pixeltracker

Tale Of Two Cities is a must see

Tale Of Two Cities is a must see

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#1Tale Of Two Cities is a must see
Posted: 10/18/08 at 11:18pm

I had no desire to see the show. I went and I sat with my mouth dropped the entire show. The performances were top notch . James Barbour was absolutely incredible. Loved the costumes, the sets, the lights and the beautiful orchestrations. I am really sad to see it not doing so well. I think what this show needs it a good word of mouth. Also word of note: BRING TISSUES for Act 2.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#2re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see
Posted: 10/18/08 at 11:34pm

I'm so glad you liked this show! People do need to see this.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

madscientist
#2re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see
Posted: 10/18/08 at 11:42pm

I agree! It's so amazing, I don't know why it's getting negative reviews. I don't really take reviews that seriously. I plan on seeing it again, and I hope they release a cast recording soon. I'll definitely tell everyone to see it!

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#3re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see
Posted: 10/18/08 at 11:45pm

I'm thrilled to hear its good. I hope I get to make it to NYC in the spring, because I bet I'll love it.
Broadway Mouth: Little House on the Prairie

maddiem
#4re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see
Posted: 10/19/08 at 12:00am

Your right Amneris I was sobbing at the end..:) It was wonderful I have seen it twice already..

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#5re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see
Posted: 10/19/08 at 1:37am

I just saw the show for the first time tonight and I was completely shocked by what I saw on stage. I did not expect to like the show at all and I ended up loving it. Everything about the production is just so overwhelming that you cannot help but feel emotional at the end. The cast is amazingly talented, the sets are beautiful, the lighting is breathtaking... I really just cannot get over how much I enjoyed the production.

Ashley4Tale
#6re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see
Posted: 10/19/08 at 2:20am

Amneris, I don't know if you saw my personal take on this show when it was in Sarasota (a while back on this site). Before it even premiered on Broadway, I spoke of the many things about "A Tale of Two Cities" which made it a stunner of a show, and the great performances by its lead actor and supporting cast (well, the cast for Broadway is even MORE amazing!).
Many on this board bashed the show, without even seeing it first.
Then the first reviews came out, mostly on the negative side (always with the exception of Mr. Barbour's memorable and incredible, Tony worthy performance).
It seems human nature tends to like bashings, and some people even did not want to patron this show, from the negatives.
Well, the truth always shines at the end, and now audiences are experiencing what I was talking about all along.
Because we had that "voting" issue down here in Florida does not mean we cannot also judge good theater when we see it. You know, after all, the higher percentage of that Sarasota audience were people who had been patrons of those great, early Broadway days and very theater savvy.
There you have it re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#7re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see
Posted: 10/19/08 at 8:26am

Beware all those who have the audacity to say they enjoyed it will forever more be called a shill by many on the board.

Glad you liked it & we see it next weekend.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 10/19/08 at 08:26 AM

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#8re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see
Posted: 10/19/08 at 8:31am

More "TOTC" love !!!

Glad you liked it !! We feel the same. Goin back Tues nite.

Critics were way too harsh with this one (JMHO)

SillySara Profile Photo
SillySara
#9re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see
Posted: 10/19/08 at 10:17am

I really loved the show too! I hope that word of mouth can really help the show out and get their numbers up. I have nothing but great things to say about this show. The casting is just phenomonal. It is rare to see so much talent on one stage.

It is a shame that others won't see the show just based on some lousy reviews or what some people are saying on here.

"Tale of Two Cities" is a major production. And I love to sit in a Broadway theatre and be "wowed."

Testing1232
#10re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see
Posted: 10/19/08 at 10:55am

I really think (if they make it that far) that this show could get a big boost from the tourists during the holiday season.

And I think they could have done a much better job with the commercial spot. Barbour really needs to be showcased !!

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#11re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see
Posted: 10/19/08 at 11:19am

I greatly enjoyed the show when I saw it and am ecstatic you loved it as well. It seems to be a huge crowd pleaser and I agree that it will get a huge boost from the holiday audience.

I must ask though (SPOILERS), in the final scene, before Barbour is bathed in darkness and stars, does the curtain come down with a chopping sound or has that been removed?

Testing1232
#12re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see
Posted: 10/19/08 at 11:49am

<< I must ask though (SPOILERS), in the final scene, before Barbour is bathed in darkness and stars, does the curtain come down with a chopping sound or has that been removed? >>

********** SPOILER ALERT ******

If you are referring to the seamstress' death... yep, its still there.

