pixeltracker

Broadway Tickets as Christmas Presents?

Broadway Tickets as Christmas Presents?

jagfkb
#1Broadway Tickets as Christmas Presents?
Posted: 10/18/08 at 8:25am

I know I always buy them as presents for my parent's and friend's birthdays, anniversarrys, any holiday really. Does anyone else? If so, what? Here's what I've bought them in the past/ future:

2007:
Dad's Birthday:
Mary Poppins in May

Christmas:
(There's alot)
Dad:
Legally Blonde, January

Mom:
Drowsy Chaperone Closing Night, December
Drowsy Chaperone Signed LP

Both Dad & Mom:
August: Osage County, January

Friend:
Little Mermaid, January

2008:
Dad's Birthday:
Sunday in the Park with George, June

Mom's Birthday:
In the Heights, May

Parent's Anniversarry:
3 days, 2 nights at Affinia 50 in New York (We were upgraded to a suite)
Avenue Q, August
Wicked, August
Young Frankenstein, August

Friend's Birthday:
Spring Awakening Onstage Seats, October (They're the night before her birthday, and she has no clue we're siting onstage!)

Christmas:

Both Parents:
Mamma Mia, January

Friend & Brother:
Spamalot or Hairspray Closing Night Tickets, January

2009:
(What I'm planning to buy)
Dad's Birthday:
West Side Story, May

Mom's Brithday:
Guys and Dolls, June

So, what have you given to someone?

kooky
#2re: Broadway Tickets as Christmas Presents?
Posted: 10/18/08 at 8:50am

Your a generous boy ..........

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#2re: Broadway Tickets as Christmas Presents?
Posted: 10/18/08 at 9:01am

I love giving show tickets! And the recipient usually gets dinner and drinks to.

It can be a hassle though because you have to make sure they don't have plans on the night you've picked to take them to a show.

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#3re: Broadway Tickets as Christmas Presents?
Posted: 10/18/08 at 9:27am

My parents live in Cincinnati so I have given them tickets to tours of "Phantom of the Opera" and "The Drowsy Chaperone" as presents.

Unfortunately, they wouldn't go if they had to buy the tickets themselves (not that they couldn't afford it). re: Broadway Tickets as Christmas Presents? Updated On: 10/18/08 at 09:27 AM

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#4re: Broadway Tickets as Christmas Presents?
Posted: 10/18/08 at 9:27am

I'm can't really afford to give tickets for presents because I am 13 but I have gotten many and recommended shows. I've gotten, Rent a few times, In The Heights, Jersey Boys, Apple Tree, and a bunch of other shows.

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#5re: Broadway Tickets as Christmas Presents?
Posted: 10/18/08 at 9:50am

One of the best presents I ever got was when I was in seventh grade. My friend invited me to a sleepover, and her mother told me to wear nice clothes, though I didn't know why. Well, it was one of the nights of Chanukah, so I was just sitting there feeling grumpy while everyone was opening presents except for me, and I was thinking it was rude to invite me when there weren't any presents for me.

Then, my friend opened a present, and it turned out to be three tickets to the touring production of "Evita." Then I was really irritated, because she was getting to go see "Evita", but her mom just said, "They're for tonight. Let's go!" And my friend, her mom, and I ran out to the car. It was a great show and a really unexpected surprise!

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy
Updated On: 10/18/08 at 09:50 AM

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#6re: Broadway Tickets as Christmas Presents?
Posted: 10/18/08 at 9:52am

Drunk,

You are extremely well-spoken for 13 !!! Thought you were much older !!!

I hope my daughter shares your passion for theatre at 13, and is as intelligent as well !

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#7re: Broadway Tickets as Christmas Presents?
Posted: 10/18/08 at 10:45am

I've only given tickets twice. (This actually is really sad now that I think about it.) Both of my one-year anniversary gifts (two different guys, obviously) were tickets. One was Wicked on tour (only because it was in town and I had some inside help to get amazing seats) and the other was August: Osage County this summer.

As a gift, I've received Spring Awakening (orch and onstage separate times), Sweeney Todd (LuPone), The Little Dog Laughed, August: Osage County, All My Sons, Mauritius, and Legally Blonde.
Updated On: 10/18/08 at 10:45 AM

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#8re: Broadway Tickets as Christmas Presents?
Posted: 10/18/08 at 12:28pm

The tradition for my birthday the last few years is I tell my mom which show I want to see (usually around april, cuz thats when my birthday is unless theres something in the season im dying to see thats earlier or later) and she gets tickets and we go. I went to the Wicked Tour before it sat down here in chicago, Rent non equity tour, Phantom of the Opera tour and this year im gonna have her take me to Rent with Rapp and Pascal which is here two weeks before my birthday. And then as a birthday treat for myself im going to the SA tour.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

BroadwayBelle2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBelle2
#9re: Broadway Tickets as Christmas Presents?
Posted: 10/18/08 at 4:33pm

I always get tickets for my birthday - it's the best present!

