pixeltracker

African-America Phantom of The Opera?

African-America Phantom of The Opera?

AndAllThatJazz22
#1African-America Phantom of The Opera?
Posted: 3/20/09 at 8:29pm

Why has there never been an African-American Phantom of the Opera on broadway? ! I think there was one in LA, but I'm 90% sure that there has never been one on Broadway. Norm, are you reading this. Who would your choices be

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2re: African-America Phantom of The Opera?
Posted: 3/20/09 at 8:33pm

Sammy Davis Jr. did a mean MUSIC OF THE NIGHT!

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#2re: African-America Phantom of The Opera?
Posted: 3/20/09 at 8:41pm

There was a black Phantom in LA? I could see that working. Wouldn't take me out of it.
Updated On: 3/20/09 at 08:41 PM

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#3re: African-America Phantom of The Opera?
Posted: 3/20/09 at 9:03pm

That would be Robert Guillaume who also played "Benson" on TV.
Yes, Norm has mentioned, at one time, that he would like to wear the mask. I think he would do it justice...but I doubt it will happen.

In my opinion, I feel it's unlikely that an African American will play the role any time soon, if at all and especially not in New York. Phantom & Jean Valjean are 2 roles that seem to follow suit with this traditional casting.

I don't think it's fair, but I surely don't have the initials CSA after my name.

Benson as Phantom

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#4re: African-America Phantom of The Opera?
Posted: 3/20/09 at 9:26pm

I would have no problem with it. The one thing that I do have a problem with are some of the offensive comments that were in the video.

Someone said that, in the book, The Phantom was white therefor for the show he should be white. I find that something that I would have trouble agreeing with considering that in the book Carlotta was white and there recently was/still is a black actress playing the role on Broadway.

Also, wasn't there not that long ago a black actress who played the role of Madam Thenardier in London?

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

husk_charmer
#5re: African-America Phantom of The Opera?
Posted: 3/20/09 at 9:36pm

Wasn't there some controversy surrounding Guillaume as the Phantom?

And, slightly off-topic, but the current Carlotta (at least from photos) doesn't look African-American to me at all.

With the argument that because he's white in the book, the person must also not be able to handle the multi-racial casting of Les Misérables as well.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

dg22894
#6re: African-America Phantom of The Opera?
Posted: 3/20/09 at 9:38pm

I think as long as he can sing well (WHICH NORM LEWIS CAN) it should fine

TimeSquare3 Profile Photo
TimeSquare3
#7re: African-America Phantom of The Opera?
Posted: 3/20/09 at 9:45pm

Patricia Phillips? She's black.

Her bio:
PATRICIA PHILLIPS is honored to be the first woman of African-American descent to perform the role of Carlotta on Broadway.

<<-- Help save Terminator: SCC
"The gay one?" -- Marissa Jaret Winokur on the Jonas Brothers.

dg22894
#8re: African-America Phantom of The Opera?
Posted: 3/20/09 at 9:54pm

http://www.gogirl222.cabanova.com/

Maybe it is the make up cause she does look African American
I would also love to see Strokes Mitchell as The Phantom too

husk_charmer
#9re: African-America Phantom of The Opera?
Posted: 3/20/09 at 10:06pm

^ It may just be the pictures I've seen. I wasn't doubting that she was, just stating that she didn't look like it.

dg22894
#10re: African-America Phantom of The Opera?
Posted: 3/20/09 at 10:18pm

^ I did too until I saw her website

eatlasagna
#11re: African-America Phantom of The Opera?
Posted: 3/20/09 at 10:22pm

besides Japan which alway casts japanese people... was Margaret Anne Gates (the first and only Asian Ellen in Miss Saigon i believe) the only Asian American woman to play Christine? I know she played it in Toronto, right?

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#12re: African-America Phantom of The Opera?
Posted: 3/20/09 at 10:36pm

Wait, wait wait...Benson? BENSON was the PHANTOM?

NBC
#13re: African-America Phantom of The Opera?
Posted: 3/20/09 at 11:31pm

Yes, Benson was the Phantom. I'm sorry I missed that.

I saw Sammy Davis Jr. perform in 1989, and he told the audience that he was in talks to play the Phantom on Broadway. Unfortunately, he passed away within a year's time and it never happened.

"I cried during the Frug." - MC

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#14re: African-America Phantom of The Opera?
Posted: 3/20/09 at 11:42pm

He sure was!

I was working at the Music Center at the time Guillaume was the Phantom. I saw his performance MANY MANY TIMES.

There was nothing inherently wrong with casting an African-American in the role... except for ONE thing... the white, lonely, romantically starved Phantom "Phans" had a VERY difficult time getting their "fix." They just didn't leave the theatre with the wet panties a white Phantom gave them. Pardon me for being so crude...but it is true.

I'm not making this up either. I was in close contact with the Phans and they were pretty vocal(to lily white me anyway) about sitting out Guillaume's run in the show till a more suitable (read "white") person was cast.

Also, you have to consider that Guillaume just replace Crawford.. so the lonely gals were in some state of "mourning."

Now..

One the subject of Guillaume's performance. He was a very ANGRY Phantom... not the soulful, erotic creature of Crawford.

This is bit extreme.. but...he was closer to Ike Turner than Don Juan. There were times I thought he was going to haul off and bitch-slap Christine!

I was there for a private after performance discussion with a group of black members from the audience. I distinctly remember Guillaume saying that he intentionally was trying to bring a "black sensibility" to the role.

