News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22- Page 3

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#50Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22
Posted: 5/3/22 at 8:46pm

Theatrefanboy1 wrote:

“I have no interest going to a show while masks and disclosure of medical information is in place. No interest in going to a city with such a rise in crime and deterioration (and I say this as someone who for a decade was completely in love with the city.”

Since this indictment has been posted by a self identifying producer based in another place, let’s take this moment to again celebrate our intrepid, audience trusting, art embracing New York producers who gave us an extraordinary season. I went back on 9/14/21 - I chose Chicago just to hear that Kander and Ebb overture after a sad 19 month musical theatre drought (yes, there were tears) - and have attended 14 additional performances of brand new work since. Great artists, gifted covers, masked and vaccinated audiences all brought their considerable light back to a no longer darkened Times Square. The results were glorious, and like many, I feel blessed to be a joyful participant in a genuine rebirth.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 5/3/22 at 08:46 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#51Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22
Posted: 5/3/22 at 9:16pm

Lololol. “disclosure of medical information”. Bro, you’ve needed to show vaccine information for a lot of travel and also to learn your ABC’s in Kindergarten for as long as most of us have been alive so calm down. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#52Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22
Posted: 5/3/22 at 9:18pm

And they want to see if you’ve been vaccinated since were in a global pandemic. They ain’t asking to see your chlamydia test. 

Updated On: 5/3/22 at 09:18 PM

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#53Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22
Posted: 5/3/22 at 9:31pm

Theatrefanboy1 said: "Well I can say as someone who only a couple years ago would make frequent trips into the city to spend a small fortune on shows. I agree completely with the assessment:

-I have no interest going to a show while masks and disclosure of medical information is in place
"

It’s just proof that you’re vaccinated. It’s not that serious  

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?
Updated On: 5/3/22 at 09:31 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#54Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22
Posted: 5/3/22 at 10:39pm

I doubt someone getting so defensive about those safeguards is vaccinated at all. 

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#55Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22
Posted: 5/3/22 at 10:46pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Just a note: anything with an Opening Night last week had lot of comps + press performances, accounting for a drop (or a very nominal increase). And we're now in the post-Easter, pre-summer weeks.

Aside from that...

Safe to assume that anything grossing less than $450K a week is losing money (13 shows last week). And of course some shows' costs are much higher than $450K. Of note, I'm curious to know what AMERICAN BUFFALO costs to run. That's not a big theatre, and because of that it might require them to gross like 80% or more each week to just break even on the running costs, considering there are 3 big star salaries.

Re: BEETLEJUICE –– From simply the standpoint of producers' hubris and fandom's "demand," it would be hilarious if this thing fizzles out by the end of summer. They're making profit, but they can't afford to drop TOO much more. That show's got to cost $700K a week at minimum.

COME FROM AWAY, DEAR EVAN HANSEN, and MRS. DOUBTFIRE are done by end of summer at the latest. CFA and DEH have had damn good runs.

I think we are going to see a LOT of closing announcements within the next 2 weeks.
"

"...it would be hilarious".... Seriously?  There's nothing funny about that.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

stoptheworld38 Profile Photo
stoptheworld38
#56Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22
Posted: 5/3/22 at 10:52pm

OhHiii said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "OhHiii said: "CFA probably still broke even last week. If they lost money, it wan't much. It's a surprisingly cheap show to run and doubt they've asked for concessions yet."

I would be amazed if CFA costs less than $500K to run per week these days. 18 in the cast (incl understudies) and 8 in the band. And a theatre owner with a glut of shows wanting to come in.
"

Be amazed then, because CFA costs less than $500K to run.
"

Very relieved to hear that!

you found your heart but left a part of you behind <3

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#57Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22
Posted: 5/3/22 at 11:51pm

Certain we will see a bunch of closing postings the day after Tony nominations come out. Will “Doubtfire”stick around? I’m assuming these new shows are going for some Tony buzz but I’m afraid Monday might just kill the future of a few shows. Anyone else? 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#58Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22
Posted: 5/4/22 at 12:08am

The worst fate, honestly, falls to those shows that get nominated and continue to run at a loss. They will burn through more good money after bad with nothing to show for it. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#59Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22
Posted: 5/4/22 at 12:38am

HogansHero said: "The worst fate, honestly, falls to those shows that get nominated and continue to run at a loss. They will burn through more good money after bad with nothing to show for it."

This. Nobody wants to be BRIGHT STAR or LEAP OF FAITH.

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#60Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22
Posted: 5/4/22 at 12:44am

HogansHero said: "The worst fate, honestly, falls to those shows that get nominated and continue to run at a loss. They will burn through more good money after bad with nothing to show for it."

So true. Pull the plug now. You are burning valuable dollars. But, alas, if we ruled the bdwy trajectory???

OceansJenny Profile Photo
OceansJenny
#61Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22
Posted: 5/4/22 at 9:02am

Ouch these numbers. And here I thought Times Square was looking much busier these days.

