pixeltracker

Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?- Page 2

Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?

LifeofTheParty2 Profile Photo
LifeofTheParty2
#25re: Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 4:32am

As stated before, it's actually illegal in New York for your phone to be on in the theater. And it does mess with sound equipment, headsets and possibly some of the hearing devices (which is lovely, because then the person will undoubtedly blame the house staff). And on a personal note, the only thing I could do about my house manager or stage manager coming on headset telling me to go and deal with someone who has their phone out....was go and deal with it. Maybe I should've lectured them about how it's no big deal? It varies from house to house, just because audience members feel entitled, most ushers and house managers let that kind of thing slide to avoid how unpleasant people get about it. But for those that do try their best to, I don't know, do their jobs, it is rough going.

I really do love the qualifying statement that comes before people complaining about this sort of thing. "I know you're doing your job but...."

But what? You need to text your friends so badly that my job can just wait? Your voicemail is so direly important that the rules don't apply to you? If you don't play solitaire on your phone RIGHT NOW puppies will die? Give me a break. In the two cases I ever dealt with that were a legit need to leave a device on (doctors with pagers), they spoke with me before the show, and were fine with whatever had to happen (I moved them to an aisle seat. See? I'm not that mean). But it's usually just someone feeling like they are more important than everyone else around them.

Look at it like traffic laws, the people who have to enforce them vary in degrees of strictness, but you can't really get mad at the cop that pulls you over for going 5 over the speed limit. It's annoying, and seems over-zealous, but at the end of the day you broke the rule, so you face the consequences.

Of course, there's no excuse to be rude about it (or any of the other ridiculousness that FOH has to handle), but there's also no need to decide that the rules don't apply to you.

*edited because I should never try to spell at that late of an hour* Updated On: 1/16/09 at 04:32 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#26re: Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 4:35am

How many people would know it's 'illegal' to use a phone in a theatre?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

LifeofTheParty2 Profile Photo
LifeofTheParty2
#27re: Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 4:39am

It isn't expected for them to automatically know, I just think that it's nice to point out that asking them to put away a cell phone isn't some weird, arbitrary paranoia that they won't turn it off.

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#28re: Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 4:54am

In the two big ancient Theaters in Greece that plays are performed in the summer, they have installed for years this wonderful system that BLOCKS all cell phones, as soon as you enter ! Problem solved ! I really can't understand why theaters all over the world don't do that ! I understand that there is something in New York Law that prevents it, because there may be a case of urgent emergency for a doctor, am I right ? Well, if a doctor or anyone else expects a big emergency, like someone dying, DON'T GO to the bloody theater that day, is it that hard ??? The emergency excuse for not implementing this fantastic cell-blocking system is ridiculous ! When, for example, you board a plane, you KNOW that whatever happens, you simply can't be reached when on board ! Why can't theater be the same ???
As another poster said, how did people manage before cell phones ???

Updated On: 1/16/09 at 04:54 AM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#29re: Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 7:56am

OK you do realize that tine ushers and FOH managers are not the ones who set the rules for Phones, Cameras etc?
The production company who are producing the shows are the ones who brief the Front Of House staff and managers on their policies, the ushers are just doing their jobs.
They will shine torches when they see a flash, thats what they are paid to do.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

MelissaF
#30re: Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 8:19am

I was at the December 21st performance, and I found the ushers to be downright rude. I saw a male usher yell, and I sincerely mean yell, and a teenaged girl who had picked up a playbill. Everytime I asked an usher where my seat was, I was told to go to someone else. It took 4 ushers to get to my seat. I found them to be the most hostile bunch out of the some 50 or 60 shows Ive seen. I can understand the no pictures, no phones requests. but yelling at a kid over a playbill?

2012: American Idiot 01/14, In The Heights 02/11, Warhorse 02/18, The Book of Mormon 02/23, The Gershwins Porgy and Bess 02/24, Anything Goes 02/25, Godspell 02/26, Shrek 03/31, Ghost (West End)04/11, Singing In The Rain (West End) 04/12, Matilda (West End) 04/13, Leap of Faith 05/02, Evita 05/03, Jesus Christ Superstar 05/04, Newsies 05/05, The Book Of Mormon 05/06, West Side Story 06/02, Beauty and the Beast 07/07, Million Dollar Quartet 07/28, La Cage 10/13, 10/27 Sister Act, 31/10 Once, 11/01 Rock of Ages, 11/02 Spiderman, 11/03 Newsies, 11/15 Jekyll & Hyde

andrewcomp Profile Photo
andrewcomp
#31re: Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 8:25am

I put mine on silent when I leave the house. I don't even receive voicemail notifications or receive text messages period when my phone is off.

Cearsgk Profile Photo
Cearsgk
#32re: Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 8:40am

The first time we were at Gypsy, a cell phone behind us vibrated. Everyone could most certainly hear it rattle. It was almost as bad as if it rang. Since then we turn ours all the way off.

