News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews- Page 16

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#375CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/19/24 at 11:55am

I’d say Cabaret is one of the most advertised shows of the season around the city. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

MemorableUserName
#376CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/19/24 at 12:58pm

If anyone wants to see with show without Redmayne and/or at a more reasonable price, Monday nights are definitely the time to go. It's not just selling a lot slower; the prices are also lower, and dropped closer to the date. The show was also on TKTS Monday. Presumably it will be on future Mondays too. 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#377CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/19/24 at 1:02pm

stagepotato said: "Saw the show a few weeks ago. Bored throughout and still trying to understand the hype around it. The theatre is impressive and everyone’s very talented. It’s just a very boring show. I will give all my praise to Eddie Redmayne. To me, he saved me from leaving at intermission. He was fun to watch and made the show worth staying for. I’m glad I only paid $112 for my seat because if I paid anything more, I’d be extremely disappointed."

Cabaret? A very boring show? Cabaret????

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#378CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/19/24 at 1:08pm

I keep rewatching their Tony performance. At first I thought it was cringe and now I love it.  When‘s the last time a show was this heavily debated.  I think that’s amazing!  I hope it runs a very long time and I can’t wait to see who the replacements are going to be

MadsonMelo
#379CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/19/24 at 9:31pm

Next time I'll be in NYC, Eddie will be long gone from this production, as I wanna see the show, I hope the replacement is really great.

If they go through the West End routine with supporting actors from TV Shows, they won't last.

But again, they probably won't because the reception in NY was not the same as was in London.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#380CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/20/24 at 12:10pm

Cabaret? A very boring show? Cabaret????

It can be if you’ve seen it countless times and the production doesn’t do anything to captivate you. I was bored senseless back in the early 2000s with Molly Ringwald and Raul Esparza when they joined the original 1998 Broadway revival at Studio 54. My friends stayed at their table while I got up and went to walk around the lobby popping my head in occasionally to see what point the show was at. Both looked to be in 2 different shows and just took me out of it I couldn’t continue watching. 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#381CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/20/24 at 12:21pm

I think Florence Pugh would make an excellent Sally

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#382CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/20/24 at 1:14pm

Broadway Flash said: "I think Florence Pugh would make an excellent Sally"

And here is part of the problem with the stunt casting they want to do (and need to do) in order to cover their astronomical running costs: Florence Pugh is the type of star who would be a great get for them. She is an Oscar nominated actor with major appearances in two majorly popular franchises. They would surely be happy to have someone like her. BUT would an Oscar nominated actor with major appearances in two majorly popular franchises want to be a replacement (or second, third, fourth etc. replacement) in a Broadway show, where they won't get a cast recording and won't get any shot at a Tony? Unless they really want to shift focus and become an ongoing Broadway presence, or this particular show is a bucket list item for them....people of Pugh's Hollywood status will likely pass on this. And then you get the type of TV actors that London has recruited, who may be exceptionally talented, but do not have the name brand to sell tickets at the levels needed.

I'm fine with it puttering out after Redmayne leaves. Wider audiences are just now discovering his Pennywise interpretation of the role, but beyond his misguided Emcee, the entire production is just horrifically directed. Bebe and Steven are really the saving graces here and the only elements that kept me engaged and imbued their material with compelling characterizations and gravitas. It's not just the biggest misfire of the season, but the biggest misfire of the past several seasons, by a large margin.

KevinKlawitter
#383CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/20/24 at 2:05pm

I think someone at Seatgeek might have made a mistake...

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#384CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/20/24 at 7:32pm

At tonight’s performance. Gayle is out, because of course she is. Half the leads in shows I’ve seen this week were out. 

also, the lobby experience, pre show and entering the  theatre are just as useless and infuriating as ever. 

Shubert Alley Cat Profile Photo
Shubert Alley Cat
#385CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/21/24 at 7:19pm

Got am email today that Gayle is out for my performance tomorrow (Sat) evening.  Has she missed all week?  How is her standby/understudy?

JSquared2
#386CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/21/24 at 7:37pm

Menken Fan said: "At tonight’s performance. Gayle is out, because of course she is. Half the leads in shows I’ve seen this week were out.

also, the lobby experience, pre show and entering the theatre are just as useless and infuriating as ever.
"

Gee, you sound like fun! 

