News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

BroadwayCon - A convention for Broadway fans- Page 11

BroadwayCon - A convention for Broadway fans

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#250BroadwayCon:
Posted: 1/18/16 at 9:20pm

Autographs and photo booth opportunities don't mean anything to me. At the last con I went to by the same group, panels were no problem to get into. As long as I don't get shut out of performances/panels I want to see, I'll be happy.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

delongpre
#251BroadwayCon:
Posted: 1/18/16 at 9:24pm

atuomala said: "To add the sessions of your choosing, log into your Tixr account, click "View Event" and it will give you the option to add the autograph/photo sessions of your choosing for free (2 sessions have already reached capacity so they are no longer available) but after I selected my sessions and confirmed them, I received the tickets in an email.

"Is that only for VIP ticket holders? I don't see any option for sessions....only a weekend ticket holder.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#252BroadwayCon:
Posted: 1/18/16 at 9:32pm

^ That's good to hear. I am glad I didn't get completely shut out from autograph sessions, but definitely they weren't a first priority for me. But, it's good to have a variety of things. It seems like they were trying to cater to different types of fans.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Emmaloucbway
#253BroadwayCon:
Posted: 1/18/16 at 10:26pm

I entered the lotto for autographs and never heard back- does that mean I didn't get in to any of the sessions? I wish they would notify me even if I didn't get in. Has this happened to anyone else? 

Mohawk Profile Photo
Mohawk
#254BroadwayCon:
Posted: 1/18/16 at 10:38pm

Try logging-in at tixr.com and going to "My Tickets."  If you don't have any other tickets besides your BroadwayCon admission ticket, then it looks like you didn't "win" any autograph tickets. 

It sounds like VIP pass holders can book more autographs from this site. 

Emmaloucbway
#255BroadwayCon:
Posted: 1/18/16 at 11:21pm

Thanks Mohawk! I thought they would send an email or something. I checked and it looks like I didn't get into any of the sessions. Oh well, that wasn't the most important part of the con for me anyway. 

rclocalz Profile Photo
rclocalz
#256BroadwayCon:
Posted: 1/19/16 at 10:53pm

Okays, guys... do you think this Winter Storm Jonas is going to be a big problem this weekend for the convention?? They keep calling it a Nor'easter. Either way, I am going to be working there all three days in the BroadwayCon Marketplace.

If you go, please stop by the Stella Adler Studio of Acting booth, would love to see you! We are giving away free pen/highlighter combos and also free Adler shirts to the first 100 folks. What else do people want at these booths? Candy?

http://www.glamsmash.com/ - Glamsmash Productions, a video production company in the heart of New York City

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#257BroadwayCon:
Posted: 1/19/16 at 10:59pm

http://www.broadwaycon.com/inclement-weather-policy/

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#258BroadwayCon:
Posted: 1/19/16 at 11:07pm

rclocalz said: "Okays, guys... do you think this Winter Storm Jonas is going to be a big problem this weekend for the convention?? They keep calling it a Nor'easter. Either way, I am going to be working there all three days in the BroadwayCon Marketplace.

If you go, please stop by the Stella Adler Studio of Acting booth, would love to see you! We are giving away free pen/highlighter combos and also free Adler shirts to the first 100 folks. What else do people want at these booths? Candy?"

I won't be able to make it to BroadwayCon this year, but my favorite kind-gesture-not-a-button at any booth in a convention is coffee or water. I know they're encouraging guests to bring a reusable bottle, but to be totally honest, I've never thrown one in my luggage for a short trip. Something like those small water bottles you can drink in a few chugs are great.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#259BroadwayCon:
Posted: 1/19/16 at 11:11pm

Once anybody physically get to the Hilton, it looks like the storm won't really pose any massive issues since its duration is when everybody will be in-house anyway.

rclocalz Profile Photo
rclocalz
#260BroadwayCon:
Posted: 1/19/16 at 11:23pm

oncemorewithfeeling2 said: "I won't be able to make it to BroadwayCon this year, but my favorite kind-gesture-not-a-button at any booth in a convention is coffee or water. I know they're encouraging guests to bring a reusable bottle, but to be totally honest, I've never thrown one in my luggage for a short trip. Something like those small water bottles you can drink in a few chugs are great."

