tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#1Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary?
Posted: 5/29/09 at 5:48am

Loved his score for Aida, never quite connected with BE though.

I think he could do a bang up job with Bridget Jones's Diary* though. And what a great role for a leading lady.

*I never understood why it's not " Jones' ". Anyone know if that's a UK thing?

link

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 5/29/09 at 05:48 AM

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#2re: Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary?
Posted: 5/29/09 at 5:55am

seems like a pretty solid match

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#2re: Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary?
Posted: 5/29/09 at 8:49am

Hmmm this actually seems like a very good idea.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#3re: Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary?
Posted: 5/29/09 at 10:37am

Loved his score for Aida, never quite connected with BE though.

Ha! I'm actually the reverse. Love Billy Elliot, but not much of an Aida fan. I just watched Bridget Jones' Diary a couple of weeks ago for the first time in years and forgotten how utterly charming the film was. My first thought was how well it would work on stage. I think Elton is the perfect choice for the show. If they can keep the show well-grounded and not too much flash and spectacle, I think it could be a hit. Sheridan Smith as Bridget, please!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#4re: Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary?
Posted: 5/29/09 at 10:55am

My hope is that this will be VG, in manner of film adaptation of first novel. My fear is that it will be NOT VG, in manner of film adaptation of second novel.

The tone of this post is Weight - 14 stone. Cigarettes - 1. Alcohol Units - 0. Filtered by Tone-A-TronTM
Updated On: 5/29/09 at 10:55 AM

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#5re: Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary?
Posted: 5/29/09 at 11:12am

"Please Elton John, must we continue with this charade?"

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Chrysanthemum62001
#6re: Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary?
Posted: 5/29/09 at 11:15am

Jack Davenport did the recent reading as Daniel. I have no clue if the man can sing, but I think he's a great choice.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#7re: Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary?
Posted: 5/29/09 at 11:23am

somebody stop this man!

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#8re: Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary?
Posted: 5/29/09 at 11:42am

It would be nice to hear from a new composer. Maybe someone out there that has been trying to break into the business. Elton has his, give some new composer a chance. Elton scores are fine but not ones that I listen to over and over again.

Just give the world Love.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#9re: Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary?
Posted: 5/29/09 at 1:29pm

It's Jones's because it's grammatically correct to add 's after a noun, even if it ends in an S. I've always done it this way. In fact, I do believe it's more grammatically correct to write Jones's than Jones'. The latter has just become acceptable because no one really learns it correctly. Kind of like how alright should really be all right.

~Steven

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#10re: Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary?
Posted: 5/29/09 at 1:37pm

Yes, as HeyMrMusic says, it's because the use of Jones' instead of Jones's is only the better version if Jones is plural (as in more than one Jone, whatever that might be). Singular nouns that just happen to end in an s can be pluralized with 's.

"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#11re: Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary?
Posted: 5/29/09 at 1:45pm

Also, if you're pluralizing Jones (as if you're saying then entire Jones clan), it should be Joneses and not Jones'. I know this because my last name ends in an s. Apostrophes should signify possession, not pluralization.

~Steven

rjjn Profile Photo
rjjn
#12re: Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary?
Posted: 5/29/09 at 1:58pm

I don't get why people are so against Elton John. Sure, he's had his chance with musicals already, but that doesn't mean he should stop writing them. A composer shouldn't have a quota of works.

"Rather than ignore those who choose to publish their opinions without actually talking to me, I am happy to dispel any rumors or misconceptions and am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest and feel most fortunate to be working with wonderful people in the business I love." -Neil Patrick Harris

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#13re: Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary?
Posted: 5/29/09 at 2:42pm

I agree. If Elton writes this score for this it's not like it will be preventing other composers from writing other musicals. If nobody likes it, it will go the way of Lestat. If people love it, it may reach the success of Lion King, Billy Elliot or Aida. Meanwhile, other shows can still be produced and written. Composers interested in tackling the material could try being aggressive and contact Working Title or Helen Fielding. It's not like they have to sit around and hope someone gives them a call.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 5/29/09 at 02:42 PM

iamchanging9 Profile Photo
iamchanging9
#14re: Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary?
Posted: 5/29/09 at 2:58pm

I don't know how I feel about this. I don't know if Elton can write a very comedic score...