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#10re: Broadway Tickets as Christmas Presents?
Posted: 10/18/08 at 4:43pm

I believe I'm getting season tickets for our tours this Christmas.

soon2bstar Profile Photo
soon2bstar
#11re: Broadway Tickets as Christmas Presents?
Posted: 10/18/08 at 6:35pm

Well I'm 16 and although I have not given tickets I have received twice for my birthday once for Christmas (joint gift)

In 7th grade my mom planned for me and like 5 friends to go see Hairspray which we all loved (mezz seating)
And in 8th grade my mom surprised me with seeing Wicked on my birthday with her my dad and my Aunt (who spoiled the surprise) even though we missed the beginning because there was major traffic it was amazing becaseu we sat center row H, I think.

And for Christmas my friend surprised me with coming to NY and her, her aunt, and my mom surprised me with tickets to Legally Blonde

jagfkb
#12re: Broadway Tickets as Christmas Presents?
Posted: 10/18/08 at 6:46pm

Last year, when I was 14, I spent over $120 on the LB tickets, $50 for the August ones, $100 for the Drowsy, and $150 for the LM, making about $420 spent on presents...

And the anniversarry? Over $1000!

I've never walked dogs so much in my life! Plus, since i'm the only boy who likes musical theatre in my school (and i apparently look jewish) they call me the "poor kid" (I live in a rich town) and throw change at me. By the end of the year, I made over $1200.

Yes, I do love my life...

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#13re: Broadway Tickets as Christmas Presents?
Posted: 10/18/08 at 6:54pm

I got my mother tickets for Wicked a couple birthdays ago.

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#14re: Broadway Tickets as Christmas Presents?
Posted: 10/18/08 at 7:04pm

jagfkb -- you are awesome! I wish I was in your family!

I always ask for tickets for Xmas and never get them (seriously, for the past 10+ years). You have one lucky family!

Though I will say that in return for letting me and a friend crash at his place in two weeks for our trip to NYC, my friend is being gifted tickets to Equus and Billy with us...and a very big floral arrangement.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#15re: Broadway Tickets as Christmas Presents?
Posted: 10/18/08 at 7:12pm

I've never given any, but I have gotten them a couple of times. My parents took me to Mamma Mia for my 23rd birthday last year, and unexpectedly last Christmas, 2 of my sisters gave a joint present to me and my other sister to see Chicago. I think they are planning something similar this year.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#16re: Broadway Tickets as Christmas Presents?
Posted: 10/18/08 at 7:18pm

I think TKTS gift certificates make great gifts.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#17re: Broadway Tickets as Christmas Presents?
Posted: 10/18/08 at 7:35pm

I took my parents to the closing night of The Producers last year for their anniversary. My mom and I took my father to Martin Short: Fame Becomes Me and Young Frankenstein the past two years for his birthday.

Kitzka
#18re: Broadway Tickets as Christmas Presents?
Posted: 10/18/08 at 7:47pm

I have kind of been gifted some. A freind is a single father and he can't stand musicals. Well, his 2 daugters 10 & 13 LOVE them. SO every year at Christmas he buys 4 tickets (1 for each of his daughter's and 1 for me and my daughter) and i take them.

I have to pay for parking and anything over the $50 he gives them for souvies but it's pretty sweet and nice if you ask me! We usually go see stuff where he can get a discount on the tickets.

I also always take DD to see a show on her birthday and will take her this year to see Billy Elliott for christmas day. I lucked out and got row k orchestra seats. we are on the right rchestra but are only a few seats in from the isle.

we don't normally do anything christmas night so this will be awesome!

Lara

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#19re: Broadway Tickets as Christmas Presents?
Posted: 10/18/08 at 8:45pm

For eight years I was a Chairman of an organization at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts. I got comp seats to all of the Denver Center Theaer productions and to most of the touring shows. For the most part I got 2 tickets but a lot of times I would get more. I always took my group of friends. I would rotate through them when I had 2 tickets and if I had more, I would take them all and also offer them to people I knew who couldn't afford to go. I have also given up tickets for others. I gave up 2 tickets for Mama Mia so I could take disadvantaged kids to see A Christmas Carol one Christmas.

I think the best ticket gift I got was ehen I was dating a guy who paid for all 5 of my shows for my New York trip in 2004. It was a Valentines gift. He was going to be in NYC starting the day before I was to leave so he booked us a room at the Ritz down in Battery Park. I had purchased al of my tickets before Valentines' Day and at Dinner on that day, he wrote me a check for the entire amount I spent on the tickets. He even offered to pay for my friend's ticket to see "BARE". He was a very generous man.

Just give the world Love.

Nicole3293 Profile Photo
Nicole3293
#20re: Broadway Tickets as Christmas Presents?
Posted: 10/18/08 at 11:14pm

I haven't really given any. I have gotten for my birthday this year alot actually. My Mom bought me and my two best friends tickets to Legally Blonde. My Grandma bought me and her tickets to Chicago. My Best Friend bought me and her tickets to Spring Awakening. Finally my Brother bought me and him tickets to Mamma Mia.

Tickets are the best gift!

Shows Seen This Year: 13, A Chorus Line, Avenue Q, Chicago, Curtains,Gypsy,In The Heights,Legally Blonde,Mamma Mia,Spamalot,Spring Awakening, and The Little Mermaid

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#21re: Broadway Tickets as Christmas Presents?
Posted: 10/18/08 at 11:19pm

A 13 year old has the name 'DRUNK Chita Rivera'???

On topic:
Giving the gift of theatre is a very special gift. I've done it many, many times and love having the ability to do so.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

Videos