean about your Spanish teacher. I have a lot of Spanish friends that have different heritages and they all pronounce things differently - yes I know, even though I don't speak Spanish I can tell when this happens :P

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#26re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 6:16pm

oh I forgot on Song 2. Breathe

Community : No me preocupo por ella

transl: I dont worry about her

(this is very complex: using direct & indirect object together- plus preocupar~meaning "to worry" (like gustar) is conjugated DIFFERENTLY than normal spanish verb) Conjugated in Third person only ... me gusta ( I like it) well.. this is hard to understand bec. literally it means.. that "thing" does please me...

It that case... she does not worry me!

J*

jenna2 Profile Photo
jenna2
#27re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 6/18/08 at 6:23pm

Thanks for the translations, jay! I managed to figure a lot of it out on my own (with what little Spanish I know), but it is great to have the parts I don't know spelled out for me. re: In the Heights translation?

Call the understudy / I can't go on tonight / I'm drinking with my buddy / I'm getting good and tight / Before they raise the curtain I'll be higher than a kite / So call the understudy I can't go on tonight

NoDayButToday2 Profile Photo
NoDayButToday2
#28re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 6/27/08 at 8:28pm

Thanks Jay for going into such detail with your translations! I have no Spanish training whatsoever (I studied Latin through high school and Italian in college) so I've been going by the context of the songs to figure things out, but it's neat to see the logic behind how the words fit together. I appreciate how much effort you're putting into this!

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#29re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 6/27/08 at 8:53pm

Wonderful job, Jay. You're spot on, except for one teeny thing:

Nina : Ay, Te Adoro, Te Quiero

Translation: Ay, I adore you, I want you....

While the literal translation for "te quiero" is indeed "I want you", the phrase actually means "I love you". There are different degrees of "love" in Spanish. "Te quiero" and "Te amo" both mean "I love you", though in sligtly different degrees.

So Nina is singing "Oh, I adore you, I love you", not "I adore you, I want you". If we wanted to say "I want you", we'd say "te deseo". :)

And as to whoever asked about "wepa", it's indeed spelled that way, and it's just an expression of joy. As far as I know, it's never spelled "huepa", and if it is, it's a mistake.

SporkGoddess
#30re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 6/27/08 at 9:08pm

Yeah, I took it as "I love you."

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

heathurr2 Profile Photo
heathurr2
#31re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 11/15/08 at 8:07pm

Can someone translate this (from Blackout) for me, please?

Mira, mi amor
Házme un favor
Despiérta la abuela
Y a lo mejor ella
tiene una vela
Estuve bailando
cuando vino el
apagón
Aqui hay gente pero
no se quienes son!

"As we all should probably have learned by now, to be a Stephen Sondheim fan is to have one's heart broken at regular intervals" - Frank Rich

"I think it's appropriate: iSondheim - a Sondheim for the new generation! (wailing guitar riff) Get your kids hooked early on Sondheim, so they'll grow up to be just as emotionally stilted and self-conscious as we are! - BustopherPhantom

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#32re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 11/15/08 at 9:46pm

Look, my love
Do me a favor
Wake up abuela
And maybe
she has a candle
I was dancing
When the blackout came
There are people here
but I dont know who they are

Thanks Josh :)
Updated On: 11/16/08 at 09:46 PM

Josh Freilich
#33re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 11/16/08 at 12:15pm

I think "cuando vino el apagon" means "when the blackout came".

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#34re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 11/17/08 at 9:22am

^^ Yep.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

NityaC
#35re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 11/17/08 at 9:58am

I've got a few questions: I haven't actually seen the show, but I've seen these in clips/read/heard from people who have seen it, and I was wondering if someone could help me understand better:

1. (this was already asked) what does Abuela say about getting a facelift?

2. Just before the 'No Me Diga' song, Carla is worried about gossiping because her pastor told her it was a sin; Daniela replies by saying: "Jesus, _________." What does she say?

3. What does Nina say to the taxi driver when Benny tells her closing[?] route 15 is illegal? [This, I'm not very sure of because I've only heard about it...]

I'm sure there are more, but I forget them now...
Thanks for helping us learn Spanish! :P

P.S. I'm new here...hello! =)

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#36re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 11/17/08 at 10:38am

I dont know the show verbatim but:

1. Abuela says "sacamelo de aqui y metemelo aqui" - which means "take it out of here and put it here" She says this when she's talking about the high prices for medication, and that she'd much rather get a facelift with the money she spends and literally, take that fat from her thighs and put it into her face

2. I believe Daniela says "Jesus, perdoname" meaning Jesus, forgive me

3. I think Nina just tells the driver what Benny didnt want her to say, which was "Coje la salida quince" or Take Exit 15

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#37re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 11/17/08 at 11:49am

1. Abuela says "sacamelo de aqui y metemelo aqui" - which means "take it out of here and put it here" She says this when she's talking about the high prices for medication, and that she'd much rather get a facelift with the money she spends and literally, take that fat from her thighs and put it into her face

That part is funny.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

NityaC
#38re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 11/17/08 at 12:12pm

Abuela says "sacamelo de aqui y metemelo aqui" - which means "take it out of here and put it here" She says this when she's talking about the high prices for medication, and that she'd much rather get a facelift with the money she spends and literally, take that fat from her thighs and put it into her face

Ooohhhhh! I didn't know about that scene fully! haha, that's hilarious! Abuela's awesome. =D

Thanks for the translations!

