#1Is Jersey Boys really that good?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 6:15am

well is it thoughts?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Is Jersey Boys really that good?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 6:19am

Do a search you might?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Nicholas Clar
#2re: Is Jersey Boys really that good?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 6:27am

It depends... My mom, her friend, my grandparents all LOVED it. I saw it and I thought it was good but nothing great. It really depends on your age. So if you grew up with the Four Seasons... you'll prolly like it more than someone going it there with no idea.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#3re: Is Jersey Boys really that good?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 6:35am

yes

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#4re: Is Jersey Boys really that good?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 9:45am

So if you grew up with the Four Seasons... you'll prolly like it more than someone going it there with no idea.

I didn't grow up with the Four Seasons but still loved it.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

kazacalo Profile Photo
kazacalo
#5re: Is Jersey Boys really that good?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 9:57am

I grew up with the Four Seasons. I liked it, but didn't love it the way others do. I feel it's way overrated.
Updated On: 12/15/08 at 09:57 AM

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#6re: Is Jersey Boys really that good?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 10:03am

I did'nt grow up with them. Howevere, I thought it was bad. Except for the guy who played Frankie, the show was'nt that good at the Ahmanson.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Yankeefan007
#7re: Is Jersey Boys really that good?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 10:13am

Yes.

It really IS that good.

Probably the best musical currently on Broadway.

kooky
#8re: Is Jersey Boys really that good?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 10:18am

In a word YES !

Fosse76
#9re: Is Jersey Boys really that good?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 11:35am

"Probably the best musical currently on Broadway."

Not even close. It, along with Spring Awakening and In the Heights, is entirely overrated.
Updated On: 12/15/08 at 11:35 AM

LizzieCurry
#10re: Is Jersey Boys really that good?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 11:49am

Don't go for a deep story. Just go for an energetic good time.

LadyDramaturg2
#11re: Is Jersey Boys really that good?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 12:06pm

I found the pleasure to be in the top-drawer vocal performances and tight musicianship.

The "story," though thin, held my interest; but every time I walk past the theater now and see the promo art, I say to myself "oh yeah, there were girls in that show -- was there dancing?" I don't remember.

I'm glad I saw it. I'd pay real money to see something else before I went back to it. [Oh, yeah: I'm old enough to have lived through the Four Seasons' original hits time period.]

blueroses
#12re: Is Jersey Boys really that good?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 12:07pm

I thought it was terrific.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#13re: Is Jersey Boys really that good?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 12:51pm

I went in not expecting anything and wound up having such a great time, even in my partial view seat. I think it's a very entertaining show with a surprisingly good book which makes it feel much less like a musical than a play with music. The original four guys were terrific as well. Those were four very strong performances.

~Steven

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#14re: Is Jersey Boys really that good?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 12:53pm

No...... I didnt care for it much at all! Im not a big fan of The four Seasons....

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#15re: Is Jersey Boys really that good?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 1:13pm

I really loved it. I saw it back when it first opened and thought it had a great cast, a wonderful book, and very tight direction. The show is just like a steam train that never quite stops.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#16re: Is Jersey Boys really that good?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 1:27pm

The fact that you don't get a chance to applaud until the band comes together with "Sherry" is a thrill in itself. And that's almost halfway through the first act. Otherwise, very sleek, quick direction that makes the crowd cheer.

~Steven

LizzieCurry
#17re: Is Jersey Boys really that good?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 1:33pm

The fact that you don't get a chance to applaud until the band comes together with "Sherry" is a thrill in itself.

So wait, you didn't applaud for Silhouettes, I'm in the Mood for Love, or Cry for Me? re: Is Jersey Boys really that good?

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#18re: Is Jersey Boys really that good?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 1:45pm

It's my guilty pleasure. I feel bad to love it but cannot help myself.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#19re: Is Jersey Boys really that good?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 1:52pm

According to what standards? As a jukebox musical, it is certainly the best ever in my mind. It has fleshed out, fully realized characters, an involving storyline, and the music actually serves a purpose as opposed to just a chance to have a flashy ensemble number.

I saw it once (with the original cast) and I enjoyed it quite a lot. It's not perfect by any means and I certainly don't think it's the best musical on Broadway right now but it's strong. I haven't seen it since it first opened so I can't comment on the current cast but the material itself is pretty strong.

flossie2
#20re: Is Jersey Boys really that good?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 1:55pm

I did not care for it. The story was not all that interesting. I was not particularly a fan of their music so maybe that was the problem. I know many of my friends loved it but it was not for me.

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#21re: Is Jersey Boys really that good?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 2:32pm

I loved it.

I thought it was a dumb idea when I first heard about it and frankly I'm not all that fond of jukebox musicals anyway. But I was in Vegas with a friend of mine who bought tickets. And I was very pleasantly surprised. It had a pretty compelling book and the performances really sucked me into the story. And I loved the fact that the songs actually served to move the plot. I had a great time that night.

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

ifuweregay93
#22re: Is Jersey Boys really that good?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 5:13pm

I didn't grow up with them, never heard a song of theirs, didn't even know 3 of the Four Seasons, Had no glasses or binnoculars so it was a big wideshot blur, and I left the theatre loving the show so much I bought tickets for 3 weeks later that night.

It was that good!

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#23re: Is Jersey Boys really that good?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 5:37pm

You don't have to be a fan of The Four Seasons, or even know who they are to enjoy the show. Saw it 4 times in NYC and John Lloyd Young and Christian Hoff were brilliant in their roles, and deserved all the awards bestowed to them - Tonys included.

The applause from "Sherry" when the song starts, to the applause during the horn section of "You're Just Too Good To Be True," is thrilling - each and every time.

Go see it - you'll love it. But, I'm wondering just by the scope/tone of your question "is it really that good," that you've all ready decided that you're not going to like it. YIKES! That's not good. There are those people who do walk into a Broadway show bound and determined to not like it. Could never figure that out???
Updated On: 12/15/08 at 05:37 PM

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#24re: Is Jersey Boys really that good?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 5:48pm

I love the music, I loved the clips I had seen on line and went with the highest expectations to be blown away...
I was bored out of my mind and so did my friend who came along with me !
I think it's the most overated show EVER, but this is just my opinion. The big majority of people LOVE it !!