pixeltracker

When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a performance?- Page 3

When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a performance?

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#50re: When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a perfo
Posted: 9/21/08 at 1:29pm

Ordinary - you made it perfectly clear that it was an African American audience responsible for that.

You must understand that it's a normal thing to do. It;'s just the general attitude and upbringing. I believe it all goes back to the Charismatic Christian roots. My father, may he rest in peace, was a minister for an African American church. While it IS rude I understand where that comes from.

hmpeterson Profile Photo
hmpeterson
#51re: When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a perfo
Posted: 9/21/08 at 1:29pm

My husband and I didn't have a screaming incident but this past Friday night at Legally Blonde these 2 girls (I want to say high school or college age) were sitting right behind us and talking during the WHOLE show. And not whispering but having a conversation with some volume and not even about the show!!!! Finally, my husband and I flashed them a dirty look like "please shut up." They didn't stop talking but at least they started to whisper. Why bother going to a show if you are just going to talk the whole time and not pay attention and ruin other people's enjoyment. How amazingly rude!!!!!!!!!!!!

OrdinaryJukebox
#52re: When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a perfo
Posted: 9/21/08 at 1:34pm

I can't remember if it was Puff Daddy who bitched about the audience talking to him during "A Raisin in the Sun," or if it was Terrance Howard from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" (both cry babies if you ask me). Does that make them racists as well??

-Vincent

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#53re: When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a perfo
Posted: 9/21/08 at 1:35pm

What happened to a nice "Bravo!"? When did this screaming bull**** start up?
Updated On: 9/21/08 at 01:35 PM

BillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
#54re: When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a perfo
Posted: 9/21/08 at 2:06pm

I saw "The Light in the Piazza" with a friend of mine, while it was in previews. When Kelli came out for her entrance, he started clapping and hollering. I quietly shhhh'd him and whispered "This isn't Wicked..."

Bill Finn rocks. Woot.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#55re: When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a perfo
Posted: 9/21/08 at 3:09pm

It is NEVER acceptable to hoot holler, and scream during a scene or musical number. In applause breaks, fine and certainly at the curtain call if you are so moved.

Before you do ANYTHING at a live theatre performance ask yourself "Is what I am about to do going to enhance other people's enjoyment of this show, or detract from it?"

Unwrapping candies/food and eating is distracting to those around you

Shouting out comments is distracting to those around you (EXEPCTION for shows like ROCKY HORROR where it is part of the show)

Text messaging, talking on your cell, playing video games is distracting to those around you.

Taking photos and shooting videos or making audio recordings is not only illegal; it is also distracting to those around you

Applause, and cheers at the end of numbers or the end of the show is NOT distracting to those around you.

If in doubt, show restraint.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#56re: When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a perfo
Posted: 9/21/08 at 3:47pm

I am guilty of screaming during a show, only during applause after a number though.

Speaking of screaming during Wicked...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPnNCFZc8ho

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#57re: When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a perfo
Posted: 9/21/08 at 5:11pm

taylorPHENOMENON2,

Wit all due respect Taylor. You scream at pretty much everything. It's getting you to shut up that's the trick.

That being said, I have cheered during the applause at the end of a song or at the curtain call. But, I have really never done it during the show. The only show that I can see it being okay for is Rent where they tried to create the whole rock concert like atmosphere anyways.

I will admit that I have been to a couple of performances of Mary Poppins where the entire audience is cheering loudly both during Burt's dance in Step In Time and during Mary's final flight.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#58re: When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a perfo
Posted: 9/21/08 at 6:08pm

Winston89, with all due respect, shut up, don't you have some A Tale of Two Cities defending to do?

broadwayfan3
#59re: When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a perfo
Posted: 9/21/08 at 8:34pm

When I went to see 13, there was this man sitting near me screaming his head off and 2 people in front of me too. I understood when the bad started playing and Graham Phillips first entered, but when people start screaming becasue somebody is holding a note for over 8 beats, it's a little rediculous...also this man near me started screaming when Evan calls Brett a jerk...he said something along the lines of "you go boy-tell him..WHOOO" it was hirlarious and annoying at the same time.

