News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23- Page 2

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23

EAPEAPMO
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 5:38pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "chrishuyen said: "What do we think the weekly nut for NYNY is? Based on the gross it seems like it's doing alright (just under 1mil) even if its average ticket cost is somewhat low, and it doesn't look like critic reviews impacted it all that much, and it has a slew of nominations now anyways."

I’d wager the running cost is about 700K. Similar to BC and SLIH.Someone on here was floating 850 for SLIH but that seems a little crazy.

It’s quite early in NYNY’s run. The “traditional theatergoer” flocks to a show like this in the first 6-12 weeks. It also had the benefit of some high-profile press. Now it has noms. TOOTSIE and GROUNDHOG DAY and 2018’s CAROUSEL started strong like this too…we need to wait a month or two to see how the numbers even out.
"

I'd think you're low on all of those numbers myself and would think all 3 of those shows mentioned are close to 850k - I know they managed to get HLL around 700k somehow (massive up front spend to renovate the Broadway Theater, and then budget putting it back together, though) but my understanding is most musicals are now in the 800k-1mm range, especially shows launched this season. Sweeney is over 1mm.  ALW said Phantom was >1mm/week in his NYT article. 

Updated On: 5/2/23 at 05:38 PM

BossBroadway
#26Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 5:39pm

I think the maximum for Some Like It Hot would be 800k. I'd say the maximum for New York, New York, and Bad Cinderella would be 850k, due to their larger casts, orchestras, and (frankly) more extravagant sets. 

EAPEAPMO
#27Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 5:53pm

BossBroadway said: "I think the maximum for Some Like It Hot would be 800k. I'd say the maximum for New York, New York, and Bad Cinderella would be 850k, due to their larger casts, orchestras, and (frankly) more extravagant sets."

Yeah that would make sense too

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#28Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 6:13pm

SLIH will probably get a boost due to all of their Tony nominations. Hopefully the same for Shucked.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

chrishuyen
#29Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 6:14pm

According to Philip Boroff of the Broadway Journal, Some Like It Hot needs a weekly gross of $900k to break even 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#30Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 6:33pm

chrishuyen said: "According to Philip Boroff of the Broadway Journal, Some Like It Hot needs a weekly gross of $900k to break even"

It needs some Tony wins to keep going. Otherwise, it'll be closed by July.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

GoldenGiggery
#31Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 6:54pm

”I stand by predictions I've been saying for weeks - Bad Cinderella is gone by the end of May, Dancin' by the end of June.”

Looks like you’ll be needing to adjust those predictions, Mr Wormwood. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#32Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/3/23 at 12:15am

Kind of crazy we might see - and I know others have been expensive - a normal weekly operating cost around $1M. That’s pretty insane. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#33Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/3/23 at 5:10am

^ I often reflect that it wasnt too terribly long ago, when we were all impressed with any show that was "welcomed to the millionaire's club" - and how now its so ordinary.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#34Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/3/23 at 5:23am

dramamama611 said: "^ I often reflect that it wasnt too terribly long ago, when we were all impressed with any show that was "welcomed to the millionaire's club" - and how now its so ordinary."

Yes! It’s like the club membership needs to be 1.5 million minimum now to account for increased costs haha. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#35Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/3/23 at 7:37am

GoldenGiggery said: "”I stand by predictions I've been saying for weeks - Bad Cinderella is gone by the end of May, Dancin' by the end of June.”

Looks like you’ll be needing to adjust those predictions, Mr Wormwood.
"

I said by the end of June meaning that's the latest I could see it staying open so... my prediction was accurate

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#36Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/3/23 at 8:00am

Wellll......you gave Dancin more time than BC, so it's a little off. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#37Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/3/23 at 8:05am

dramamama611 said: "Wellll......you gave Dancin more time than BC, so it's a little off."

Drag her.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#38Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/3/23 at 8:28am

dramamama611 said: "Wellll......you gave Dancin more time than BC, so it's a little off."

Ok... I'm not a fortune teller. I was making a prediction. And I worded it the way I did to give myself some wiggle room. Yes I thought Bad Cinderella might close a little bit before Dancin but obviously I don't know exactly when these shows are going to close.

MadsonMelo
#39Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/3/23 at 11:49am

It seems ''Hadestown'' can live through 2023, right? It's lasting more than I thought and without stunt casting. Good for them!

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#40Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/3/23 at 11:55am

MadsonMelo said: "It seems ''Hadestown'' can live through 2023, right? It's lasting more than I thought and without stunt casting. Good for them!"

They need to get rid of Reeve Carney. I know many people who would gladly see it again but are waiting to see a new Orpheus. He’s not a draw and he’s also not particularly good.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#41Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/3/23 at 2:15pm

Agreed. I hated the Bway show when I saw it, but then I saw the tour and it all clicked. Lev is a great Hermes and sings the crap out of it. I get Andre Shields had his appeal, but Levi really worked for me. And the two leads were fantastic. Look forward to seeing it again on tour.

windowwaving
#42Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/3/23 at 7:07pm

RippedMan said: "Agreed. I hated the Bway show when I saw it, but then I saw the tour and it all clicked. Lev is a great Hermes and sings the crap out of it. I get Andre Shields had his appeal, but Levi really worked for me. And the two leads were fantastic. Look forward to seeing it again on tour."

Agreed. I like Reeve but remember feeling underwhelmed after watching it on Broadway. The tour truly made me a fan of the show. Nicholas Barasch was perfectly cast, as was the rest of the touring cast. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#43Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/3/23 at 11:18pm

raddersons said: "MadsonMelo said: "It seems ''Hadestown'' can live through 2023, right? It's lasting more than I thought and without stunt casting. Good for them!"

They need to get rid of Reeve Carney. I know many people who would gladly see it again but are waiting to see a new Orpheus. He’s not a draw and he’s also not particularly good.
"

I'd love to see someone other than Carney (was so hoping Nicholas Barash would make it to Bway), and wouldn't mind a different take on Eurydice either. I'd rush back to see either of their replacements.

But if every single person waiting to see a new castmember bought a ticket, they'd sell out a show or two, max. This show is not selling / not selling based on Reeve, Lillias, etc. Which is a good, encouraging sign, Id say

GoldenGiggery
#44Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/3/23 at 11:45pm

Reeve can’t sing the part anymore. Not only is he overplaying the “affected” take on Orpheus to an embarrassing level these days, but his voice is REALLY straining to sing those falsetto notes now. It’s really painful to watch. 

Videos