pixeltracker

She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!- Page 3

She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#50re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 12:37am

Well it didn't fall on Patti's head so she didn't care.
Merman was unliked but not for stopping the show and yelling at the audience who paid $25 top price to see her.

I'm just mad because Patti used to be sooo good.

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#51re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 12:44am

LMFAO Parks, I'll be using that as my signature from now on if you don't mind re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

hsrdmd
#52re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 12:46am

I guess I will remember it as watching Gypsy with a "bonus out-take."

hsrdmd
#53re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 12:49am

Also, a question since this was my first time to see it... Is the zipper supposed to get stuck in the Detroit portion of the Gypsy's transformation?

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#54re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 1:00am

I was very close to yelling "Shut up, Patti LuPone!".

I want to love her, but I am very angry at her right now.

Sebastianswain
#55re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 1:44am

Granted it's not the same situation in a way--but Merman was not afraid to stop a show. Have you not heard the story Elaine Stritch tells about how Ethel once walked all the way into an audience to throw a drunk audience member who was yelling at her all the way out onto the street? Again, it's not the same--Ethel's case was much more justified--but still.

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#56re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 1:47am

jrb_actor, I totally thought of the Lupone episode of Will and Grace when I read that. :)

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

CarolynaGirl Profile Photo
CarolynaGirl
#57re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 1:51am

Now that I found a computer, I'll write more.
As has been confirmed, it DID happen. It looked like Patti lost her balance because she was focusing on something in the audience, and I thought she was going to just proceed after a little trip up, but she turned towards the orchestra and yelled, "Stop!" Then she proceeded to reprimand the audience members in question and said that that was the 3rd time she had caught them and she had had enough. She then said she would not continue with the show until they were removed then she walked off stage left. A few seconds later, I guess she could see that the audience members whom she wanted to leave weren't doing so willingly or something and she came back out and proceeded to tell them what she thought. One of the ushers then told Patti that they were out and Patti put her smock back on to start over and decided to thank the rest of the audience members for having good theatre etiquette in a time when such etiquette is often not displayed. Patti began Rose's Turn over and the crowd went wild - cheering and applauding throughout the number like I have never heard them before.

(audio exists)

Also, a question since this was my first time to see it... Is the zipper supposed to get stuck in the Detroit portion of the Gypsy's transformation?
No, she is supposed to do a strip, but she couldn't get the zipper down. One of my friends said she saw Laura have problems with her zipper before.

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#58re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 1:59am

Didn't Ms. LuPone once state that she does not like to participate in the post-show BC/EFA fundraising events because she feels that they violate the "4th wall" rule?

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

TimeSquare3 Profile Photo
TimeSquare3
#59re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 2:11am

^No. It's because people had already paid $125 to see the show & asking for more just seemed off too her.

<<-- Help save Terminator: SCC
"The gay one?" -- Marissa Jaret Winokur on the Jonas Brothers.

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#60re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 2:15am

When I saw it, Patti was signaling to the ushers who were on walkie-talkies. No joke...

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

TimeSquare3 Profile Photo
TimeSquare3
#61re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 2:19am

I NEED to get the audio!! Someone PLEASE!!!

<<-- Help save Terminator: SCC
"The gay one?" -- Marissa Jaret Winokur on the Jonas Brothers.

SporkGoddess
#62re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 2:20am

Oh, jeez.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#63re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 2:29am

I know that I am naive, but I've always wanted to believe that Patti is truly warm and kind.

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#64re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 2:31am

"I know that I am naive, but I've always wanted to believe that Patti is truly warm and kind."

I remember such fairytales growing up.

heo1128
#65re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 2:32am

"patti needs to learn to deal with that stuff. People pay good money not to see her get out of character and yell at rude audience members even though falshing objects is distracting and dangerous."

Hahah I'd pay to see Patti completely flip her sh*t!! Whomever said she's batsh*t crazy is totally correct. And it's fabulous lol.

wonkit
#66re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 2:38am

I'm astounded. People are angry at Lupone but I don't see anyone pointing out that the audience members who were recording were actually the ones at fault! This is like blaming the victim of an drunk driving accident for getting in the driver's way.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#67re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 2:42am

It is the ushers' job to deal with audience behavior. Not Ms. LuPone's.

deadparrot
#68re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 2:46am

People are angry at Lupone but I don't see anyone pointing out that the audience members who were recording were actually the ones at fault!

Actually? Several people have pointed that out. Believe it or not, it's completely possible that no one was in the right here.

Updated On: 1/11/09 at 02:46 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#69re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 2:48am

Patti LuPone should be put to death.

(Kidding).

But, by the sounds of it she made a mistake thanks to the flashes and probably didn't want to take the 'fall' for it, so to speak. I can see why she did it. It is slightly annoying she thinks it's justified though..

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#70re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 2:49am

Before he enters the thread. Let's all prepare for "A Director" to gloat and gloat about how he told us all what a terrible person Patti LuPone is. Updated On: 1/11/09 at 02:49 AM

Winston3
#71re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 2:51am

wonkit, I honestly don't think that people are feeling the way you think they are. It isn't that we are trying to justify the people taking pictures etc. We are trying to say that it isn't Patti's job to take care of such things. Yes, they are wrong to do in the theatre and yes they are annoying to deal with. But, a good professional would learn to not let things like that bother them or get in their way of putting on a good show.

I agree that both parties were wrong. It was wrong of Patti to break the fourth wall in such an uncalled for way. And, it was wrong for the audience members in question to do what they were doing.

Goodbye Sister Disco

bk
#72re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 4:47am

Sorry - it was the THIRD instance of a flash going off and no one had done squat about it. I don't blame her in the least, she had every right to stop and do what she did. It's funny, but when Brian Dennehy used to do the same thing regarding cell phones going off during Death Of A Salesman, he was applauded for taking a stance. I saw Robert Morse stop Tru because someone in the first row did a flash photo. He went off on the guy, and the audience cheered him for doing it because these people are yokels and deserve what they get. He made his point, got applause, and got right back into character and the show went on and we all enjoyed it despite the five-minute break. But it's always fun to read teenager's opinions on such things.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#73re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 5:06am

Oh I hope someone was videoing....can't wait to hear the audio

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#74re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 5:46am

I want to hear it too

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999