pixeltracker

London Production Of 'Spring Awakening' To Close Early

London Production Of 'Spring Awakening' To Close Early

MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
#1London Production Of 'Spring Awakening' To Close Early
Posted: 5/12/09 at 1:16pm

The London production of the Broadway musical, 'Spring Awakening' is to shutter on May 30th after just 9 weeks in the West End.

Most nights it is playing to around 200 in a 1100 seater house.

Updated On: 5/12/09 at 01:16 PM

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#2re: London Production Of 'Spring Awakening' To Close
Posted: 5/12/09 at 1:18pm

Seems the British share my views on this show!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
Updated On: 5/12/09 at 01:18 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2re: London Production Of 'Spring Awakening' To Close
Posted: 5/12/09 at 1:32pm

Wow! That's pretty harsh. I have a friend in London and she thought the cast was pretty terrific.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

PiraguaGuy2
#3re: London Production Of 'Spring Awakening' To Close
Posted: 5/12/09 at 1:34pm

I told you the Act One finale wouldn't be sexy enough with those British teeth.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

ZONEACE
#4re: London Production Of 'Spring Awakening' To Close
Posted: 5/12/09 at 1:36pm

shocking, a terrible show closing quickly.

when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#6re: London Production Of 'Spring Awakening' To Close
Posted: 5/12/09 at 1:38pm

Will coolkind try to get tickets?

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
#7re: London Production Of 'Spring Awakening' To Close
Posted: 5/12/09 at 1:39pm

I hear he's on the last flight out of JFK tonight!

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#8re: London Production Of 'Spring Awakening' To Close
Posted: 5/12/09 at 1:41pm

What's he going to do in London for two weeks? Is anything else closing?

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#9re: London Production Of 'Spring Awakening' To Close
Posted: 5/12/09 at 1:45pm

Really kicking myself for not seeing this in London now. (Although I'd have been running around so much I probably would've hurt myself.)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#10re: London Production Of 'Spring Awakening' To Close
Posted: 5/12/09 at 1:48pm

Any pictures of the marquee and stuff? I'm just curious to see the promotional materials they used for it.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#11re: London Production Of 'Spring Awakening' To Close
Posted: 5/12/09 at 1:49pm

The Drowsy Chaperone tanked there too. I guess the British have differently sensibilites. It seems like the REALLY FLUFFY stuff like Dirty Dancing, Bombay Dreams, and Saturday Night Fever are huge hits over there. The stuff that flies in London often tanks over here. Go figure.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#12re: London Production Of 'Spring Awakening' To Close
Posted: 5/12/09 at 1:49pm

My friend in London said even orchestra seats were being sold for about 15 pounds (25 bucks - ish). It had stellar reviews, and the off b'way equivalent was a huge success.

I'm not so sure the 200 out of 1100 seats is accurate....but it doesnt' really matter now.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#13re: London Production Of 'Spring Awakening' To Close
Posted: 5/12/09 at 1:52pm

It's funny, Bettyboy.

I remember when I was in high school and the vocal teacher was talking about how he was going to London and was going to see Jolson while he was there. He was going on and on about how it was such a hit and was going to be the next "Phantom". He couldn't wait for it to come over here and open on Broadway.

And it never did.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#14re: London Production Of 'Spring Awakening' To Close
Posted: 5/12/09 at 1:56pm

RippedMan, when I was there it was about to transfer to the West End, but there were ads all over the Tube (esp. in the lifts). From what I remember each ad had one of the kids on a white background -- Wendla jumping and looking happy and Moritz at the mic. I'm sure there was a Melchior one too, but I don't remember it.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#15re: London Production Of 'Spring Awakening' To Close
Posted: 5/12/09 at 2:00pm

Well, now we know what is going to clutter Broadwaysecrets this week.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#16re: London Production Of 'Spring Awakening' To Close
Posted: 5/12/09 at 2:23pm

So sort of like the ads used here? Just curious to see what the marquee and the theater looked like. The theaters over there are always so beautiful.

BNN
#17re: London Production Of 'Spring Awakening' To Close
Posted: 5/12/09 at 2:27pm

Is it OK if I blame this on George Bush?

Tick Tock

legallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#19re: London Production Of 'Spring Awakening' To Close
Posted: 5/12/09 at 2:36pm

Those London buildings are beautiful.

And, yes, in the past few years I've found that the West End is full of garbage, mostly the musicals. I'm glad that Broadway is not buying into the same crap.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#20re: London Production Of 'Spring Awakening' To Close
Posted: 5/12/09 at 2:54pm

HA HA HA HA HA!!

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#21re: London Production Of 'Spring Awakening' To Close
Posted: 5/12/09 at 2:58pm

Seriously a shame. I don't care how people on this board feel. I love this show and I'm sad to see this news.

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#22re: London Production Of 'Spring Awakening' To Close
Posted: 5/12/09 at 3:18pm

Well, now we know what is going to clutter Broadwaysecrets this week.

Is it ever NOT?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#23re: London Production Of 'Spring Awakening' To Close
Posted: 5/12/09 at 3:19pm

What a shame. Such a wonderful show. Too bad the British have no taste.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

boyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
#24re: London Production Of 'Spring Awakening' To Close
Posted: 5/12/09 at 3:40pm

Huh, Foster? If I recall correctly, the highlight (critically, financially, artistically and nominations-wise) of the 08/09 Broadway musical theatre season is a British-grown show. How is that tasteless?

Videos