...everyone was doing the mambo and drinking golden cadillacs...

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#15re: Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary?
Posted: 5/29/09 at 4:54pm

To answer your question, taz:
"*I never understood why it's not " Jones' ". Anyone know if that's a UK thing?"

Yes, correct grammer IS an almost EXCLUSIVELY UK thing, particularly these days. Half this country is illiterate (fact), and that's not even counting the millions of illegal immigrants the vast majority of whom cannot speak English. And it's not getting any better.

I think a more... magical... property would be more exciting from EJ and display his aptitude a little more than AIDA or BE. While this subject seems fine, I was hoping his return to the artistry of his early albums on his most recent pop outing might inspire a more creative subject for musicalization. No, LESTAT certainly wasn't "magical" but I think that fault lies almost exclusively with the book/direction and too much restructuring (the show on Broadway bared litle resemblence to what EJ set out to write with Taupin, and Taupin's lyrics weren't too great come to think of it).

Love him or hate him, EJ's best (non-pop) material has been his work with Tim Rice (TLK, ROAD TO EL DORADO, AIDA) and considering they wrote the score to AIDA in 21 days, it certainly wouldn't be a huge undertaking for either of them, at this point.

EJ is quickly becoming the only composer to consistently write a new Broadway score every few seasons (and get it produced), which is certainly something to be proud of these days.

A Good Nightmare Comes So Rarely,
P genre

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#16re: Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary?
Posted: 5/29/09 at 4:56pm

I have my own personl reason for being against this. I am a tremendous Elton John fanatic. He hasn't put out a new album since 2006. I want a new one.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#17re: Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary?
Posted: 5/29/09 at 4:59pm

Yes, correct grammer IS an almost EXCLUSIVELY UK thing, particularly these days

Well, you wouldn't know that from those who post here (Weez being a notable exception)

The tone of this post is Truth Bomb! Filtered by Tone-A-TronTM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#18re: Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary?
Posted: 5/29/09 at 5:10pm

True, he hasn't wrote an entirely comedic score, but bits of Aida and Billy Elliot show he can handle the whimsy. I applaud him for taking on such drastically different projects.

SporkGoddess
#19re: Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary?
Posted: 5/29/09 at 6:27pm

But what about correct grammar?

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#20re: Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary?
Posted: 5/29/09 at 6:48pm

That's what Tim Rice is for...LOL JK.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#21re: Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary?
Posted: 5/29/09 at 7:29pm

"Half this country is illiterate (fact)"

Really? 150 million Americans illiterate? Do you have a link for that statistic?

....but the world goes 'round

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#22re: Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary?
Posted: 5/29/09 at 8:17pm

e.g., taz:

"True, he hasn't wrote an entirely comedic score..."

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

DooWahDiddy Profile Photo
DooWahDiddy
#23re: Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary?
Posted: 5/29/09 at 11:19pm

"I have my own personl reason for being against this. I am a tremendous Elton John fanatic. He hasn't put out a new album since 2006. I want a new one."

Me too, Rudy2, and the good news is that we don't have to wait much longer!

http://www.berniejtaupin.com/articles.bt?n_id=459542

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#24re: Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary?
Posted: 5/29/09 at 11:35pm

DooWahDiddy, I have heard through other diehard fans that are more in the know than you or I that Taupin's site is out of date and that the album has been pushed back to 2010. re: Elton to score Bridget Jones's Diary? Bummer, I know. If Elton abandons recording new material in favor of scoring more musicals I will not be a happy man.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)