News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 126

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

Starship
#3126Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/7/14 at 5:53pm

Honestly, the 30-second spot was better put together than the final trailer. Obsessed!!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3127Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/7/14 at 8:21pm

LOL. I love Youtube comments.

The effects look great, the makeup looks great... agh, but the music. I'm not on-principle opposed to musicals. But yikes, that opening chorus sounds like something from a High School play. And Meryl Streep (?!!) doesn't characterize her singing when made up as an ugly old hag? The music ALL sounded like it ruins the whole.

That's just judging on this snippet, of course.?

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#3128Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/7/14 at 8:32pm

I'm actually not at all surprised by that comment, LJay. "Stay With Me" is instantly emotionally resonant - it's just such an exquisite song - you don't need the full context to appreciate it and I think it's one of the reasons it works so well in the second half of the trailer. I would not say the same is true of the title song/prologue. It's so sing-songy and nursery rhyme'ish. I know that's obviously intentional. And I know that it's deceptively simple. I get that. In the context of the show, when you hear it, it's enormously effective. But hearing just a snippet of it, out of context, it probably seems - how do I put this? - less than sophisticated. That tiny snippet doesn't allow you to appreciate the sly wit and subtle shades of darkness that a full performance of the song does. In other words, I don't think it's effective out of its full context. But, it's the title song, I guess you have to use it.

Updated On: 11/7/14 at 08:32 PM

Wildcard
#3129Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/7/14 at 8:37pm

The general population is funny about musicals anyway. They complain that they don't understand why people would sing spontaneously yet they go gaga over a man in an iron suit or a scientist who turns green when he's angry.

J_Jammer Profile Photo
J_Jammer
#3130Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/7/14 at 11:28pm

People are for entertainment. Entertain and people will watch. Singing or not.

It's not just Marvel (who has saved Hollywood from its own self destruction).

beautywickedlover
#3131Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/14 at 12:01am

Loved the commercial. Lilla Crawford's "Into the Woods to Grandmother's house" was spot-on.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#3132Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/14 at 1:26am

I recall asking a friend if he had seen the SWEENEY TODD movie and his response was something along the lines of "it was pretty good, but it would have been better without the pesky songs."

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#3133Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/14 at 4:04am

Yeah, I had a friend who said that Sweeney Todd would have been so much better if Danny Elfman had done the music. She's dead now.

Showface
#3134Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/14 at 5:14pm

Wow, I really liked that TV Spot!

Lila Crawford sounds really good!

And, the main highlight of the spot was the glimpses we got of Last Midnight! The effects for that scene look great. And, it seems from what we've seen on that specific part, we got a glimpse of when Meryl shushed them. And, it seems she's singing on top of a hill the ground created (?) and it seems like it's right around the part she's singing "And Booooom CRUNCH!". A glimpse of this was in the full trailer also.

Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

Starship
#3135Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/14 at 5:19pm

The snippet of the Witch on the mountain looked amazing. I watched that specific part a few times because it looked incredible. I'm excited people!!

Showface
#3136Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/14 at 5:19pm

Also, the official Disney awards campaign page for this film is up!

http://waltdisneystudiosawards.com/#/into-the-woods

They are campaigning the movie in the following categories:

BEST PICTURE
John DeLuca, p.g.a.
Rob Marshall, p.g.a.
Marc Platt, p.g.a.
BEST DIRECTOR

Rob Marshall

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
James Lapine
Based on the Musical by
Stephen Sondheim and
James Lapine
Music and Lyrics by
Stephen Sondheim

BEST ACTOR
James Corden

BEST ACTRESS
Emily Blunt

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Chris Pine
Johnny Depp

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Meryl Streep
Anna Kendrick

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Dion Beebe, ACS, ASC
BEST FILM EDITING
Wyatt Smith

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
Production Designer
Dennis Gassner
Set Decorator
Anna Pinnock

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
Colleen Atwood

BEST MAKEUP & HAIRSTYLING
Peter Swords King
J. Roy Helland

BEST SOUND MIXING
Mike Prestwood Smith
Michael Keller
John Casali

BEST SOUND EDITING
Renée Tondelli
Blake Leyh

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
Matt Johnson
Stefano Pepin
Christian Irles

mFabila
#3137Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/14 at 5:52pm

Guess that means the new song won't be in the credits.

jimmycurry01
#3138Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/14 at 6:09pm

I don't think a new song titled "She'll be Back," which is likely linked to a very specific moment in the film, would be a very good song to play over the credits anyway.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#3139Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/14 at 6:17pm

A tiny bit surprised that the new song is not in consideration, but yet after the new song "Suddenly" from the LES MISERABLES movie came and how much a lot of fans hated that song for slowing down the film; I guess I can see why "She'll Be Back" is not in the film at all.