"It ain't no myst'ry If it's politics or hist'ry The thing you gotta know is Ev'rything is show biz" - Mel Brooks

LotteTBS138 Profile Photo
LotteTBS138
#33re: Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 8:47am

>>In the two big ancient Theaters in Greece that plays are performed in the summer, they have installed for years this wonderful system that BLOCKS all cell phones, as soon as you enter ! Problem solved !<<

The theatres actually tried to pass a law or initiative that would legally allow a signal to shoot out to not allow incoming network signals but that got shot down from the assholes that DO attend the shows and feel they are more important.

As far as rudeness, yes. This is not JUST for using cell phones or cameras but even trying to find a freaking seat which is their job! I remember attending the Wicked 5th concert and I don't know if they were understaffed or what but a huge line formed in the mezz. Well, I knew I was row A in the front and saw some classmates there, so I decided to cut through and the woman insisted that I HAD to wait for the usher in the middle. I asked for a playbill and she honestly did not want to give it to me until I told her she was making more of an effort in not giving me a program and blocking the line behind me then letting me go, and she did. I also understand the whole, "sitting in the wrong seat" especially when the seats are on the armrests and people don't check. Fine. I get up and move a seat over!

But the deal with cellphones I just can't stand and I think the city would make a fortune if they started ticketing people with cell phones on, just like in CA (where I'm originally from) start ticketing people driving holding their cells phones or now texting, which they really don't enforce.
But, this must be an usher thing cross country because I remember seeing a show at the Pantages in LA, and I was actually turning off my cellphone and this kid starts yelling at me. His excuse is because I have a pda = camera phone.

PLUS, on a side note, if you are expecting a really important call, email, text... then why the hell are you in the theatre? Stay home! This is something that sucks with seating in the mezz is seeing the lights below.

I once heard someone describe her (Ruthie Henshall) singing as sounding as though she's trying to swallow a whole meatball slightly larger than her windpipe. (The same person compared Michael Ball's singing to sounding as though he's sitting on a washing machine on spin cycle and Colm Wilkinson's to a man with a paralyzed lip trying to eat cottage cheese.) --- Schmerg_The_Impaler
Updated On: 1/16/09 at 08:47 AM

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#34re: Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 8:51am

"When I saw 'Prayer for My Enemy,' however, I had a horrible time (not to mention the play sucked). The guy behind me said he couldn't see if I slouched forward with my hands on my knees, which is mostly how I sit to watch a show. I mean, is it rude of me not to comply? I mean, sure I paid student prices, but I still paid to see the show. Why should I have to sit a certain way just so he can see a little better? (I did comply). And, the seating is stadium style, so I'm not sure how me leaning forward meant he couldn't see, but whatever."

It's good that you complied. I'm surprised you don't realize that it's precisely in stadium seating that leaning forward often causes a problem for the person behind you. This happens all the time in many large-theatre mezzanines and balconies, with City Center perhaps being the worst of them in New York. People can't see what's happening downstage so they lean forward, thus blocking the downstage area for the person behind them, who then leans forward, starting a chain reaction.

I think the man's request was entirely in line (it doesn't sound like he yelled at you). You shouldn't lean forward when you're in stadium-style seating unless no one is behind you.

LotteTBS138 Profile Photo
LotteTBS138
#35re: Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 8:56am

yeah, that had happened to me on a few occassions. It has to do with the angles of the aisles with the height and leaning forward DOES obstruct the view. But good job in leaning back though and being compliant.

I once heard someone describe her (Ruthie Henshall) singing as sounding as though she's trying to swallow a whole meatball slightly larger than her windpipe. (The same person compared Michael Ball's singing to sounding as though he's sitting on a washing machine on spin cycle and Colm Wilkinson's to a man with a paralyzed lip trying to eat cottage cheese.) --- Schmerg_The_Impaler

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#36re: Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 9:25am

So, for those of you that keep you phones on VIBRATE just for emergencies. Are you planning to rudely climb over the other audience members to go view your phone message?

If yes, you are distracting me during the show by climbing over me.

If no, you are distracting me by opening your damn phone to check your message. Seeing someones phone screen light up in a dark theater or next to me is INCREDIBLY distracting.

And there a signs in the lobby (of many theaters...probably all of them) that specifically tell you that you need to turn off all equipment.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#37re: Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 9:37am

I was at a performance of "Cry Baby" where the audio was off as the beginning of the show and they had to delay it temporarily because people apparently left their cell phones on.

Ridiculous. The longest the cell phone would be turned off is an hour and a half, and if you can't feel comfortable enough with yourself to turn off the phone for that long, you don't belong in the theatre.

Rotel1026
#38re: Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 9:47am

So you leave your cell phone on in case of emergencies but how do you know what's an emergency? How do you know your mother is not just calling you because she wants to chat or because there was a horrible accident? You can't answer the phone inside the theater and unless you're on the aisle, you're going to be disturbing all the people you force to get up and the people behind them who's view will be blocked.

