pixeltracker

Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?

Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#1Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?
Posted: 7/1/08 at 12:48pm

Anybody?

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#2re: Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?
Posted: 7/1/08 at 12:49pm

NEVER! How terrible!

EDIT: Thought this was a parody thread and was playing along. Didn't think people would take the question seriously.

Serious answer: Until SITPWG I had never stagedoored before in my life. Didn't really have a desire. Updated On: 7/1/08 at 12:49 PM

DefyGravity777
#2re: Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?
Posted: 7/1/08 at 12:51pm

I don't stage door all the time. I didn't the times I was sick since I don't wanna make the cast sick also. Out of the 30 plus shows I've seen I didn't SD at least half of them.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#3re: Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?
Posted: 7/1/08 at 12:52pm

I did not stage door Wicked this last time only 'cause we had to hot foot it to TDF to get our Mary Poppins Tickets. I like to do it cause it is fun... I know I am 35 but still....

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#4re: Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?
Posted: 7/1/08 at 12:53pm

I don't stage door every show I go to. Usually only if I know someone in the cast or there's a particular performer I want to meet.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#5re: Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?
Posted: 7/1/08 at 12:54pm

I used to do it after almost every show I saw and now? Not so much.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#6re: Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?
Posted: 7/1/08 at 12:56pm

Most of the time, I don't anymore. Mostly because I don't really like waiting outside in the hot sun forever with 2349234 other people. Ew. :-P

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#7re: Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?
Posted: 7/1/08 at 12:57pm

I never did it when I first saw shows.

First time on tour was Spamalot in 2005. First time On broadway was Beauty And The Beast 2002.

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#8re: Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?
Posted: 7/1/08 at 1:00pm

The thing is, I hate crowds, and sometimes, it's just not worth dealing with crowds just to have someone scribble on my playbill.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#9re: Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?
Posted: 7/1/08 at 1:54pm

It depends on the show and the people in it. And also to a degree to the crowds outside, though if I really want to thank someone or see someone I will wait.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#10re: Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?
Posted: 7/1/08 at 2:26pm

I've never done it, and don't plan to. I'm sure it's great fun, but after the show I'm always in a hurry to get out of the city. Born in NY, I lived there 16 years and at this point in my life, love getting away from the noise, hub-bub and excitement. What I do love is running into cast members from the shows on the streets.

lesmis Profile Photo
lesmis
#11re: Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?
Posted: 7/1/08 at 2:30pm

I rarely do it unless there is someone special I want to see. I'm kind of shy so it's just not me.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#12re: Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?
Posted: 7/1/08 at 2:49pm

I do it for almost every show I go to. A because I enjoy doing it and B because it gives me something to do between the show letting out and waiting to catch my train home at Penn Station.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#13re: Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?
Posted: 7/1/08 at 2:55pm

I did in the 70's and 80's. I moved to Denver and never stagedoored here except once. On my return to NYC after 15 years, I decided to stagedoor at "Wicked" in 2004. After about 5 minutes, I left. The only time I did it after that was here for The Little Mermaid.

Just give the world Love.

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#14re: Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?
Posted: 7/1/08 at 2:56pm

I never stage door. It creeps me out. I feel like the actors enjoy being appreciated, but more than that they just want to go home and sleep.

philcrosby
#15re: Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?
Posted: 7/1/08 at 3:11pm

Not unless I know someone personally from the show (which is not the same as knowing them FROM stage dooring).

Though I must admit, one of my most amazing backstage experiences came from stage dooring of a sort. Way back in the day, Glenda Jackson had hit it big, both in the TV series "Elizabeth R" and in films like "Women in Love."

She came to the US in a tour of HEDDA GABLER (directed by Trevor Nunn) which played the National in DC for a two-week run. A friend and I went up to see the first Wednesday matinee and it was not yet known that Ms. Jackson held to British tradition that fans were to be let into her dressing room.

So this friend coerced me (literally) to go backstage to meet Ms. Jackson after the show. We get to the stage door, someone opens it and says "Would you like to meet Ms. Jackson?" We nodded, mouths totally agape ... and we were the only ones there.