"Bitch I don't know your life"-Andre Ward, Xanadu

NYtheaterfan Profile Photo
NYtheaterfan
#60re: When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a perfo
Posted: 9/21/08 at 8:39pm

Screaming during shows bothers me as well. It's fine to scream and cheer all you want during curtain call, but it really ruins the mood when people scream during the show. It takes you out of the story and makes you remember that it's just a show. It's even more annoying when people in the audience scream the actor's name during the show.

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#61re: When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a perfo
Posted: 9/22/08 at 2:17am

Side note off-topic: People laughing at the candy wrapper announcements always drives me nuts. I've experienced people unwrapping candies, opening packs of tissues, opening those boxes of crunchy chocolates, etc. so I always audibly say "You'd be surprised!" when people around me laugh at that announcement.

Back on topic: It's just not necessary to scream or shriek and yell the actress who's playing Elphaba's name just because she does a few riffs during "Defying Gravity." I mean, she's in the moment, hanging above the stage, trying to focus on performing a song, do you REALLY think she's going to notice?

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2
Updated On: 9/22/08 at 02:17 AM

charmer88 Profile Photo
charmer88
#62re: When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a perfo
Posted: 11/9/08 at 11:05am

there is one show and one show only that this is acceptable in, and that is The Rocky Horror Show, namely cos it expected and encouraged lol.. other than that its just downright rude and uncalled for.. The people on stage are extensively trained actors/singers/dancers not f***ing Miley Cyrus..

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#63re: When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a perfo
Posted: 11/9/08 at 11:13am

I think it's ok to cheer and whistle during bows or after the ends of songs...I don't see what's wrong with an enthusiastic audience.

But screaming in the middle of the show is a little ridiculous. I wouldn't call it disrespectful though...it's flattering but somewhat inappropriate. Not disrespectful, IMO.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#64re: When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a perfo
Posted: 11/9/08 at 11:47am

(IMO, OrdinaryJukebox was just trying to illustrate that obnoxiousness is a universal language.)

sbflyfan, I often find those that laugh at the those announcements are the very ones that keep their phone on, or have an urgent desire to open their wrapper, or their ziplock bag with the individually wraps candies...

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

CMU_bway_lover
#65re: When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a perfo
Posted: 11/10/08 at 1:41am

So in reading this I have mixed feelings about 'screaming during a performance'. While I do admit at times, I get irritated by some people 'screaming' or 'whooing' I have to say as a whole I can't discount the practice since most of us who have taken the stage at some point in our lives will admit to the rush of adrenaline that comes with hearing the audience get involved--and I'm sure most of as have at one point done the same while in the audience. Also theater always has had an aspect of audience appreciation involved. Up and coming opera stars used to pay people to sit in the audience and shout 'bravo(a)' and clap since some of them were paid by how 'in-demand' they were.

That being said, there is a point where it crosses from being supportive to rude and disruptive. Movies however I feel are different since the actors can't feasibly have a chance of hearing you...

jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
#66re: When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a perfo
Posted: 11/10/08 at 2:00am

Ordinary- I thought your comments were fine.

Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis

Liza + Jesus = Patti
#67re: When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a perfo
Posted: 11/10/08 at 3:29am

Screaming and hollering, during a song or before, is not to show enthusiasm.

it's a sick way of getting attention.

these idiots... who do this... they'll use these opportunities to get attention. they're not praising the material or the performers. they're praising themselves.

just think about it. really, think about it.

I hate it SO MUCH.

one of the main things that pushed me away from the whole "Rent" thing.

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#68re: When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a perfo
Posted: 11/10/08 at 4:14am

"In response to the question; is this in reference to modern theatre? Shouting and yelling was plenty apparent way back in the day...Does the word GREECE mean anything to you?"