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#387CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 11:33am

II have a question. With shows like this which are very expensive tickets.; when Al lead us out for a scheduled performance usually, the tickets are cheaper. If you have purchased tickets to see the two star names and they are out, do you have any recourse to get the difference in money back? Last weeks performances without Eddie were available for 40% off at TKTS.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#388CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 11:40am

I've never heard of any theatre box office giving partial refunds in such an instance, only total refunds and giving up the tickets. It seems like it would be a difficult thing for a production to assess and would create a lot more trouble than it's worth.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 6/22/24 at 11:40 AM

MemorableUserName
#389CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 11:41am

I believe the only recourse would be to get a refund and then buy a cheaper ticket if you still want to see it. With dynamic pricing, there's no telling what the cheaper price would necessarily be for the seat you purchased for them to calculate any kind of price difference. Those Monday prices were constantly evolving. In the case of Eddie's Monday absence, it was scheduled and announced well in advance, so they normally wouldn't give you a refund for that, but since Gayle was also out, it wasn't scheduled, and she is above the title, you could probably get a refund based on that. 

denali.fire Profile Photo
denali.fire
#390CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 11:44am

So could Tveit be a possible Emcee after Redmayne leaves ?

To seek revenge may lead to hell yet everyone does it but seldom as well......

ElephantLoveMedley
#391CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 11:47am

denali.fire said: "So could Tveit be a possible Emcee after Redmayne leaves ?"

Maybe someday, but likely not this fall. Eddie finishes with Cabaret on September 14, and Aaron is set for his return in Moulin Rouge! through October 13.

I don't have any names to drop, but I've heard rumors that the next Emcee is supposedly even bigger than Eddie. Time shall tell!

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#392CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 11:52am

Once I got stuck with Benko instead of Lea.  I still wanted to see Beno as I was curious. I got a full refund at the box office and ran like a crazy person to TKTS. Paid very little and got a better seat. 

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

justherehanging
#393CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 8:08pm

She was also out on June 15, the night before the Tony’s 

an email went out that said she would be out for both performances that Saturday, it’s just disappointing. They put so much hype on it. They charged so much for the performance

disappointment how they’re handling things

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#394CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 8:30pm

justherehanging said: "She was also out on June 15, the night before the Tony’s

an email went out that said she would be out for both performances that Saturday, it’s just disappointing. They put so much hype on it. They charged so much for the performance

"

I mean, how else should they be handling it? They emailed you so you could make a decision before heading to the theater. That’s more than a lot of other productions. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#395CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 8:52pm

"

Genuinely dont understand the complaint. Gayle Rankin called out a few times. So? Yes, disappointing but happens to every performer and we have all been there. What do you want the production to do?

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#396CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/23/24 at 4:48pm

JSquared2 said: "Menken Fan said: "At tonight’s performance. Gayle is out, because of course she is. Half the leads in shows I’ve seen this week were out.

also, the lobby experience, pre show and entering the theatre are just as useless and infuriating as ever.
"

Gee, you sound like fun!

"

I really am. I just don't think this show and experience is.

The understudy I saw was Paige Smallwood.  I've always said Broadway understudies never disappoint and are often better than the "name" stars. However, she seemed a bit unsure in the role. I heard afterwards it was her first time on, and that she might not have had a put-in.  On her Insta, she noted that she made history as the first black Sally Bowles on Broadway. So that's awesome.

JSquared2
#397CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/23/24 at 5:06pm

"

Seriously?? What else could they have done to “handle it” to your satisfaction? Should they have grabbed Gayle by the hair off of her sickbed and shoved her on stage?

You want an ironclad guarantee that the advertised actors will be appearing, stick to going to a movie. 

Shubert Alley Cat Profile Photo
Shubert Alley Cat
#398CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/23/24 at 11:28pm

Menken Fan said: "JSquared2 said: "Menken Fan said: "At tonight’s performance. Gayle is out, because of course she is. Half the leads in shows I’ve seen this week were out.

"

Gee, you sound like fun!

"

I really am. I just don't think this show and experience is.

The understudy I saw was Paige Smallwood. I've always said Broadway understudies never disappoint and are often better than the "name" stars. However, she seemed a bit unsure in the role. I heard afterwards it was her first time on, and that she might not have had a put-in. On her Insta, she noted that she made history as the first black Sally Bowles on Broadway. So that's awesome.
"

Saw Paige Smallwood as Sally on Saturday evening.  Sadly I felt she was quite poor and just had no idea of the character at all.  The show itself was mid.  I did enjoy some of the staging moments, Eddie’s weirdness was hit and miss, and Bebe and Skybell were absolutely the highlights.

EvanstonDad
#399CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
Posted: 6/26/24 at 9:54am

I know I'm super late to the party here, but I've been traveling a lot lately and wasn't able to chime in back when the Tonys aired.

That Eddie Redmayne performance was jaw droppingly weird and off putting. I could not watch two hours of that. I'd already had a bad reaction to the Redmayne/Buckley London cast recording -- couldn't even get through it -- but seeing Redmayne's physical performance was the nail in the coffin of my interest in this show.

Videos