But any new Sondheim song is still interesting to listen. In the end I'm glad that Disney is caring about this film for awards consideration.

Updated On: 11/8/14 at 06:17 PM

Starship
#3140Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/14 at 6:35pm

Pretty sure Josh Groban is doing the song for the credits.

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#3141Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/14 at 6:37pm

Is there any recording of "Rainbows" online? Someone posted it months ago but I can't find it anymore.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#3142Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/14 at 8:37pm

^If you have Spotify,
It's on the Marry Me A Little new cast recording with Lauren Molina.

Mrtrobz
#3143Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/14 at 8:48pm

I think Interstellar is going to eclipse most of this award season's competition, I hope there's some chance left for Into the Woods.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#3144Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/14 at 8:53pm

She's dead now.

I'm your alibi baby- No Worries!

Showface
#3145Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/14 at 8:57pm

I think ITW may beat Interstellar or "eclipse" in some noms!

Costume Design
Hair and Makeup
Sound Mixing (I hear it wasn't that good for Interstellar)

Also, as far as acting noms Woods' main noms go in the actress categories where it's best bet is Ms. Streep in supporting (for the Oscars), and Streep and Blunt (maybe) for Best Actress C/M, where Interstellar would not be a threat...

ITW is a big threat this season, many Awards Season predictiors and forecasters are thinking ITW may do well...so we shall see

@ShakinBaconGirl
http://milkywhiteismybestfriend.tumblr.com/post/56434513920/i-actually-did-like-it-though-a-bit-awkward-at

Updated On: 11/8/14 at 08:57 PM

Mrtrobz
#3146Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/14 at 9:31pm

I hope your right. I want all movie musicals out there to have a chance to thrive and be successful so we get more. :)

Showface
#3147Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/14 at 9:48pm

From someone who saw screening on another forum (Awards Watch Forum):

"Well, here Blunt is the clear lead and she nails it. So does Streep. But, for me, some of the most enjoyment came from watching Tracey Ullman, maybe because I haven't seen her around lately, but she is marvelous in this. Also, it is quite fitting and appropriate that they got kids (so I hope people stop complaining about it) to play Riding Hood and Jack-they do something amazingly touching in this movie that they otherwise could not have done if they were older. (Will not give details-but it is my favorite scene in the movie)

Oh, and we obviously heard Streep sing in the past, but she is so much better here!"

Now, the scene regarding Red and Jack the poster above (msubio) mentioned is obviously No One is Alone (I think...)

@Starship
SAME! I've been pausing it over and over again!! I'm curious as to what lyric she is singing...it seems like she's really belting about a long note, so I'm wondering if it's the "LAAAST", or the "BOOOM", or the "CRUUUNCH!" I'm really excited and the cast sounds wonderful...I was very pleased from what I've heard from Emily Blunt!

"I hope your right. I want all movie musicals out there to have a chance to thrive and be successful so we get more. :)"

Don't we all! Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#3148Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/14 at 9:49pm

Thank you much for the link, Showface. But I caution you to not buy too much into what the "award predictors" are saying. The critics have not reviewed the film yet and many have not seen the finished product. Currently it's not really in the running to get one of the 10 spots for the Academy Awards, but who knows after people actually see it. But anyway, thanks for the link :)

Showface
#3149Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/14 at 9:53pm

You are welcome! Also, no one's really predicting it for BP, but for the tech and art noms (Costume, Production, etc.) based on what we have seen.

TBH, I don't see TW getting a BP nom; I may LOVE it, but the show IMO, is an accquired taste. When ITW first premiered it got very negative reviews....I hope the same does not happen for the film, just because some people "don't get it"

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!

Videos