pixeltracker

Help me plan my February trip to Broadway?

Help me plan my February trip to Broadway?

Felm_heart Profile Photo
Felm_heart
#1Help me plan my February trip to Broadway?
Posted: 1/4/09 at 2:04am

Well... I planned an epic trip to Broadway a few months ago. I was so excited that I'd be able to see Gypsy, and that was back when it was still supposed to close March 1st. Now with all of these shows closing... I honestly don't know what I'm supposed to go see when February comes around. Anyone care to give me some recommendations?

I'm arriving early morning on Thursday, February 12th... I leave at like 6 PM on Sunday, February 15th. I've already seen Wicked, Spamalot, Spring Awakening, Lion King, and Phantom. It'd be nice to see maybe two musicals and one play. I'm also interested in a backstage tour of Wicked on that Saturday morning. Has anyone done that, and is it interesting?

As I said, I'm at a complete loss about where I should go, so anything is helpful. Thank you so much!

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#2re: Help me plan my February trip to Broadway?
Posted: 1/4/09 at 2:19am

In the Heights (especially before Lin leaves)
Billy Elliot
August: Osage County

singalongsong2 Profile Photo
singalongsong2
#2re: Help me plan my February trip to Broadway?
Posted: 1/4/09 at 2:59am

Definitely see In The Heights

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#3re: Help me plan my February trip to Broadway?
Posted: 1/4/09 at 5:34am

If this helps at all, look at my signature. I am kind of in a similar boat in that I was planning on seeing Gypsy. In fact, not realizing the ever-changing dates of shows, I even planned to rush a few times and go to the final performance. I also already had a ticket to the now pushed-forward Hair. I would recommend In The Heights and (just based on word-of-mouth and the fact that you have enough time to get a good ticket) South Pacific. This will be around the time Szot returns, so you'd get to see a Tony-winning performance. But yeah, check my signature for show ideas. I also plan on trying to catch 33 Variations, Distracted, and possibly Forbidden Broadway, since I've never seen it and it is closing, amongst others.

Updated On: 1/4/09 at 05:34 AM

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#4re: Help me plan my February trip to Broadway?
Posted: 1/4/09 at 8:10am

In The Heights, you may even catch Lin's last.
August Osage County

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#5re: Help me plan my February trip to Broadway?
Posted: 1/4/09 at 8:14am

Avenue Q

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#6re: Help me plan my February trip to Broadway?
Posted: 1/4/09 at 8:38am

For your play you really should not miss August: Osage County.

I also highly recommend In The Heights and Billy Elliot (if you can score tickets).

Guys and Dolls will also be in previews by then; or take a chance on The Story of My Life.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

feline0favenueQ Profile Photo
feline0favenueQ
#7re: Help me plan my February trip to Broadway?
Posted: 1/4/09 at 10:48am

In The Heights

Also, RENT is in Newark that week, if you are interested. Updated On: 1/4/09 at 10:48 AM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#8re: Help me plan my February trip to Broadway?
Posted: 1/4/09 at 11:28am

I don't think there is a "backstage" tour of Wicked. Acoording to their site, The Emerald Curtain tour does not take you backstage for insurance purposes. They "bring backstage out front to you".

Just give the world Love.

broadwayboy1
#9re: Help me plan my February trip to Broadway?
Posted: 1/4/09 at 11:35am

For the play, see August: Osage County (I have not seen it but I am going by reviews from others). For two musicals, definitely see In the Heights and Billy Elliot.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#10re: Help me plan my February trip to Broadway?
Posted: 1/4/09 at 12:06pm

I have not seen the current cast but I saw the original and August: Osage, in my opinion, is a must see. Granted it is going on tour, but the current Broadway cast looks good. Even though I saw it on Broadway, I plan to see it again on tour.

Felm_heart Profile Photo
Felm_heart
#11re: Help me plan my February trip to Broadway?
Posted: 1/4/09 at 12:20pm

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the responses. I'm pretty sure that I'll get to August: Osage County and In The Heights. And then I think it'll be either Billy Elliot or Forbidden Broadway... hmm.

PiraguaGuy2
#12re: Help me plan my February trip to Broadway?
Posted: 1/4/09 at 12:24pm

In the Heights
Billy Elliot
South Pacific
Shrek
August: Osage County NEEDS to be your play.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#13re: Help me plan my February trip to Broadway?
Posted: 1/4/09 at 12:24pm

If you can get tickets to BE...don't even consider FB! They are incomparable.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#14re: Help me plan my February trip to Broadway?
Posted: 1/4/09 at 12:25pm

If you haven't seen Altar Boyz, consider it also. A really fun and funny show. I also really had fun at Fuerzabruta.

oohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
#15re: Help me plan my February trip to Broadway?
Posted: 1/4/09 at 2:31pm

Make sure you see In The Heights

"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson

dg22894
#16re: Help me plan my February trip to Broadway?
Posted: 1/4/09 at 2:41pm

I did the backstage of wicked and really liked it. It is worth going to. U might also want to check out Planet Broadway. I would see In The Heights, August, and Billy but if u cannot get tickets to billy I would recommend Shrek.

rjjn Profile Photo
rjjn
#17re: Help me plan my February trip to Broadway?
Posted: 1/4/09 at 5:13pm

In the Heights is amazing, definitely should be one of your two musicals. Avenue Q is also good if you can't get tickets for some of the big-time ones.

"Rather than ignore those who choose to publish their opinions without actually talking to me, I am happy to dispel any rumors or misconceptions and am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest and feel most fortunate to be working with wonderful people in the business I love." -Neil Patrick Harris
Updated On: 1/4/09 at 05:13 PM

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#18re: Help me plan my February trip to Broadway?
Posted: 1/4/09 at 5:17pm

Definitely Billy Elliot and Osage County!!!

pushdabutton Profile Photo
pushdabutton
#19re: Help me plan my February trip to Broadway?
Posted: 1/4/09 at 7:04pm

I highly recommend In The Heights and August: Osage County.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#20re: Help me plan my February trip to Broadway?
Posted: 1/4/09 at 7:55pm

If you miss BILLY ELLIOT and AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY then you will miss the best musical and best play that Broadway has seen in YEARS. And that's not saying it for the sake of saying it. They are truly go-out-of-your-way-to-see shows.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#21re: Help me plan my February trip to Broadway?
Posted: 1/4/09 at 8:04pm

Behind the Emerald Curtain I think it's called. You have an opportunity to see the original scale model sets plus many of the original costumes up close ( but behind ropes) there are 2 films one dealing w the creation and running of the show Plus a shorter one showing a load in to a theatre both are interesting. There is a a Q&A session w the "guides" usually chorus members who tell some interesting behind the scenes stories. Then out to the kiosk to buy souvenier merch. The Performers also stick around for photos and questions. So- u decide if its worth $25.00 for about 1hr 10 mins

Videos