I don't think I've ever read this about theatre in ancient Greece. We know that Elizabethan audiences were rowdy, and Kabuki audiences as well, but I'm wondering what your source is for this. What I've read is that Greek audiences could be very loud at the ends of plays, but not that they necessarily interrupted a performance with shouts and screams.

Of course, perhaps there were screams when that woman miscarried at the first appearance of the Eumenides.

I'm not an expert on this, so perhaps I'm wrong.

#69re: When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a perfo
Posted: 11/10/08 at 4:20am

There's some truth to that--I grew up in a very white city (Victoria, BC Canada) and when I first moved to Montreal one of the first movies I saw was O, the teen adaptation of Othello. I had NEVER experienced the audience talking back to the screen as much as they did, before. To be honest I enjoyed it--but I would a lot less if it was a musical I'd paid 80 bucks to go see...

Nobodyhome--at the Ancient Greek festivals peopel would bring tons of food, plan to go there all day, come and leave during a play, and talk. They may have been more behaved than the "groundlings" for Shakespeare--but not all that much I don't think.

It's funny people talk about this as a new thing--the New Yorker recently had a great article about how classical music and opera are now viewed--with strict rules--a classical concert starts at a fixed time, you remain quiet and seated, clap at the right moments, etc. This was unheard of through to the 1800s, some famous composers even commented on how they'd be insulted if peple listened to their music silently, etc I'm not saying I'd wanna go to a classical concert with constant chatter--and certainly different things suit different plays better.

in other words the screaming in Rent never bothered me as much *within reason* cuz it is kinda like a rock show--I only saw it live in London in 1999 but it was obvious who the Rentheads were, the faves, etc. But ti was so loud, and par tof the experience for me (and they were fairly well behaved compared to some stories here). I'd be pissed off if people did that during Sunday in the Park--or an even more obvious example Passion (where giggles from a restless audience were apparantly pretty common--Sondheim has said maybe it was a bad idea to try to eliminate applause breaks because that helps release some audience tension).

And I think cheering (not screaming, but "woos" etc) are completely appropriate for curtain calls. But that's about the only place I'd do them.

Mattt Profile Photo
Mattt
#70re: When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a perfo
Posted: 11/10/08 at 7:14am

I was nervous at the final performance of Rent that people would be screaming too much, but I have to say the cheers took place only at appropriate times and it did not take anything away from the show. If anything, it added to the final performance magic.

Didn't Jennifer Holiday get a lot of screams during "And I am Telling You" during her run in Dreamgirls?

Scott Briefer
#71re: When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a perfo
Posted: 11/10/08 at 8:21am

I disagree with the comment about whistling. I think loud whistling after a song is annoying. It's shrill and jarring.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#72re: When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a perfo
Posted: 11/10/08 at 8:27am

This isn't a screaming issue, but when I saw Chita Rivera: A Dancer's Life in Boston, there was a drunk couple in the front row waving their arms around and dancing in their seats during "All That Jazz." I don't remember, but they might have let out a scream or two.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Ed_Mottershead
#73re: When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a perfo
Posted: 11/10/08 at 8:34am

I was at Rock of Ages Saturday night. I had anticipated it being more like a rock fest, with all the screening and woowoos and all that stuff. What bothered me was that large portions of the audience (mostly female) took it upon themselves to sing along. I mean, it wasn't a matter of one person singing along that you can usually hush with a dirty look -- these were rows of girls who'd come in groups and were singing -- loudly. Come on, I paid to hear the performers, not some off-pitch airheads ruining it for everybody else. And they all dressed like they were going to one of Michael Alig's freak shows.

BroadwayEd

??
#74re: When did it become acceptable for the audience to scream during a perfo
Posted: 11/10/08 at 9:44am

If you really want to hear some screaming, stop by Grease, especially now with Ace Young. However, it's been going on since the show opened.

I'm not going to lie though, the entrance of the T-Birds is so amazingly cool, the audience can't help but scream.