Anecdote: mom + around 5 friends usually come for Broadway week. This year it was only mom + the friend that loves Broadway who came. The casual friends dropped. I believe most said Covid. 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#62Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22
Posted: 5/4/22 at 9:54am

Hangman looks like it is in similar territory to For Colored Girls.

Hope Company lasts through end of July when I have tickets to see it.

Also hope some shows that are doing well extend past their current closing date.  I'd buy full priced tickets to Plaza Suite despite reviews if it played through the summer.

Updated On: 5/4/22 at 09:54 AM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#63Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22
Posted: 5/4/22 at 10:04am

I'd expect that that Hangmen and The Minutes might both still benefiting from SVOG money, no? 

soulmistin Profile Photo
soulmistin
#64Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22
Posted: 5/4/22 at 11:26am

Not to oversimplify, but I feel like since Covid times we’ve all gotten so used to proselytizing doom. These numbers seem pretty on point compared to previous years. Yes, there’s Covid and NY press overlap, but this just seems cyclic. Shows do worse, shows do better. I don’t think we need to start predicting the inevitable closing of some of these shows yet (even as much as I’d love to see Dear Evan Hansen gone). 

The exception here is Paradise Square. I have no clue how it’s run this far. 

Sutton Ross
#65Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22
Posted: 5/4/22 at 11:45am

As someone said in another thread, whomever is keeping it open and bleeding money, it's an emotional choice and doesn't come from a logistical, business perspective. Which is truly bizarre considering it's a.... business. 

Updated On: 5/4/22 at 11:45 AM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#66Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22
Posted: 5/4/22 at 1:57pm

JBroadway said: "I'd expect that that Hangmen and The Minutes might both still benefiting from SVOG money, no?"

Hangmen is only a 10 week run so I can imagine the worst that may happen is they just won’t extend. The Minutes may curtail their run, but again, probably not by much. Both are strong odds for a Best Play nod so that could help

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#67Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22
Posted: 5/4/22 at 4:22pm

The one title no one has mentioned yet is "Phantom", which looks like it's doing record low business. If this has been tourist-dependent for the last 25+ years, it looks like this may be the end of the road for them.  

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#68Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22
Posted: 5/5/22 at 9:38am

soulmistin said: "I’d love to see Dear Evan Hansen gone"

That's a very mean-spirited thing to say.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#69Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22
Posted: 5/5/22 at 9:39am

David10086 said: "The one title no one has mentioned yet is "Phantom", which looks like it's doing record low business. If this has been tourist-dependent for the last 25+ years, it looks like this may be the end of the road for them."

DON'T SAY THAT! angry

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#70Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22
Posted: 5/5/22 at 10:07am

Lot666 said: "soulmistin said: "I’d love to see Dear Evan Hansen gone"

"

I agree with soulmistin and I don't think it's mean-spirited at all. It has nothing to do with the incredibly talented actors, musicians, stage crew, behind the scenes, and front-of-house staff. I want it to stay open to keep them employed and, if it closes, I hope they all find work quickly and stay employed for years to come. But the show itself has aged TERRIBLY. We don't need a psychopath-glorifying musical served with a side of homophobia on Broadway, especially when it isn't selling well and has had a very respectable run. 

KFC1991
#71Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22
Posted: 5/5/22 at 10:24am

jkcohen626 said: "Lot666 said: "soulmistin said: "I’d love to see Dear Evan Hansen gone"

"

I agree with soulmistin and I don't think it's mean-spirited at all. It has nothing to do with the incredibly talented actors, musicians, stage crew, behind the scenes, and front-of-house staff. I want it to stay open to keep them employed and, if it closes, I hope they all find work quickly and stay employed for years to come. But the show itself has aged TERRIBLY. We don't need a psychopath-glorifying musical served with a side of homophobia on Broadway, especially when it isn't selling well and has had a very respectable run.
"

A psychopath would never experience the conflict Evan does. They just don't care.

Sutton Ross
#72Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22
Posted: 5/5/22 at 10:33am

We don't need a psychopath-glorifying musical served with a side of homophobia on Broadway, especially when it isn't selling well and has had a very respectable run.

Wow. Nearly every single thing is wrong in this sentence. Impressive. 

YvanEhtNioj
#73Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22
Posted: 5/5/22 at 10:43am

I also have to agree about DEH - I don't feel like it's that relevant anymore and I wouldn't be upset if it left. It had a very, very good run on Broadway and just like Kinky Boots, it can have a long life on tour. 

YvanEhtNioj
#74Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/1/22
Posted: 5/5/22 at 10:46am

David10086 said: "The one title no one has mentioned yet is "Phantom", which looks like it's doing record low business. If this has been tourist-dependent for the last 25+ years, it looks like this may be the end of the road for them."

Phantom mainly depends on big school groups, no? I feel like I always see hella teenagers outside in line. 

Though I know it's not going to happen, I wouldn't be upset if Phantom and DEH both ended their runs this year. There are so many good shows down the pipeline and there's not gonna be enough space for everyone.

Edit: throw Doubtfire in there too. 

Updated On: 5/5/22 at 10:46 AM

Videos