We are ushered in and there she was, sitting at her dressing table, taking off her wig (she had very little hair of her own, and very bad Britich teeth) asking us what we thought of the show, of Hedda.

It's one of the only autographs I really cherish.

And now she's given up acting to be a member of Parliament!

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#16re: Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?
Posted: 7/1/08 at 3:17pm

I've only done it for Spamalot so far.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#17re: Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?
Posted: 7/1/08 at 3:26pm

I read this thread like three times before I managed to read the subject properly. XD

I don't really like stage-dooring. I'm not as good with strangers as I could be, and I feel like an imposition if I approach someone after a show. I may want to tell them they're cramazing and thank them for their work, but I know from experience that all I'm generally able to say is "you rock! C'n you sign this plz?", which is just... urgh. I have stage-doored performers I especially love, but I've never looked back on the experience and gone "hey, that was cool".

My best stage-door experience actually was kindof an accident. I meant to hunt down a performer after a play to get him to sign a DVD cover for my sister, but I ran into him in the lobby a couple of hours before the show. Not expecting to see him then meant I didn't quite get round to feeling shy, and also having the DVD cover meant we had something to talk about, so I didn't feel awkward. Marvellous!

I love meeting authors at signing events though. I seem to get on much better with authors than actors. Especially Michelle Paver and Anthony Horowitz. To use customer-service language, they made me feel valued while I was busy spaffing at them. re: Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?

Updated On: 7/1/08 at 03:26 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#18re: Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?
Posted: 7/1/08 at 3:35pm

From ALL ABOUT EVE:

MARGO: Autograph fiends! They're not people - those little beasts who run in packs like coyotes-

KAREN: They're your fans, your audience-

MARGO: They're nobody's fans! They're juvenile delinquents, mental defectives, they're nobody's audience, they never see a play or a movie, even - they're never indoors long enough!

There is a pause. Lloyd applauds lightly.

KAREN: Well... there's one indoors now. I've brought her back to see you.

MARGO: You've what?

KAREN (in a whisper): She's just outside the door.

MARGO (to Birdie; also a whisper): The heave-ho.

Updated On: 7/1/08 at 03:35 PM

Jade Profile Photo
Jade
#19re: Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?
Posted: 7/1/08 at 4:04pm

I've only stage doored once, at the West End production of Rent 9 years ago. I was so nervous and shy I could barely speak and probably made a complete fool of myself, which is why I never did it again.

Besides, I like to reflect upon the show whilst making my way home instead of hanging around on a pavement waiting for someone who might or might not come out and might or might not give me an autograph.
Updated On: 7/1/08 at 04:04 PM

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#20re: Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?
Posted: 7/1/08 at 4:16pm

Here's my thing.

It takes one hell of a lot of guts to get up there on those Broadway stages 8 times a week to perform, in front of people spending up to $250 for a ticket. No matter my opinion on the show itself, I always feel the need to stay after the show and tell those performing in the show that I really appreciated their performance.

But that's just me.

oohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
#21re: Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?
Posted: 7/1/08 at 4:18pm

I just started last year. I don't in Boston, but I may this season because some actors I already love will be here, and I do in NYC if I can...a lot of shows I see are with school and I don't have the opportunity (but we do sometimes get talkbacks...almost as good)

"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson

Kev14 Profile Photo
Kev14
#22re: Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?
Posted: 7/1/08 at 4:40pm

I dont stage door at every show I see. Only if there is something really special about the show.

The last show I saw was Sweeney Todd with Judy Kaye and I am a big Judy Kaye fan. Unfortunately I wasnt able to stage door that one. Bummer

Upcoming Shows: Quilters, A Bronx Tale, August: Osage County, Wicked, Spring Awakening, Little House on the Prairie

AvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
#23re: Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?
Posted: 7/1/08 at 5:13pm

Only ever stage doored twice, at Avenue Q and Wicked London.

Everything in life...is only for now.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#24re: Going to see the show, and NOT Stage Dooring?
Posted: 7/1/08 at 8:45pm

Thank you, PJ - you got it.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)