Broadway Skit on SNL

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#125re: Broadway Skit on SNL
Posted: 1/11/09 at 9:17pm

[I]The chandelier was pretty accurate if I do say so myself

No kidding! Whoever designed this sketch did their homework...everything looked pretty accurate to me. It looks like they chose their pieces to actually resemble the show--from the chandelier, which looked like the one used in the production, to Mark's costume, to Elphaba's, to Kate Monster...even down to using a white bowtie (NOT BLACK) on the Phantom's tuxedo. There are clearly a few Broadway fans at SNL. Nicely done! [/I]

The set designer for SNL is Eugene Lee, the Tony Winning set designer of (amongst others) The original Sweeney Todd, and Wicked.

As for the shows selected I think they were going for a mix of recognizable commodities and accomidating the lack of female cast members (with amy poehler gone there is a total of four women in the cast, and three are featured)

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel
Updated On: 1/11/09 at 09:17 PM

danceallnight Profile Photo
danceallnight
#126re: Broadway Skit on SNL
Posted: 1/11/09 at 9:21pm

Thanks, Jilani, for posting the link.

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#127re: Broadway Skit on SNL
Posted: 1/11/09 at 10:20pm

I think Namo made a good comment as well.

Now that I think of it, if they'd gone with other shows I would've loved to see Andy Samberg as Moritz from Spring Awakening!!!

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#128re: Broadway Skit on SNL
Posted: 1/11/09 at 10:22pm

I thought the sketch was just fantastic. From the mocking of current prices to Wiig and Wilson Chicago-ing it up up - brilliance. And the Wicked/Shrek thing made me grin wide. What I'm curious about is who played Annie. All the other girls already had other parts (Kate Monster, Elphaba, Chicago Girls) so I'm just wondering who that was.

viola13
#129re: Broadway Skit on SNL
Posted: 1/11/09 at 10:28pm

Taylor Swift was Annie. In my opinion, she was better as Annie than as herself...

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#130re: Broadway Skit on SNL
Posted: 1/11/09 at 11:17pm

ya know, viola, I thought the same exact thing.

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

sorano9162
#131re: Broadway Skit on SNL
Posted: 1/11/09 at 11:31pm

I was there for the live taping and most got the Jeremy Piven dig. Those around me loved the skit and I thought it was fantastic. And Taylor did a very good job as Annie, but she was very nervous for her performances and was freakin' out after the camera went out. Heck, NPH was a little nervous, too.

Elizabeth Moss was at the taping last night, too. Just a mention. Heh...

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#132re: Broadway Skit on SNL
Posted: 1/12/09 at 11:05am

Overall, I thought this was the worst SNL in a long time. None of it was funny. All of the material was terrible. I was so embarrassed for Neil Patrick Harris. The only sketch that was even remotely funny was the air traffic controllers with super long finger nails.

The Broadway sketch was the worst of all. I kept waiting to laugh but it just wasn't funny.

How did Taylor Swift get a record deal?
Updated On: 1/12/09 at 11:05 AM

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#133re: Broadway Skit on SNL
Posted: 1/12/09 at 11:16am

Regarding Taylor Swift..."she has some great songwriting skills, the next dolly perhaps?"

HELL NO!!!!!

FindingNamo
#134re: Broadway Skit on SNL
Posted: 1/12/09 at 11:50am

re: Broadway Skit on SNL

"Overall, I thought this was the worst SNL in a long time."

Actually, there have been many worse SNLs in a long time. I've seen ones that were much worse, I saw the one hosted by Jeffrey Dahmer, so....

"None of it was funny."

Actually, most of it was funny, I saw the whole thing, maybe you missed it, but a lot of it was funny and most of the jokes landed and everybody I know laughed, so....

"All of the material was terrible...."

I'm surprised you are actually allowed to judge material because most of it was strong and all my best friends agree with me and we've been judging material for a long time, we invented material, so...

"I was so embarrassed for Neil Patrick Harris..."

I'm best friends with Neil Patrick Harris and Neil Patrick Harris is doing fine and said to tell you not to bother having any emotions for him, he's perfectly capable on his own, so....

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#135re: Broadway Skit on SNL
Posted: 1/12/09 at 1:06pm

I guess Namo will be out on the town with Liza and Tomato doing it Sex in the City style!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

FindingNamo
#136re: Broadway Skit on SNL
Posted: 1/12/09 at 1:14pm

You mean SheX and the Shhhh itty Shtyle, don't you?

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#137re: Broadway Skit on SNL
Posted: 1/12/09 at 1:22pm

::Twitch,Twitch::

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

AStack75 Profile Photo
AStack75
#138re: Broadway Skit on SNL
Posted: 1/12/09 at 11:36pm

"Overall, I thought this was the worst SNL in a long time. None of it was funny. All of the material was terrible. I was so embarrassed for Neil Patrick Harris. The only sketch that was even remotely funny was the air traffic controllers with super long finger nails. "

I thought the show other than "Save Broadway" was crap. I thought the Broadway skit was the funniest one in a while other than Anne Hathaway's Mary Poppins.

bwaybabe2
#139re: Broadway Skit on SNL
Posted: 1/13/09 at 4:48am

What about the Kathy Lee and Hoda (not sure of spelling) skit from the today show? I thought that WAS hysterical! She really captured Kathy Lee! (hate to say it, but KLG can come off as very annoying).
The Broadway was really funny, too.

AStack75 Profile Photo
AStack75
#140re: Broadway Skit on SNL
Posted: 1/13/09 at 8:48am

I didn't care for the Kathy Lee skit. The did the same basic joke/impression over and over. Although when NPH started dancing/working out, it was pretty funny...IMHO.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#141re: Broadway Skit on SNL
Posted: 1/13/09 at 10:58am

The Frost/Other People sketch was hysterical. That and the Broadway sketch made the episode.

Also, the Doogie Howser orchestra.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

AStack75 Profile Photo
AStack75
#142re: Broadway Skit on SNL
Posted: 1/13/09 at 11:06pm

Oh I totally forgot about the Doogie Howser orchestra. That was great.

FindingNamo
#143re: Broadway Skit on SNL
Posted: 1/13/09 at 11:25pm

Most people who complain about the show not being funny is because they forget how much they laugh while watching it.