News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 127

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#3150Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/27/13 at 11:09pm

>> PRS - How do you undo the strikethrough?!?

Get the Union to negotiate.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#3151Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/27/13 at 11:11pm

I like how Derek had a better arc in the last two hours than Karen did the whole season

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#3152Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/27/13 at 11:22pm

1,000,000 views. lol.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#3153Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/27/13 at 11:47pm

There's some good stuff in that AC Club review BortalBoy posted. "The whole thing feels like it’s taking place in a Holiday Inn ballroom. The characters seem to constantly be in every single place at all times" made me laugh!

Also, this.

What I was most intrigued by was the idea of Tom and Julia writing a movie musical. That could have been a fun storyline for season three, and it might have taken them away from New York and all of the other characters, who could be killed by a monster attack or something. (Derek and Ivy survive because they’re in a plane high above the city.)

I think we should recut Smash into a six episode minseries about Ivy.

Updated On: 5/27/13 at 11:47 PM

FindingNamo
#3154Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/27/13 at 11:52pm

Play the Jaws theme whenever Karen enters on the remix: Megan Hilty in "The Ivy League".

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#3155Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/27/13 at 11:55pm

"The Ivy League" leaves me breathless. The literal el oh el I just did might have woken the neighbors.

TheatreKid3
#3156Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/28/13 at 12:24am

HIT LIST was still the bigger winner of the night right? Based on the awards the showed, plus the other information given, HIT LIST won 7 awards and Bombshell only won 4 (this excludes any prediction as to who won best director.)

It was stated that Daisy's win for Best Featured Actress was HIT LIST's 5th award of the night, then Kyle won for Book, and then Derek won for choreo.

It was mentioned that Bombshell won Costume Design, Score (which the announcer stated it was only its second award of the night), Leading Actress (Ivy), and Best Musical.

Updated On: 5/28/13 at 12:24 AM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#3157Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/28/13 at 12:34am

Hit List is over! It will close before Jimmy gets out of the pokey!

kieranbec Profile Photo
kieranbec
#3158Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/28/13 at 12:35am

Obviously Diane Paulus won Best Director for directing Sutton Foster in Oliver.

JohnyBroadway
#3159Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/28/13 at 12:43am

And supposedly Sutton was Fagin.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#3160Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/28/13 at 12:46am

It was a one-woman Oliver.

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#3161Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/28/13 at 1:53am

That 'Under Pressure' montage poisoned my blood. I'm trying hard to pretend that it didn't happen.

Though I will miss the show, the Phony Awards sequences were as impossible to watch as they were to believe.

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#3162Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/28/13 at 10:29am

hey NEMO...yea SERIOUSLY!...it's a free country man...:)

FindingNamo
#3163Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/28/13 at 10:40am

I meant "seriously" as in "I totally agree with you, star of Red Ball Express." In case that wasn't clear.

At long last, Rachel Shuckert put up the capstone of our SMASH years.
Huge Ackman!

#3164Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/28/13 at 12:44pm

I wonder if in season 3 this new movie musical would have made it to the Oscars and Karen would have won the Oscar for best actress....

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#3165Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/28/13 at 4:08pm

Shaiman's article

FindingNamo
#3166Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/28/13 at 4:20pm

Ha! We can STILL keep talking about the phony Tonys!

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#3167Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/28/13 at 4:22pm

I wonder what the opening song of the Phonys was.

DealingwithDivas Profile Photo
DealingwithDivas
#3168Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/28/13 at 4:46pm

Absolutely true about Derek having best 2 hours.

Updated On: 5/28/13 at 04:46 PM

Owen22
#3169Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/28/13 at 4:51pm

Derek was always one of the best written characters. And consistently the best acted.

FindingNamo
#3170Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/28/13 at 4:52pm

And completely morality neutral because he suffered through Jager shots.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3171Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/29/13 at 9:37am

The plan for the season 3 that never will be:

"The plan for season 3 in my mind was a Hollywood movie musical. It would shoot in New York," shared the showrunner. "I felt like after two seasons of watching two shows full trajectories, I didn't want to repeat the story again so I thought I would take the season off and do a movie musical still using Broadway actors, still using Broadway stages, maybe it would have even been set in the world of Broadway."

He continues, " it would have given audiences a season to [see] a different way of muscials being put together and then you could come back to Broadway in season 4. You see the seeds that are in the finale."

Safran even had the production team in mind for the fictional film project. "...Derek was going to direct it or maybe he wouldn't direct it or Tom would direct it? And they'd need a new composer so Jimmy would compose with Julia. It's all there. So that's the SMASH that would have been."

Yet the exec confirms that the original Broadway theme would still be present if a third season had been filmed. "We realized that Ivy would have still been in Bombshell so she would not have been able to do the movie and she would have been pregnant. The idea would have been to still have been following Broadway with Eileen, sort of like a B-story while following the movie on the A-side and watching how Eileen made the jump like some theatrical producers have done into film. But Eileen was going to be our way to still stay in the theater. One of the things we talked about was creating a powerful film producer who was going to be her love interest, sort of a Harvey Weinstein."

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#3172Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/29/13 at 9:42am

That sounds amazing!!! Shaiman's article

MKunkel Profile Photo
MKunkel
#3173Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/29/13 at 10:22am

....how would Jimmy compose if he's in jail? From his cell?

SporkGoddess
#3174Shaiman's article
Posted: 5/29/13 at 11:00am

Ugh, so glad that we don't have to see Karen become a movie star.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Videos