News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Have you ever...

Color and Light
#25re: Have you ever...
Posted: 7/30/06 at 5:49am

Christopher Sieber in Beauty and the Beast is one that sticks out to me.

Stop looking at my charisma.

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#26re: Have you ever...
Posted: 7/30/06 at 8:08am

I saw Marissa Jaret Winokur, Jen Cody and (I think) Hunter Foster in Grease.

Elphaba43
#27re: Have you ever...
Posted: 7/30/06 at 9:53am

I was looking through my Peter Pan playbill and I saw Patrick Wilson in the section where the actors suggest restaurants. I was sitting there saying "oh my gosh"

I am a bagel on a plateful of onion rolls. If you know what I'm talking about, good. If you don't, you're on your own!

Stitch_Stalker Profile Photo
Stitch_Stalker
#28re: Have you ever...
Posted: 7/30/06 at 10:07am

Well, this is a tad different-but I was both a Princess Bride and a Broadway fan for YEARS without ever realizing that Mandy Patinkin played Indigo Montoya...

Colle
#29re: Have you ever...
Posted: 7/30/06 at 10:27am

I saw Lalaine as young Cosette in "Les Miserables," and she has become somewhat famous since then.

AuditioningWaitress
#30re: Have you ever...
Posted: 7/30/06 at 11:35am

I saw Lacey Chabert in LES MIS and THE SECRET GARDEN (with Roger Bart) way back when.

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#31re: Have you ever...
Posted: 7/30/06 at 11:39am

Felicia Finley as Evita. Absolutely Phenominal.

Ashley Brown in On the Record.

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#32re: Have you ever...
Posted: 7/30/06 at 12:18pm

I opened a playbill for a London show to realize that it's directd by Phillip Seymore Hoffamn

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

kaboodles041 Profile Photo
kaboodles041
#33re: Have you ever...
Posted: 7/30/06 at 12:47pm

Marc Anthony in The Capeman (yes I thought he was adorable).

Arghh! Grammar pet peeve #1: your vs you're. "Your" is a possessive pronoun. "You're" is the contraction of "you are." <<

Mattbrain
#34re: Have you ever...
Posted: 7/30/06 at 1:51pm

My first Broadway show was Beauty and the Beast in 1996. The cast included Kerry Butler and Marc Kudisch. I was first aware of Kerry's work in Hairspray and Little Shop of Horrors. I saw Marc Kudisch in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang shortly after he lost the Tony to Dan Fogler. Before I went to the show, I opened up the program and saw both of their names. I thought to myself, "Oh, c'mon!" I was so ticked off that I saw these two great performers and didn't even know it.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

#35re: Have you ever...
Posted: 7/30/06 at 3:42pm

I saw Gary Beach in "...Forum" at the Sacramento Music Circus when I was too young to get all of the jokes. I think i was 12 years old. I always remembered his name, and then when I heard he was doing "Producers," I got so excited.

Same with Sutton Foster, whom I always remembered after seeing her in "Les Mis" on tour. I knew she would go somewhere so I always kept track of her name. Two years later... "Millie."

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#36re: Have you ever...
Posted: 7/30/06 at 3:45pm

My operatic society did 'Oklahoma!' quite a few years ago now, and in preparation, they went to see the RNT production in London. This was a matter of weeks before I joined and to this day I'm STILL ticked off they all saw Hugh Jackman on stage and I didn't. I did pick up the VHS and CD of that production though, and was already a massive Jackman fangirl by the time 'X-Men' rolled around, so I think I get half a point there maybe? ^_^;;

Yankeefan007
#37re: Have you ever...
Posted: 7/30/06 at 3:47pm

Sutton Foster in Scarlet Pimpernel
Kerry Butler in Beauty and the Beast
Kristen Chenoweth, Roger Bart, Anthony Rapp, BD Wong in Charlie Brown
Michael Cerveris, David Garrison, Victoria Clark in Titanic
Marissa Winokur, Jen Cody, Hunter Foster in Grease
Megan Mullally in Grease
Jenn Gambatese & Chester Gregory in Hairspray
Gamby, again, in Frog & Toad

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#38re: Have you ever...
Posted: 7/30/06 at 6:41pm