Also, I'm not sure of this one either, but what does Daniela say to Nina and Vanessa when they want to leave the Salon? I think it's just before the No Me Diga song...she says something like "What do you think we are, _____?"

I assume it was something funny, just because anything Daniela says is usually hilarious. :P

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#39re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 11/17/08 at 1:30pm

Im pretty sure she says "chopped chuletas",which just means chopped pork chops

Abuela is awesome, "Paciencia y Fe" is one of my favorite songs in the whole show, and although people may disagree, I think it's a showstopping number - which is funny coming right after 96,000

Daniela is great, and Andrea Burns was so sweet at stage door. Some of my other favorites of hers are "It's called a broom" and "Do I look like Jesus to you?"
Updated On: 11/17/08 at 01:30 PM

NityaC
#40re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 11/17/08 at 2:04pm

Thanks again!

Haha, chopped pork chops? That's kinda random :P But I'm hearing it out of context, so I'm sure it'll make sense when I go see the show. =D

I love Andrea Burns as Daniela - she just fits so perfectly. Like I said, all I know is only what I've seen off of clips, promo material and from others who have seen it - but my favourite line I think is "It's the fourth of July, show some ****ing spirit!"

=D And I agree about Paciencia y Fe! It starts and ends in a breathtaking way, so the whole piece is just spectacular to listen to. I'm sure it's awesome to watch too...I can't wait! (But I'm getting off topic now so I'll just stop :P)

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#41re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 11/17/08 at 2:13pm

but my favourite line I think is "It's the fourth of July, show some ****ing spirit!"

fyi that line hasn't existed for a *long* time- now it's just 'freaking.'

NityaC
#42re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 11/17/08 at 2:23pm

"fyi that line hasn't existed for a *long* time- now it's just 'freaking.' "

No way! =O

Well I guess its obvious I haven't been updated in a while - but this is terrible! I loved that line.

Wait - does this mean most/all the swearing has been softened? I always felt it was natural to keep it in...

*shrug* Guess they're trying to make it more family friendly...?

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#43re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 11/17/08 at 2:32pm

the f-bombs were all removed wayback in like April, around when "Pollito, Chicken" was removed.

(eta: I'm pretty sure one had nothing to do with the other, lol, I just meant that timeline-wise this happened a long time ago.)
Updated On: 11/17/08 at 02:32 PM

NGeorgiaBwayFan Profile Photo
NGeorgiaBwayFan
#44re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 11/17/08 at 2:52pm

to add to jaystarr's translation of Alabanza (jaystarr, you are a wealth of information!)

What they are singing is like a prayer cause everytime they sing "senor", it's referring to God. Also, there is really not a word in english that translates "dona" it's like "madame", but with immense respect.

lift up, lift up Dona Claudia to God

"Like the good Lord says . . . Ya gotta take the rough with the smooth, Baby!" Madame Rose

SporkGoddess
#45re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 11/17/08 at 5:32pm

I always thought dona implied "lady," as in a title of nobility.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

broadway122 Profile Photo
broadway122
#46re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 1/21/09 at 8:16am

Ok I have a question.
In "In the Heights" when usnavi is talking to Abuela about his fridge being broken he "I got cafe but no con leche" Does he really mean "I got coffee but no with milk" or does this "no" change to not? making it say "I got coffee but not with milk"

"i had no idea billy elliot was about one boy's triumph over epilepsy."-FindingNamo

LotteTBS138 Profile Photo
LotteTBS138
#47re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 1/21/09 at 10:56am

>>In "In the Heights" when usnavi is talking to Abuela about his fridge being broken he "I got cafe but no con leche" Does he really mean "I got coffee but no with milk" or does this "no" change to not? making it say "I got coffee but not with milk" <<

Or I got coffee but with no milk. Technically, it should have been "sin leche". But since people order cafe con leche, he left it as is. Remember folks, remove any thoughts of proper grammar here!

I think the Forbidden Broadway version is easier to understand

I once heard someone describe her (Ruthie Henshall) singing as sounding as though she's trying to swallow a whole meatball slightly larger than her windpipe. (The same person compared Michael Ball's singing to sounding as though he's sitting on a washing machine on spin cycle and Colm Wilkinson's to a man with a paralyzed lip trying to eat cottage cheese.) --- Schmerg_The_Impaler

theminutepast
#48re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 1/21/09 at 11:03am

This is kind of random since piraguas were discussed earlier in the thread, but piraguas actually look different than American snow cones. They are shaped into a point; part of their name, piragua, comes from the Spanish word for pyramid. In the beginning, Usnavi refers to the Piragua Guy as piraguero, which is the Spanish word for a piragua vendor. It's hard to hear. And I don't think como esta was lacking an s; Usnavi was probably using the more respectful usted tense since the Piragua Guy is older than him.

LotteTBS138 Profile Photo
LotteTBS138
#49re: In the Heights translation?
Posted: 1/21/09 at 12:01pm

and in Venezuela (where I'm originally from), they are "cepillados" (for brushed ice) with leche condensada (condensed milk) on top. I really loved Abuela's line to use condense milk instead! In Mexico, they are called raspados (scraped).

I once heard someone describe her (Ruthie Henshall) singing as sounding as though she's trying to swallow a whole meatball slightly larger than her windpipe. (The same person compared Michael Ball's singing to sounding as though he's sitting on a washing machine on spin cycle and Colm Wilkinson's to a man with a paralyzed lip trying to eat cottage cheese.) --- Schmerg_The_Impaler
Updated On: 1/21/09 at 12:01 PM