There was a time when there were no cell phones and people got along with them just fine.

And someone said how do we know it wasn't their first time at a Broadway show as an excuse that someone forgot to turn off their cell. Manners and courtesy aren't something that is only expected in a theater. I'm sure they've been asked to turn off their cell phones in classes, meetings, movies, etc. So no, if it's your first time at a show, that is not an excuse to forget to turn your cell off.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#39re: Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 9:56am

I wish more ushers, and doormen, were more over the top. I love it when some egocentric poster gets their nose bent out of shape and runs here to post about.

Me too!

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#40re: Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 10:15am

The guy behind me said he couldn't see if I slouched forward with my hands on my knees, which is mostly how I sit to watch a show. I mean, is it rude of me not to comply? I mean, sure I paid student prices, but I still paid to see the show. Why should I have to sit a certain way just so he can see a little better? (I did comply). And, the seating is stadium style, so I'm not sure how me leaning forward meant he couldn't see, but whatever.

As others have said, leaning forward in stadium style seating is WORSE than normal seating. The view of the stage is based on seeing over the person's head. If you're leaning forward, your head is blocking what was designed to be his view. Have you never been in stadium seating before? Apparently you've never been stuck behind a leaner if this is your "normal" way of sitting, because then you would know how rude and inconsiderate it is.

And by the way, just because you paid to see the show doesn't mean you can sit any which way you choose to. Paying for the ticket doesn't mean you own the seat and can treat it like your living room- there are 1000 other people that paid for their seats too. Your freedom ends where theirs starts.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#41re: Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 10:19am

I have to agree with orangeskittles.

At Liza's show, some people moved into the seats in front of me (in the balcony), and the guy directly in front of me sat that way much of the time. And I missed much of the show.

I didn't actually say anything, mostly because the way the seats are configured, it would have been very difficult to talk to him without shouting.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#42re: Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 10:33am

Um, all you need to do is look around the city and know that people are rude and obnoxious.

You're absolutely right! Here are some prime examples:

Why should I have to sit a certain way just so he can see a little better?

and...

So what if someone's cell phone goes off? Maybe they really did turn it to silent and accidently hit it? Who knows? Who cares? Usually it's 5 seconds of ringing, and then it's over. Did you really miss that much? I mean, it's freakin' Shrek: the musical.

Yeah, that kind of attitude is pretty rude and obnoxious.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#43re: Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 10:34am

So, for those of you that keep you phones on VIBRATE just for emergencies. Are you planning to rudely climb over the other audience members to go view your phone message?

Or worse yet, if it's bad news scream at the top of your lungs and go into hysterics?

I HAVE been in the theatre when a family member (my grandfather) was in the hospital and on the verge of death. I live here in NYC and could not get down there until it happened because I was teaching. My family who was there understood that I had already purchased tickets that would be used unless I was en route to NC ~ and that I would check my messages at intermission and turn the phone on directly after the show. No biggie.

Seriously ~ for those who live in fear of something happening, unless the person is in the hospital in NYC (or wherever you're seeing the show), what the hell are you going to do AT THAT MOMENT? There is a delay while schedules for transportation and that kind of thing are worked out. And I highly doubt a flight would be sold out during the time you're in the theatre.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#44re: Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 10:43am

In addition to the slumping in stadium seating, it's also bad when two lovebirds decide one needs to lean on the other's shoulder during a show, merging the couple's heads into a massive superhead in front of you that's very difficult to see around. Hold hands, young lovers, and wait until you get home to do the cuddling. Or at least to the subway.

Winston3
#45re: Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 11:01am

There are different levels of breaking the law. People on here are giving me the impression that they feel that having a cell phone in the theatre that is turned on is comparable to murdering someone. Yes, jaywalking is technically against NYC law too, but I don't think everyone on here gets as up in arms about it. In fact, I am sure all of us who do live in NYC do it on a regular basis. Myself included.

Goodbye Sister Disco

Reginald Tresilian
#46re: Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 11:09am

True, Winston3. But there are others here who are acting like a cell phone is a iron lung from which they cannot possibly be separated.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#47re: Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 11:11am

I'm guilty of having my phone on/texting before the show starts, but when the show starts, my phone is put on silent and then turned off, in case for whatever reason it stays on it still won't ring.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Reginald Tresilian
#48re: Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 11:16am

The other thing I need to mention is that I'm pretty certain that I've NEVER been at a performance in the last five years when I didn't hear a cell phone ring.

I believe it happens every single time.

My bf once had his cell phone ring at a show. He was certain he had silenced it.

If I knew how to do that legendary spy thing where you kill someone with a rolled-up magazine, I would have murdered him onh the spot with my Playbill.

trinaaron Profile Photo
trinaaron
#49re: Is something going on with the ushers at Shrek?
Posted: 1/16/09 at 11:18am

I (and several people I know), have become so paranoid about our phones ringing in a theater that I almost always end up taking the battery out.