I saw Roger Bart as Dickon in "The Secret Garden" on tour. I also saw Deidre Goodwin in the first national tour of "Chicago." I also saw R. Lachanze Sapp as one of the Stepp Sisters in the first national tour of "Dreamgirls" in 1986. Is this LaChanze of "The Color Purple"?

mandy2loveRB
#39re: Have you ever...
Posted: 7/31/06 at 10:12am

David Hyde Pierce as an understudy for Bill Irwin in Waiting for Godot.

allyk Profile Photo
allyk
#40re: Have you ever...
Posted: 7/31/06 at 10:44am

Jenn Gambatese and Gavin Creel in Fame
Beth Leavel in 42nd Street
Marc Kudisch and Gary Beach in Beauty and the Beast
Jose Llana in The King and I
And possibly Sutton Foster in Grease, not sure about that one, though

BDrischBDemented
#41re: Have you ever...
Posted: 7/31/06 at 2:46pm

This one is pretty "Well, duh" but I saw George Hearn as the Wizard in "Wicked" without realizing he was the guy on the Sweeney Todd video. Had I known that, I might have enjoyed "Wicked" more.

Well, not really.

"Your lyrics lack subtlety! You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!"

song_mage31
#42re: Have you ever...
Posted: 7/31/06 at 4:08pm

I second Stitch about not realizing that Inigo was Mandy Patinkin...but it was a fun realization!

umm, I don't know if this counts, but I saw all sorts of CCM kids (Ashley Brown, Ben Magnuson) now on Broadway in college shows.

mrsparker
#43re: Have you ever...
Posted: 7/31/06 at 4:35pm

I have a Playbill from a touring production of Fiddler with Theodore Bikel that I saw when I was on a trip to Hawaii with my parents in 1969 (I was 10 and have every program and every Playbill from every show I've seen from then on). Right there in the cast bios and photos is a very young Judy Kaye as Hodel.

Also I have my Playbill from Barnum from '73 or '74 with Glenn Close as Barnum's wife, Charity.

Criticism is prejudice made plausible. -- H.L. Mencken

Gingersnap Profile Photo
Gingersnap
#44re: Have you ever...
Posted: 7/31/06 at 6:01pm

"I second Stitch about not realizing that Inigo was Mandy Patinkin...but it was a fun realization!"

I'll be the maverick here, then. When my best friend and I went to see "The Princess Bride," we freaked out the rest of our group. We were almost bouncing out of our seats and trying not to squeal something about "the guy from Evita."

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

evitakita
#45re: Have you ever...
Posted: 8/1/06 at 1:44am

I saw Sutton Foster as Eponine when the Les Mis tour came to Amarillo, TX. Good times. :)

jam_man
#46re: Have you ever...
Posted: 8/1/06 at 2:08am

I usually don't have that happen to me, since I keep a good mental record of who I've seen. The only people I've seen of note were mostly "of note" at the time of my seeing them, and if I didn't know before, I found in the Playbill (I'm an avid reader of my Playbills). That is, except for Ashley Brown in On the Record (and I remembered her name, she was the only good thing) and Sara Ramirez, which may not count, since that was in Spamalot, it was just the 3rd preview in Chicago.

However, when I later got the Forbidden Broadway CDs, I found out that Michael McGrath was on a couple of them. Does that count?

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!
Updated On: 8/1/06 at 02:08 AM

pandajen14 Profile Photo
pandajen14
#47re: Have you ever...
Posted: 8/1/06 at 5:57am

I saw the original cast of BatB when I was about 8. It was my first Broadway show, and looking back I realize I probably saw Gary Beach, Terrance Man, Susan Egan...

"Writing should be easy, like a monkey driving a speedboat..." -[title of show] "I'm tired of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and meet up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#48re: Have you ever...
Posted: 8/1/06 at 6:29am

I didn't see him perform, but the first time I saw RENT on tour, Matt Caplan was understudying for Mark. Raise your hand if you're suprised.

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

Phantom487
#49re: Have you ever...
Posted: 8/1/06 at 5:45pm

Kelli O'Hara as Christine in a regional dinner theatre production of the Kopit/Yeston "Phantom" that I saw years ago...

Videos