That is a great idea oncemorewithfeeling2. I hadn't thought of that. I will look into those little water bottles.

http://www.glamsmash.com/ - Glamsmash Productions, a video production company in the heart of New York City

Pootie2
#261BroadwayCon:
Posted: 1/19/16 at 11:29pm

^I think the smallest ones are 8oz. Cute and great in an emergency.

Good luck to everyone traveling this week to the convention!

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

Akitarent
#262BroadwayCon:
Posted: 1/19/16 at 11:53pm

GET YOUR BROADWAY ON WITH NEAL!  Live from BROADWAYCON!!!

I am so honored to be covering press for the first-ever BroadwayCon.

Check for updates at the links below. I will try to bring as much as I can to you in real time. If you have a request for a certain panel, q&a or photos let me know! 

NEAL B. Live from BROADWAYCON!!!
January 22-January 24, 2016

RENT Reunion - Panels - Videos - Interviews - Photos - Streaming - More!

Instagram: NealBinNYC 
Facebook: Neal B in NYC / Broadway Sings for Pride
http://www.NealB.tv

Neal B from BroadwayCon

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#263BroadwayCon:
Posted: 1/20/16 at 11:16am

May God bless and keep the snow.. far away from us!

At least right now it doesn't look all that bad and will hopefully stall right below Philly.

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#264BroadwayCon:
Posted: 1/20/16 at 1:11pm

Sorry if this has been talked about (I didn't have time to read through 11 pages in the topic) or my questions might be trivial (this is my first con of any kind). I've tweeted Bwaycon plenty of times, asking them questions and never ONCE got a reply to anything.

Is it safe to assume that there will be a coat check at the Con? It will be freezing, and I don't want to have to carry my big coat around all day, and also thinking about bringing a second pair of shoes (I live in NY and depending on weather I might need warm boots just to get to the hotel.

Can I find out how many people the rooms where the panels are held can possibly hold? The schedule gives you an idea how many people want to go, but this is little help if I don't know how many people the room can fit. Do I have to skip every second session to secure a seat in a session I really want to attend or are the 10 minutes in between sessions enough?

Is there a complete schedule for the marketplace events anywhere? I've seen the one from Broadway records and the Publishing one, but missing an overview over what's happening there

Pootie2
#265BroadwayCon:
Posted: 1/20/16 at 1:19pm

Have you tried posting on their Facebook or contacting the help address? Someone above mentioned their responses were helpful, so this may be the best avenue: help@broadwaycon.com

_IrisTInkerbell
#266BroadwayCon:
Posted: 1/20/16 at 1:23pm

Not lately. I believe I sent them an email months ago when I trying to decide if I wanted to buy tickets when no scheduling whatsoever was announced (I asked if any panels would be announced before the last batch of tickets went on sale), and I didn't get a reply then. I but I can try again...

LaciePi
#267BroadwayCon:
Posted: 1/20/16 at 1:34pm

Those are good questions.  I emailed them about coat check yesterday and haven't received a response.

Based on my experience with other Cons, during registration, they will give you a brochure that shows the con layout & schedule.  Vendors might advertise their events in that brochure.  Otherwise, you learn about their promotions from their own advertising.

What day do you plan to arrive?  If Friday, it is 3 hours between registration opening and the first real panel.  You have time to scout the rooms for their capacity.  The MeetUps are going to be held in the rooms, so  they should all be open.    Maybe Hilton has posted a spec about their meeting rooms somewhere, but use this a general guideline because we won't know if the con's setup will decrease the number of chairs.  

Some Cons empty the room at the end of each panel to prevent people from monopolizing a seat all day.  We shall see if BroadwayCon does this.  

Based on other Cons, Saturday will be the busiest, followed by Friday.  Sunday will be the least busiest.  If a vendor is selling a limited edition something,  it is best to grab it on Friday because it will be out by Sunday.  

Another unknown factor until we show-up is popularity.  How many people are interested in that particular panel?  My prediction is Main Stage events will be very popular (Hamilton, Rent, opening ceremonies).   Any panel that has a favorite actor will probably be popular.  

