News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009- Page 3

GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009

cglaid Profile Photo
cglaid
#50re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 8:05pm

How early do you think people will start lining up for rush on this one? I for one wouldn't mind waiting for a few hours to get tickets!!

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#51re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 8:16pm

You want me to back up my opinion? Okay. Gypsy is obviously a great show, but there was nothing outstanding about the production. Mr. Laurents seems to have lost his touch (if he ever had it) because the direction and staging was like community theatre. The cast was mediocre, with the exception of Boyd Gaines and Alison Fraser.

Dollypop
#52re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 8:18pm

This is the coal in my stocking I just don't need.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

whatever2
#53re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 8:19pm

i KNEW something was up when the discount codes expiring jan 4th were replaced with discount codes expiring january 18th ...

rob, this had better be true! i really didn't have time to see this til feb, but now had to scramble to get tickets this weekend. the good news is: i scored orchestra aisle seats for this sun's matinee using the discount code -- seats G/2-4 (i think where patti sings???) ... whoo-hoo!!!

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

Zeitoujo
#54re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 8:20pm

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH & I had tix to the final performance. So sad this is closing early!

=(

"Those You've Known And Lost Still Walk Behind You"-Spring Awakening

TimeSquare3 Profile Photo
TimeSquare3
#55re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 8:21pm

The TONYS beg to differ with you E3.

<<-- Help save Terminator: SCC
"The gay one?" -- Marissa Jaret Winokur on the Jonas Brothers.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#56re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 8:30pm

I'll be there!

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#57re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 8:30pm

The Tonys beg to differ with me on lots of things.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#58re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 8:31pm

Date is on TDF!!

( just breezed thru thread--- not sure of anyone mentioned)

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#59re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 8:33pm

This really breaks my heart. Even though I've seen it twice, a huge part of my upcoming trip to New York was reliant on seeing Gypsy a number of times. I was even planning on going to the final show. Oh well. I'm glad it had the nice run and the plethora of accolades that it did. Still though, mucho frown face.

DrTheatre Profile Photo
DrTheatre
#60re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 8:48pm

Why is GYPSY closing early on January 11th? Is it closing early on any other day. Sorry...I read it as one sentence...just like when LUPONE GYPSY came out...I was like, "what is LUPONE GYPSY?"!

Maybe they should have wrote like this: "Gypsy to close early---January 11th, 2009"!

HEHEHEH...sorry bored

"In the U.S.A. You can have your say, You can set you goals And seize the day, You've been given the freedom To work your way To the head of the line- To the head of the line!" ---Stephen Sondheim

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#61re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 8:52pm

What a shame. I was hoping to be able to catch it before it closed in March but I guess that won't happen now. I hope it'll still be filmed for PBS.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

kooky
#62re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 8:57pm

R A T S !

HBBrock
#63re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 9:16pm

Just bought my ticket for Jan 11th on TDF. This will be my first time seeing Patti LuPone AND Gypsy.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#64re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 9:24pm

It is indeed a sad day in Broadway land. The economic Grinch has decided to steal our "Gypsy" too soon. Well, I can think of one good thing that will come about from this closure... Miss Patti can take a well-deserved rest before she undergoes her concert shows in March. from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

fflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
#65re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 9:24pm

Patti LuPone is second-rate and always will be contrary to what nerdy Andrew Gans says ad nauseum about this 'multi-talented diva'. If she were giving the performance of a lifetime the show would not close early.

The only interesting element of the show is its supporting cast with "If Mamma Was Married" the show's peak. Any show that says it's great with a fake dog and a fake lamb can go bump themselves with trumpets. Patti is loud and vulgar; Ethel had more going on than people gave her credit for. I am sure Patti's book publisher is freaking out as well.

Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#66re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 9:25pm

Great, now I am under a great dilemma. I will be in the city this coming week, and had other plans already, which I can easily cancel. Or, I could try and get out of work for the 11th, as I already am seeing Spamalot. Tough decision.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Broadwayboy2631 Profile Photo
Broadwayboy2631
#67re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 9:33pm

Great, I'm going to go jump off a bridge now.

bluesoprano Profile Photo
bluesoprano
#68re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 9:37pm

I am so sad to hear this news. But I do understand with the way the financial world is right now the producers and the partners made a good choice.

It was a great show with a great cast that shall be missed!

Parks
#69re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 9:38pm

Augh, fruck. I bought my tickets for 3/1. I bought tickets tonight for the new closing show. I was supposed to leave Dallas on the 10th to come back to New York on the 12th--and I called my friend who I am making the trip up here with and she has a concert in Dallas to go to on the 9th at night... so either I will have to sell my tickets or we are leaving right after her concert and driving 25 hours straight to NY... :-/

Realistically, I don't think I will be attending the closing show re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009. So sad.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#70re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 9:39pm

Okay, so I have decided to try and get student rush tickets for Thursday. Then I will cancel my other plans if I can. I don't need front row seats.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

RyToast1
#71re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 9:49pm

I'm speechless. I will be wearing black tomorrow.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#72re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 9:53pm

"You want me to back up my opinion? Okay. Gypsy is obviously a great show, but there was nothing outstanding about the production. Mr. Laurents seems to have lost his touch (if he ever had it) because the direction and staging was like community theatre. The cast was mediocre, with the exception of Boyd Gaines and Alison Fraser."

Unlike Wicked - which is third rate in everything : script, score and production..

bertandrew2 Profile Photo
bertandrew2
#73re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 9:55pm

YES! THERE IS A SANTA CLAUS!

jane915 Profile Photo
jane915
#74re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 9:55pm

aw rats. guess i'll have to see it a 6th time before it closes. i really hope they film this show.

Videos