News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009- Page 4

GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009

ThankstoPhantom
#75re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 9:58pm

I never thought Patti LuPone could live up to her hype...and then I saw this outstanding production....it didn't need real animals and full-blown sets....The actors, because they were all wonderful, filled in the blanks of the environment.

LuPone is giving the performance of a lifetime...but the artistic climate of this nation is very different from what it once was. Patti LuPone is famous within our theatrical world AND is a name recognized for a TV series she appeared in 16 years ago... General America does not know that much about her anymore...not like they did with Ethel Merman, Mary Martin, et cetera.

This is heartbreaking... I hope the outstanding production is preserved.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
Updated On: 12/14/08 at 09:58 PM

bertandrew2 Profile Photo
bertandrew2
#76re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 10:00pm

Don't worry. They will announce another revival in a month or two.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#77re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009

So sad. re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#78re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009

Elphaba3,

I agree with almost everything you said except I think the only exception in this production is Laura Bennatti's performance.

munyfan
#79re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 10:03pm

"The cast was mediocre, with the exception of Boyd Gaines and Alison Fraser."

Elphaba3, while you are entitled you your own opinion... HOW IS THAT YOUR OPINION? Laura Benanti almost stole the show from the first time she sang, in "Little Lamb." I had second row seats right in front of her, and it was so moving watching the tears roll down her face. By far the best Louise I have ever seen. She added so much to the role. and of course, Patti... How can you doubt she was great in the role? she was definitely NOT mediocre. She was incredible.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#80re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 10:06pm

Elphaba3, your opinions make me laugh.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#81re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 10:12pm

WBaF, was this your reaction?

re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Wanna Be A Foster
#82re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 10:13pm

Yes, ma'am!

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

TimeSquare3 Profile Photo
TimeSquare3
#83re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 10:14pm

She's just bitter because Bernadette didn't get the TONY.

<<-- Help save Terminator: SCC
"The gay one?" -- Marissa Jaret Winokur on the Jonas Brothers.

jennyish Profile Photo
jennyish
#84re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 10:43pm

So there's going to be rush, right?

PLEASE TELL ME THERE WILL BE RUSH.

I chose, and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not.

Broadway Baby 2
#85re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 10:59pm

Maybe if they had a cherry picker to hoist Patti up in the air during Everythings Coming Up Roses, it would have been less mediocre for you Elphaba3. LMAO

TimeSquare3
#86re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 11:01pm

Perhaps if Patti raised from the stage with intense lighting for Rose's Turn.

That actually sounds pretty cool.

Broadway Baby 2
#87re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 11:08pm

Yeah. Who needs real talent when you have multi million dollar special effects.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#88re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 11:16pm

No Hate, but I just hope Laurents does better with
WEST SIDE STORY. and it doesn't flop as this GYPSY has.
Best of Luck to the cast and crew.

TimeSquare3
#89re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 11:20pm

Gypsy was going to close before recouping either way.

TimeSquare3
#90re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 11:28pm

The discount is only until the 4th now.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#91re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 11:32pm

Curtain, I don't think the show "flopped". It is another causualty of the economy.

Thanks...I was not a fan of Patti's. When I saw the Sweeney revival I was just not looking forward to her Ms. Lovett. She won me over and I realized just how much of a powerhouse she is.

Just give the world Love.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#92re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 11:38pm

Ha, you guys are funny. For the record, I don't think Wicked is all that spectacular anymore. I still like and it will always have a very special place in my heart, but outgrew the fangirl phase a couple years ago. As for Ms. Benanti, I have no idea why everyone loved her performance so much. She lacked subtlety, which essential for Louise. Am I still bitter about Bernadette not winning the Tony? Hell yes. Does that have anything to do with my feelings about the current Gypsy. No. I'm not that petty. I'm sorry that people will lose their jobs when it closes and I do feel bad for the fans who planned to see it between January 11 and March 1, but aside from that, "I couldn't be happier." re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Updated On: 12/14/08 at 11:38 PM

Wanna Be A Foster
#93re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 11:46pm

Sweetie, do I really need to pull up the post from when this GYPSY revival was announced and you said, "What a slap in the face to Bernadette!"

-Kad

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#94re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/14/08 at 11:59pm

Touche. In retrospect, my earlier comment was ignorant. Didn't the Les Mis revival open three years after the original production closed? I guess it's the same thing with Gypsy. They didn't want to keep a great show away from Broadway.

TimeSquare3
#95re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 12:01am

There's a difference between the Les Miz & Gypsy revival. Gypsy was actually good.

SweeneyPhanatic
#96re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 12:04am

I went ape**** when I saw this. Not only did I recently get screwed out of seeing the show this coming weekend, but now my time limit to see the show was shortened!

...so I just bought my Orchestra Row F seat for the Thursday night before it closes. I feel so much better now. I don't care if I have to stay in the nastiest hotel for a night, I WILL see this show.

Plus I just bought a ticket...how can I NOT see it?

-- SDG

ThankstoPhantom
#97re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 12:05am

You will not be disappointed, Phanatic...it is spectacular.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

bk
#98re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 12:07am

You really must stop blaming the economy for every bad thing that happens. The reason this Gypsy is closing is simple - more than half the house is empty at every performance. It's not going to get better, so the producers are doing the fiscally responsible thing, as well they should. Once the Patti fans and theater fans saw this, that was it - it's the third revival in fifteen years and that is two revivals too many, in terms of a show, any show, being able to sustain business.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#99re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 12:07am

This revival may have been a financial flop (and wasn't Benadettes a financial flop too?) But this was a big critical success, with those reviews and 3 Tonys. And other awards.

The Patti/Gypsy haters are still hating and always will.

Videos