Best act 1 finale

ashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
#50re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 7/30/08 at 11:33pm

I think A Little Priest is a pretty amazing Act I finally.

What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!

TheDeac
#51re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 7/30/08 at 11:53pm

Fireworks(as i saw it in the playbill) from ITH.

Sunday from SITPWG.

There's a fine, fine line from Avenue Q isn't bad either.

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#52re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 7/30/08 at 11:54pm

Actually someone did, Patash.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#53re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 7/31/08 at 2:06am

Not the best but a personal favorite is ONE from BARE

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#54re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 7/31/08 at 2:07am

not the best but a personal favorite is One from Bare

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

bordeaux
#55re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 7/31/08 at 10:28am

And I'm Telling You" is about as good as it gets, but best Act 1 dance finales is one that no one will ever guess because the show lasted only about 10 minutes on Bway and I'm probably the only one who saw it -- twice. It was Bob Fosse's last show, "Big Deal", and the fact 1 finale was "Beat Me Daddy 8 to the Bar." Awesome. Those kids should have gotten hazard pay.

bwaymizfit2
#56re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 7/31/08 at 10:36am

gah...I was sad when no one had yet mentioned the Act 1 Finale from Urinetown but, appropriately, little_sally beat me to it. That song is just awesome on so many levels--from the counterpoint, to the intentionally inane lyrics, to the slo-mo at the end...love love LOVE it.

I definitely agree with the other ones that have been said, though.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#57re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 7/31/08 at 12:05pm

First, the two obvious ones:
One Day More
Little Priest

The not as obvious (or not mentioned):
You're Nothing Without Me (City of Angels)
The end of Act 1 of How to Succeed is very well structured
Isn't "If Ever I Would Leave You" the end of Act 1 of Camelot? Talk about a great song...

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

LuvUrBatBoy Profile Photo
LuvUrBatBoy
#58re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 7/31/08 at 1:38pm

I have to add "Til We Reach that Day" from Ragtime. Seeing the OBC singing to the rafters as Audra was carried off in a coffin was an image I'll never forget.

Yes that's me. No, it's not a Rent homage.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#59re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 7/31/08 at 1:45pm

Everything's Coming Up Roses is plenty "climactic." It's the start of Louise becoming a star.

Not really. I mean, it's just Rose's inspiration to focus her obsession on Louise. The start of Louise becoming a star is her first strip well into Act II.

My second choice would have to be the Act I Finale from Urinetown.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

turquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
#60re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 7/31/08 at 6:12pm

Not sure how it worked on stage but the London concert of Chess is the only time I have seen a standing ovation at the end of Act 1 (for Josh Groban's performance of Anthem).

I have to agree with Defying Gravity though.

husk_charmer
#61re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 7/31/08 at 6:28pm

I love "I'm Flying" from Peter Pan.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#62re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 7/31/08 at 6:31pm

Whoever doesn't find EVERYTHING'S COMING UP ROSES climatic, is well kind of stupid.

Rose's baby, her star, her everything just walked out on her. And in a frenzy of desperation she decides to turn the unlikely untalented daughter into a star. Not to mention the curtain comes down on her final note. Brilliant and climatic.

Hest882 Profile Photo
Hest882
#63re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 7/31/08 at 10:55pm

Sunday in the Park with George - just transcendent
Les Miserables

sondheimfan2 Profile Photo
sondheimfan2
#64re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 7/31/08 at 11:13pm

Although I love Sondheim's Act One endings, especially Night Music's "A Weekend in the Country," I have to agree that "I Got Rhythm" form CRAZY FOR YOU deserves the standing ovation it often receives.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#65re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 7/31/08 at 11:33pm

Act 1 Finale - Woman in White (for the sole purpose that it kept you guessing the entire time the plot during intermission!)

Also:
Sunday in the Park with George
Les Miserables
The Riddle for The Scarlet Pimpernel
Alive Reprise for Jekyll & HYDE

And how has no one including Phantom of the Opera's falling chandelier? Do you all hate Phantom that much? Well atleast I like it for ending Act 1!

#66re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 8/1/08 at 1:27am

I'm adding my vote to "Blackout".

also, the cakewalk in Parade is CRAZY. absolutely chilling.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#67re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 8/1/08 at 5:53am

Isn't "If Ever I Would Leave You" the end of Act 1 of Camelot? Talk about a great song...

I'm pretty sure that 'Resolution' is the act 1 closer for 'Camelot'. (The last song of the act is 'Before I Gaze On You Again'.) 'If Ever I Would Leave You' comes near the top of act 2.

Updated On: 8/1/08 at 05:53 AM

usmma2010 Profile Photo
usmma2010
#68re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 8/1/08 at 8:40am

one day more - les mis
sunday - SINTPWG

"and in the end the love you make is equal to the love you take"

Out In The Sticks Profile Photo
Out In The Sticks
#69re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 8/1/08 at 9:42am

I know that they are not neccesarily classy but my faves:

Lambeth Walk - Me and My Girl
Jimmy - Thoroughly Modern Millie
Pinball Wizard - Tommy
The Raid - Best Little Whorehouse in Texas

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#70re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 8/1/08 at 9:49am

"Sunday" - Sunday in the Park With George
"And I Am Telling You..." - Dreamgirls

easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

I'm surprised someone said [tos]. It didnt have an intermission when I saw it in previews.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#71re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 8/1/08 at 9:54am

I'm surprised someone said [tos]. It didnt have an intermission when I saw it in previews.

As far as I'm aware, it still doesn't. I believe that is what is known as a "joke". re: Best act 1 finale

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#72re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 8/1/08 at 10:04am

"As far as I'm aware, it still doesn't. I believe that is what is known as a "joke"."

Really? Because it was simply listed with other shows that do have good first act closers...I guess I missed the joke.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#73re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 8/1/08 at 7:22pm

Standard Broadway World joke answer: A Chorus Line.

Otherwise:
Fiddler (from tears to fears to OMG, what's going to happen next?)
Dreamgirls
Les Miz
Secret Garden
Ragtime

Updated On: 8/1/08 at 07:22 PM

DefyGravity777
#74re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 8/1/08 at 8:01pm

I love Defying Gravity especially with a perfect face flash at the end. I just sit there mezmorized then realize that I better get a move on if I want to go to the bathroom before act 2 starts. I mean who in there right mind designs the biggest theatre on Broadway with only 12 stalls in orch seating and 6 in mezz seating? I don't know how the mens room is(Well I ain't a man) but there mustn't be many in there either since that line is usually long also.

I also love So Much Better from Legally Blonde.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!