It is always beneficial to have a buddy - somebody willing to hold your spot while you go get in another line.  If you are going solo, you will meet people in the initial lines or try to attend the meetup for solo attendees.  

I hope that helps a little.  I guess I'm saying some of it has to be played by ear because each Con and each day will be different. 

Let us know if you hear from them before Friday.  

Updated On: 1/20/16 at 01:34 PM

_IrisTInkerbell
#268BroadwayCon:
Posted: 1/20/16 at 3:18pm

Thanks for that! I'll only be at the Con on Saturday, as I both didn't want to spend the money for a full weekend pass and didn't want to take a day off work. I'm going by myself and will not be able to attend any of the meet-ups, since I'll only be there Saturday.(This was partially another communication problem on their side. I'm sure I'm not the only first-time Con goer, and I didn't even know meet-ups would happen when I bought my ticket for Saturday based on.... nothing.) But I'm sure I will meet people along the way on Saturday. I'll keep you posted if I hear back from them.

I have to admit that I almost didn't but a ticket because I felt their communication initially was SO terrible. For people without experience in Cons they provided zero help, and all my questions remained unanswered, no matter how politely I asked. I then complained about being ignored and then went unanswered as well. I know they didn't "need" me, there were selling out anyway, but I was still pretty annoyed.

LaciePi
#269BroadwayCon:
Posted: 1/20/16 at 3:49pm

If you just have the day pass, be aware you will have lower priority into the Main Stage seating.  VIP pass holders  have "preferred seating" meaning the first few rows will probably be reserved for them.  Then weekend pass holders have guaranteed seating.  The website says day passes only have "access" meaning you only get what's leftover, if any, from the other 2 groups.  You might want to prioritize and get in line early.  

Hopefully people will post their Friday experiences, so you will know what to expect.

Pootie2
#270BroadwayCon:
Posted: 1/20/16 at 4:55pm

Anthony Rapp held a short 15-minute-ish Q&A about BroadwayCon on Periscope: https://www.periscope.tv/w/1rmGPldkQzYGN

The video will be available for the next 20-something hours.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#271BroadwayCon:
Posted: 1/20/16 at 6:47pm

I have to say - I am SO excited for this weekend. I'm going in tomorrow night and meeting up with some people. Just very excited.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

_IrisTInkerbell
#272BroadwayCon:
Posted: 1/20/16 at 7:18pm

LaciePi said: "If you just have the day pass, be aware you will have lower priority into the Main Stage seating.  VIP pass holders  have "preferred seating" meaning the first few rows will probably be reserved for them.  Then weekend pass holders have guaranteed seating.  The website says day passes only have "access" meaning you only get what's leftover, if any, from the other 2 groups.  You might want to prioritize and get in line early."

I really only have one Main Stage Event on my schedule, and this shouldn't apply to the other panels, right? So that shouldn't be much of issue in my case. And the ticket description doesn't indicate priority seating for anyone for all the regular panels that I can see...

_IrisTInkerbell
#273BroadwayCon:
Posted: 1/20/16 at 7:34pm

Just went on the Hilton website to check room capacity (for seating, no idea if there might be additional standing room), if anyone else is interested:

Beekman: 240

Gramercy West: 450 (? bwaycon website says "west", the Hilton only has Gramercy A & B, or combined)

Murray Hill: 400 (assuming it's A&B combined)

Nassau: 250 (same)

Regent: 240

Sutton: 200-240 (depending which room, there are several called Sutton) 

All rooms are on the same floor (except for the Autograph/Photo booth rooms

Matchi Profile Photo
Matchi
#274BroadwayCon:
Posted: 1/20/16 at 9:09pm

On the sched.org schedule, at the bottom of the description for "The 2016 BroadwayCon Opening", it says this:

PLEASE NOTE: This program will also be simulcast in the Sutton Room. 

Does this make anyone think that they don't have enough room for everyone where the Main Stage is?  If so, this is going to be a sh** show.

"I don't think you'll ever be a kid again, kiddo."

Videos