Is Amy Spanger any good?

savannah
#1Is Amy Spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 11:59am

Kelli Barrett was so good in Rock of Ages. Why isn't she staying with the show? I hope Amy can do a good job but I'm afraid her voice isn't great. I've only heard it through the computer so that's not always a fair representation, but I'm worried.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2re: Is Amy Spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 12:01pm

I hope Amy can do a good job but I'm afraid her voice isn't great.

Really? You may not like her voice, but she can certainly sing. Quite well.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

TheCharleston Profile Photo
TheCharleston
#2re: Is Amy Spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 12:08pm

She's got ridiculous forward placement and a definitive vibrato (some LOVE it, some HATE it..) so I guess her vocal tone is an acquired taste.

Regardless, she can sing the sh*t out of mostly any song and her belting abilities are fabulous.

broadwayguy2
#3re: Is Amy Spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 12:18pm

I just think that she is about 20 years too old for the role and lacks the necessary innocence that the role requires.
I saw Savannah Wise in this role and loved her. I also had the extreme misfortune of seeing Nicolette Hart paired with James Snyder.. you have to be careful with casting in this show.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#4re: Is Amy Spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 12:19pm

Are you kidding? Her version of "Always True To You (In My Fashion)" from the KISS ME, KATE revival is killer! Really, any of her songs on the album are fantastic. I'm personally a huge fan of her and her voice.

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#5re: Is Amy Spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 12:20pm

yeah, go look her up singing Come To Your Senses from Tick TicK Boom... LOVE her vocals there!

savannah
#6re: Is Amy Spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 12:35pm

I don't think she's too old. In fact, she looks really young to me, she could pass for mid 20s. The characters are not suppose to be in High School, like Grease. They're young adults. They can be older than Grease characters, and John Travolta had to be 30 in that movie.

Glad to hear some of you Broadway stars and legends love her voice. I'm pulling for her. It's just that I got a little minnie mouse vibe when listening to the rehearsal vids. I hope she's great.
Updated On: 3/5/09 at 12:35 PM

doubleentendre
#8is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 12:46pm

Have you not heard her belt her brains out in Wedding Singer? I made return visits to that show simply to see her rock it out again.

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#8is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 12:53pm

Listen to Tick Tick Boom. Please.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#9is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 12:58pm

Color the Hours has it right...listen to Always True To You and then tell me what you think.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#10is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 1:01pm

Amy Spanger looks very young... and besides, I doubt anyone who goes to Rock of Ages are going to care if she's "a little old" or "lacks innocence". They're there to see people sing the **** out of 80s songs.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Parks
#11is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 1:22pm

Amy makes me want to see this show. :)

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

savannah
#12is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 1:27pm

I found the you tube for Tick Tick Boom, Come to your senses. Beautiful voice, beautiful girl. I'm so relieved and thank you for pointing it out. Couldn't find Always True to You but I listened to a snippet of it from the Kiss Me Kate cast recording on Amazon and it sounded fabulous!

Can't wait for ROCK OF AGES!

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#13is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 1:29pm

Amy brought the house down every single time she sang Come to Your Senses in Tick Tick Boom. Every single time. Her singing is topnotch.

She's also gorgeous, has a young naive quality about her, and I think there's noone better for the role of Sherrie.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#14is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 1:58pm

What I've discovered is that taste is so relative ~ asking a question about someone's ability to perform in a certain show based on opinion is kind of pointless unless you're chumming the waters for a fight. Who some people adore, others cannot stand. And there's really no use doing anything other than to agree to disagree unless you want to go round and round in circles. Someone some people like, others won't. You either go see a show with someone in regardless of your opinion on their voice or you decide that will keep you away. It's basically all up to you. :)

A friend of mine uses to always say in situations like these, that's why god made chocolate and vanilla. Different tastes make the world go round.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

SporkGoddess
#15is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 2:17pm

She's really, really good when she isn't singing with that extremely forward placement. She tends to lose it in the lower notes, and that's when I love her voice.

But, yeah, her belting can sound obnoxious.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

bwaylvsong
#16is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 3:39pm

Her ATTY is the best I've ever heard anyone sing any song. Seriously. It's perfect.

KingKong
#17is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 4:34pm

Amy makes me want to see this show. :)

this. I had no interest in this show before she was announced.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#18is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 4:41pm

If anyone needs evidence of how good Amy will be in the show, watch the video of her and Constantine doing High Enough.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#19is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 4:45pm

"But, yeah, her belting can sound obnoxious"

-If you are a fan of who you have in your avatar, I now understand why you would find Amy's belting annoying, you have quite a peculiar taste when it comes to voices.

I think Amy is one of the best belters in Broadway. A real triple threat.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

SporkGoddess
#20is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 4:49pm

For the last time, I don't like Katie Clarke's singing. I used to criticize her all of the time on this board. I just like this picture.

Amy Spanger has a good belt, but it's REALLY forward. I think it can get on your nerves.

Updated On: 3/5/09 at 04:49 PM

muscle23ftl
#21is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 4:56pm

"For the last time, I don't like Katie Clarke's singing"

Thank god! I don't read the board that often and I missed it.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

VocalLizzy Profile Photo
VocalLizzy
#22is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 4:57pm

Well, Miss Jane2, since you asked sooooooo nicely.

In the words of Act 1's opener, "How can I resist"?

Rock on!

Miss Lizzy
Fan Director
TheCryofthestrip.com

p.s. This video is NOT bootleg but has been posted on YouTube by the online marketing team for "Rock of Ages"
You Tube - Amy Spanger / Constantine Maroulis -

SporkGoddess
#23is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 4:59pm

Haha, no problem. It's just that there's a member here who constantly mentions my liking Katie Clarke as a reason to dismiss my opinion, even though I've said like ten million times that I dislike her singing.

muscle23ftl
#24is amy spanger any good?
Posted: 3/5/09 at 5:05pm

Spork, you should change your avatar then! Put someone you admire in it.

Videos