I remember thinking.. "what the hell is he talking about? This is Phantom.. not RAISIN!

Anyway.. whenever I see or hear a black actor play a traditionally white role with a tad too much anger (ex. Diahann Carroll in SUNSET BLVD, or Audra McDonald in PASSION.) I can't help think "Is this what Guillaume meant by black sensibility?"

As a side note: The one adjustment in costume they made for Guillaume was to have a "silver" mask instead of a white mask.

What great ones do the less will prattle of
Updated On: 3/20/09 at 11:42 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#15re: African-America Phantom of The Opera?
Posted: 3/21/09 at 12:01am

Also, wasn't there not that long ago a black actress who played the role of Madam Thenardier in London?

On Broadway, Fuschia Walker

http://www.broadwaylesmis.com/Gallery/PAViewPhoto.asp?ID=307

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#16re: African-America Phantom of The Opera?
Posted: 3/21/09 at 1:43am

I saw Robert Guillaume's performace in Phantom (while in Los Angeles) and I loved it. Yes, I agree, his Phantom was a little more angry than Michael Crawford's (which I also loved). I remember Robert's mask was more gray than silver ... but hey, it's not like I worked at the Music Center, so I could be mistaken. I seem to remember that silver masked was used for the asain touring company of Phantom.
...but definately Robert's Phantom was more agressive.

TimeSquare3 Profile Photo
TimeSquare3
#17re: African-America Phantom of The Opera?
Posted: 3/21/09 at 1:50am

How was his makeup? It would seem that the normal makeup wouldn't show up on his skin.

<<-- Help save Terminator: SCC
"The gay one?" -- Marissa Jaret Winokur on the Jonas Brothers.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#18re: African-America Phantom of The Opera?
Posted: 3/21/09 at 10:40am

While we're on the subject, the principle casting notice breakdown for "Love Never Dies," the "Phantom" sequel (also known as "Worst Idea Ever") specifically says that all the principles (including the Phantom) are to be played by caucasian actors. I personally don't have any moral problem with this (it's their show, they can do whatever they want), but as most casting agencies, even if they know the director will probably cast mostly white people, always put the whole "We encourage actors of all ethnicities" disclaimer on their breakdowns, I imagine they will be getting a lot of flack.

BTW, although I'm not one of those people who believes that every actor can play every role, I think that given the circumstances of the story, a black Phantom would be fine. And Norm Lewis would be great.

Gingersnap2 Profile Photo
Gingersnap2
#19re: African-America Phantom of The Opera?
Posted: 3/21/09 at 10:42am

I remember seeing Robert Guillaume perform "The Music of The Night" on television during his short LA run. There was some sort of concert special on PBS and I watched it because I knew it was going to include some Phantom numbers.

Well, I enjoyed the performance of "All I Ask of You" with Dale and Reese Holland (I believe that was Raoul). But Guillaume's performance was horrifyingly bad. His stage presence was dull and horribly strained...his voice was very tense. There was nothing seductive or mysterious about his Phantom. I remember thinking that, ha, he seemed painfully constipated.

Race or skin color wasn't a factor at all. I just hated the performance and, after all these years, he's one of the worst I've seen/heard in the role.

I wish I could find the tape. I know I recorded it, but the tape vanished years ago.

I'd love to see someone like Norm in the role...he has one of my favorite voices in general.

As for the make-up being an issue on dark skin...I have a photo that was taken either for Phantom's 16th birthday or when it became the second-longest running show on Broadway (I'm not 100% sure because it wasn't labeled when I got it and I've never bothered to ask Hugh). It shows Hugh Panaro, make-up artist Thelma Pollard, and an African-American TV host. The TV host has the Phantom make-up on. It's obviously not the full make-up, but was just done for the news segment...but it gives an idea how it would look.

re: African-America Phantom of The Opera?

ETA - I remember seeing Patricia Phillips backstage without make-up during a tour and I would never have guessed she was African-American. I like her Carlotta a lot. Updated On: 3/21/09 at 10:42 AM

aaronssongs
#20re: African-America Phantom of The Opera?
Posted: 7/15/09 at 9:24am

My dear Sally Struthers,
It's so refreshing to see honesty, and that you do nothing to disguise your overt racism.
That your own career has taken a decided "backseat", now gives you the time and the wherewithall to "wax" as a critic. You're as good at it, as you were an actress. Those that can't critique.
The vitriol you spew for Guillaume is no different from that that you spewed for Debbie Allen. You're more like Carroll O'Connor's "Archie", than he was. Sad. And it's almost 2010. Aaronssongs

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#21re: African-America Phantom of The Opera?
Posted: 7/15/09 at 9:26am

Oh, for Christ's sake.

husk_charmer
#22re: African-America Phantom of The Opera?
Posted: 7/15/09 at 9:33am

aarongsongs-

What BFB states about the Phans is pretty true from everything I have read. Never ONCE have I seen her say *anything* remotely racist about anyone.

Do us a favor, keep your thoughts in check, and let a dearly departed member alone.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#23re: African-America Phantom of The Opera?
Posted: 7/15/09 at 9:36am

I would have no problem whatsoever having an African American Phantom. But then again...I seldom have a problem with color blind casting.

However, I wouldn't go see it -- but that's because I truly hate POTO. Ugh.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#24re: African-America Phantom of The Opera?
Posted: 7/15/09 at 9:37am

I'm pretty sure the problem was that she couldn't tell Robert Guillaume and Debbie Allen apart.