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#13re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see
Posted: 10/19/08 at 1:49pm

I thought the show was ok.
The book was weak, most of the lyrics were just bad (and the rest could not be heard due to the horrible acoustics).
The music was decent, definitely a rip off of the 80's invasion time period that most want to get away from, but enjoyable.
The lighting was incredible but the sets were some of the worst I've ever seen (If you are going to do a minimalist style set, don't make 50 of the same piece that constantly have to be moved).
The majority of the cast, especially Mr. Barbour, was incredible.
The direction was extremely weak.

*Continuation of the SPOILER from above*
That curtain bit was the worst part of the entire show and ruined the mood of an otherwise powerful moment. It is the perfect example of a director that does not have a clue what they are doing.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

LotteTBS138 Profile Photo
LotteTBS138
#14re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see
Posted: 10/19/08 at 2:18pm

Oh dear yes!! That curtain dropping like a guillotine is just sooo lame!! I actually started laughing!!

And now that I read on the other thread that Barbour is into Scientology, I am really going to bash the show even more! re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see

I once heard someone describe her (Ruthie Henshall) singing as sounding as though she's trying to swallow a whole meatball slightly larger than her windpipe. (The same person compared Michael Ball's singing to sounding as though he's sitting on a washing machine on spin cycle and Colm Wilkinson's to a man with a paralyzed lip trying to eat cottage cheese.) --- Schmerg_The_Impaler

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#15re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see
Posted: 10/19/08 at 3:33pm

How is her death a *spoiler*? Her character is literally introduced on line for execution.

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

maddiem
#16re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see
Posted: 10/19/08 at 3:44pm

I listen to the concept CD all the time and think the lyrics are just beautiful!

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#17re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see
Posted: 10/19/08 at 3:45pm

jacobtsf, I'm a bit suprised you wouldn't like the show based off of your avatar! Not only is the show in the same time period as The Scarlet Pimpernel, but manages to follow two men and one woman (minor detail AHHA) in a "love triangle" (if that's what you want to call Pimpy's), but regardless, it was so Pimpernel-esqu with the exception of the directing and sets; The costumes could have more than likely been used in a production of it, and the way that Jill writes is similar to Frank Wildhorn's: a bit classical sounding with a pop-ish underbeat (Such as Without a Word and When I Look At You both sound). Not here to change your opinion, only open you up to similarities (I always found mroe between this and Pimpy than Les Mis! except "Until Tomorrow" obviously). Regardless, I loved the show!

And the curtain guillotine thing didn't bother me. I can't remember it exactly, but when if it was dead silence it would make an impact, or so atleast it would to me!

On the note of a big boost around the holiday's, one can hope, but with two well-loved/known name shows closing in January people may go see them (MONTY PYTHON's Spamalot and HAIRSPRAY obviosuly). Also, just from asking around friends who aren't that into theatre, many don't want to see it because as you get with any response with a well-read/known classic book, people automatically will find it boring, which is a shame!

SillySara Profile Photo
SillySara
#18re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see
Posted: 10/19/08 at 7:48pm

I've actually found, when discussing this show with family and friends that don't live in New York and aren't aware of the show being on Broadway, that their initial reaction to Tale of Two Cities is: "I really liked the book." But the probably is the tourists aka my family and friends mentioned earlier, don't even know the show exists. And it is a bit off the beaten path as far as Broadway theaters go.

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#19re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see
Posted: 10/19/08 at 8:08pm

Philly- I have no problem with the plot, I love the book. It was just executed extremely poorly in my opinion.

I said I enjoyed the music, but that the lyrics were not great (the same is true of Pimpernel 1.0, the later versions slightly improved).

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

Ed_Mottershead
#20re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see
Posted: 10/19/08 at 10:23pm

After the reviews, I'd more or less written this off as a no-see. However, Barbour's reviews have been so good, I think I may reconsider. Plus, I saw him on the street while he was talking to some friends. I almost felt like I should see his show based on his rapport with his companions -- even if his is the only worthy reason to see it, I think I should go. Just an opinion.

BroadwayEd

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#21re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see
Posted: 10/19/08 at 10:34pm

it's not just him. (He is a HUGE reason to see it) but, it's just a really touching show. I absolutely loved Mr Edelman? in his role and the ladies were so strong. I know the 2 female leads had gorgeous voices. I think there are many reasons to see the show for yourself. I really do hope James Barbour wins a tony. It's well deserved.

Scott Briefer
#22re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see
Posted: 10/19/08 at 10:46pm

okay, I'm convinced... what's the best code and I'll get tickets.

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#23re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see
Posted: 10/19/08 at 11:26pm

I saw the show during previews and I went in thinking I was going to dislike it. But, I actually really enjoyed it. The show did have it's problems (I, too, hated the ending with the curtain) but I loved the show regardless. And that Natalie Toro...dear Lord, she was incredible!

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

Dollypop
#24re: Tale Of Two Cities is a must see
Posted: 10/19/08 at 11:33pm

Is it going to tour?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Videos