News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009- Page 5

GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009

SweeneyPhanatic
#100re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 12:17am

Out of curiosity: how is the view from row 7? I've heard the stage is kinda high, and that the first row is somewhat obstructed by this, but I'd imagine the sight line is pretty clear from my spot...right? ...maybe...

-- SDG

kate2
#101re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 12:31am

For some reason, I didn't see this coming. I guess it was just wishful thinking that a show wouldn't close early!

The 7th row has a great view no matter what side you're on. Enjoy!

Q
#102re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 1:18am

The show may close, but those giant egos will live on.

And on and on and . . .

Brick
#103re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 1:21am

The revival wasn't a financial success but it seems pretty certain History will judge it as the correction revival to Mendes' 2003 production, as Laurents wanted it. And had it completed it's run with Patti's contract, it would have been considered a success, if not a hit.

That said, the reason for the premature closure is quite obvious. 6 other shows are closing or have closed. We're in the second Great Depression and it's yet to hit its worst.

I'm mainly disappointed this probably has ended any plans to record the production. Make that very disappointed.

sleepyguy1717
#104re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 1:47am

I don't really understand the "business" side of Broadway (I don't really understand the business side of anything but good, old American prositution) but couldn't shows just lower their ticket prices? Surely more people would want to go if they had cheaper prices. I know I would. Plus, the not-so-typical theater goer would be more inclined to go to a show with cheap tickets.

Or maybe I'm just being stupid. ^^;

I want to apologize for some offensive messages posted on this board under my name. The night 0f 12-15-08 I did not have internet access, and someone had used my name to post something offensive. My avatar was also changed. I dont' know what else was posted, or if anyone recieved bad PMs, but I want to apologize for that. I've changed my password, and even though I was not the one posting these messages it still needed to be corrected.

A Director
#105re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 1:48am

Sometimes, Christmas Wishes come true.

Q
#106re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 2:08am

". . . it seems pretty certain History will judge it as the correction revival to Mendes' 2003 production"

Just to be clear, I'm sure you mean it is clear to YOU.

Because I'm SURE you realize that it's an opinion, and some might differ from yours.

And while you might consider your own opinion to be the defacto reality, it IS still just your opinion.

Parks
#107re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 2:10am

What is the deal with people "wishing" the show to close. That is not cool to joke about. I hate to sound like everyone else on this board, but why wish hundreds of people out of their jobs--especially in such tough times like now? Sure, Patti will always get work--but I'm sure there are people with the production who will be out of a job for some time. Wishing people to not have jobs is not something to joke about.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

binau Profile Photo
binau
#108re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 2:12am

I'm sick of people blaming the 'economy'. I'm sure it had some effect, but IMO the 'real' reason the show closed was because it was revived way too early. I'm glad it was, but I'm just saying as a business decision I don't think it was a good idea.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Q
#109re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 2:12am

"Sure, Patti will always get work"

I just have to laugh.

And I'm certain she would, as well.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#110re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 2:29am

"History will judge it as the correction revival to Mendes' 2003 production, as Laurents wanted it."

Here I was thinking I was wrong to say that this production is a slap in the face to the previous one, but statements like that make me think that maybe I wasn't so wrong after all. It's all just a matter of opinion. I think Mendes' production was good as a production can get. The cast, direction, staging, choreography, orchestrations, etc. couldn't have been better. If they were going to bring Gypsy back so soon, the new production should have been at least as good as the previous one, not a huge step down. Again, just my opinion.
Updated On: 12/15/08 at 02:29 AM

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#111re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 2:54am

I honestly don't think that lowering ticket prices would help or do much, unfortunately. There is just so much that goes into these productions that nobody would make any money at all. Would it help to fill theaters? Maybe. But, paying for the theater to keep the show running takes a huge chunk. I mean, if you couldn't afford to stay in your home, wouldn't you look for something cheaper?

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#112re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 6:11am

Opinions or no opinions.

The reviews speak for themselves.

This production was a huge step up from the 2003 revival.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#113re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 7:05am

are we really still having this argument?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

AStack75 Profile Photo
AStack75
#114re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 8:55am

This sucks. I had Row B Center Orch for March 1st. Do I need to do anything to get a refund or do they just do that automatically?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#115re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 10:13am

qolbinau, the producer has cited the economic times for the closing.

"Though we originally announced that GYPSY would play its final performance on March 1, 2009, due to these uncertain financial times my partners and I have made the difficult decision to close instead on January 11, 2009" said producer Roger Berlind.

People are spending less money on theater, among other things. Not to be nasty, but turn on the news...we are in a recession. And will most likely be for a while.

Just give the world Love.

AStack75 Profile Photo
AStack75
#116re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 10:21am

For those who had tickets for any shows between Jan 12th and March 1st, call Telecharge. You will need to send back your original tickets to them in order to get a refund.

AStack75 Profile Photo
AStack75
#117re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009

triple post. Updated On: 12/15/08 at 10:21 AM

AStack75 Profile Photo
AStack75
#118re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009

. Updated On: 12/15/08 at 10:21 AM

philcrosby
#119re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 11:28am

AStack, thanks for the info ... mine were for Feb 12.

Brick
#120re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 11:37am

Are we still having this argument indeed!

When I say History will view it that way, I mean the press and the industry. Not you. Or me. There are many, many shows which I have despised that have gone down as not only financial hits but huge success stories (WICKED, for one). It doesn't make them any less either. Whether you liked the production or not, for the first time for any production of GYPSY, all three leads won Tonys. And the production received rave reviews. That is the press and the industry saying it is a stellar revival. End of discussion.

And the economy excuse isn't an excuse darling. I don't know how much old money you live off of, but you'd have to be the first person I know who isn't feeling a big crunch. And the first industries to take a hit are retail and entertainment. GYPSY had fine numbers until about a month ago, when the reality of the *depression set in. I was shocked as anyone to see GYPSY do so well so oon after the last revival. But had their not been an audience, it wouldn't have ran 3 months. The St. James is a big house...

Fosse76
#121re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 12:00pm

"I don't know how much old money you live off of, but you'd have to be the first person I know who isn't feeling a big crunch."

I am by no means rich, nor do I live off of "old money." However, the state of the economy isn't having any noticeable effect on my lifestyle. Many of the shows that have announced closings were well on their way out. I think of the announced shows, only Hairspray and Spamalot would have pulled through under better economic circumstances. The others would have closed by March easily.

Jack King
#122re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 12:18pm

repy to sleepyguy. :) I have always wondered also why this biz or any other biz doesn't simply lower their prices? That applies to the housing market, which finally has had to lower their inflated prices, so it certainly has to apply to the high bux seats for Broadway plays.

Like my uncles say, "Only a fool buys full retail."

Having said that, I'll repeat what I said a while ago. We of the great general public have learned from the cradle to not pay list price. Heck! That's why there are a plethora of ticket companies that would love to--and will--sell us a lower priced ticket. So the wife and I saw Gypsy this last fall for $50 a ticket.

It's ye olde consumer game of "shopping around." :)

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#123re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 12:50pm

This is horrid news. There was never much chance I was going to be able to get up there and see it, but there was always the hope at the back of my mind. re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009 I do hope they film it.

ChristopherDurangFan
#124re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 1:31pm

Any possible chance of it extending a week? as in til January 18th? They do that once in a while, right?

Videos