News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 41

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#1000NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/20/13 at 12:06pm

New song by Jack Mannequin's Andrew McMahon from next week's episode:

http://www.nbc.com/smash/video/i-heard-your-voice-in-a-dream/n33924

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#1001NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/20/13 at 12:39pm

god am i the only one having fun with this season?...i hated all the sex-drama of season one...this season seems to me more about the backstage drama, real or unreal, of putting on a show...and that makes it 1,000% more interesting to me...and only me it seems from the ratings it is getting...I HATE NBC...they could move SMASH to right behind SPLASH...what a clever idea that would be but it is only NBC...so no clever ideas there...

beensince1987 Profile Photo
beensince1987
#1002NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/20/13 at 12:52pm

Is it still early winter in this show? I know fringe was winter fringe a few episodes back. I am just wondering when Hit List is opening in NYTW (OK it is MTW) to get RAVE reviews so it can move to the Barrymore to get nominations for Tonys. Would there be enough time to transfer in the same season (I mean Bway season, not season 3!!!)?

Or it would be fast-fowardingto a following year?

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#1003NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/20/13 at 12:59pm

I too loving this season broadwaybabywannabe2! The J. Hud stuff was annoying, but now that it's over, I think the show is a lot of fun! The drama is great too.

beensince1987, I'm sot sure what time it is. They filmed in the summer, so the background is awfully green looking for winter. But whatever...

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#1004NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/20/13 at 1:46pm

@broadwaybabywannabe2 -- SPLASH isn't on NBC. It's on ABC.

But I think NBC should have waited and moved SMASH to 9PM on Tuesdays to air after The Voice. Go On and New Normal finish their seasons the first week of April so they could definitely have done that and the show would have benefitted from its lead-in.

@DEClarke -- I also have been enjoying this season as well! Jennifer Hudson was also a very unnecessary story arc and I felt that those episodes ("The Fallout" and "The Song") were boring and dragged, but now that we are back focusing on Bombshell and the inception of Hit List I think the show is exciting and engaging.

And like I said before, Sean Hayes is fantastic on this show. Pity we won't get to see anymore of him.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1005NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/20/13 at 2:01pm

Derek's one of my favorite characters, but much of that is due to Jack Davenport. I would most likely not feel the same if someone else was in the role.

This. He's always at or near the top of my "Men on Smash I would do" list.

jawjuhh
#1006NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/20/13 at 2:07pm

I feel like there's a better pun that could be made out of that

Gothampc
#1007NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/20/13 at 2:10pm

Here's how Season 2 will end:

Jerry will secure the rights to Side Show. He will pay Ivy and Karen twice as much money to leave their shows and play the sisters. Ivy and Karen will be up for a Tony for playing the sisters, Bombshell will bring in Kristen Chenoweth as Marilyn and Hit List will get Karen's roommate to play the lead.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 3/20/13 at 02:10 PM

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#1008NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/20/13 at 3:23pm

"@broadwaybabywannabe2 -- SPLASH isn't on NBC. It's on ABC."...one can dream can't one?...lol

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#1009NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
Posted: 3/20/13 at 4:14pm

They need. a Fosse type character

Another plus would be taking Jordan's roommate out to the woods and leaving him for the animals to eat.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 3/20/13 at 04:14 PM

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#1010SPLASH outshines SMASH
Posted: 3/20/13 at 4:17pm

SPLASH outshines SMASH
Ratings: SMASH dips

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#1011SPLASH outshines SMASH
Posted: 3/20/13 at 5:25pm

I thought Derek was meant to be a Fosse type character? I do have to agree that the fact he's meant to be a choreographer is ridiculous.

The one of Whizzer's valid points that really stood up to me was the one related to Liaisons. It seems completely ridiculous that the show wouldhave the kind of number we saw, and yet was meant to be a more serious show (I don't think it was ever meant to be completely serious--Dangerous Liaisons is a social comedy, but the song we saw seemed to show that Sean Hayes' character was on the right track all along...)

beautywickedlover
#1012SPLASH outshines SMASH
Posted: 3/20/13 at 5:47pm

"THE MOVE TO SATURDAY HASN'T HAPPENED YET????"

The move will happen beginning April 6. The final Tuesday episode will be on April 2 when Bernadette Peters returns to the show.

Details Revealed for Upcoming "Smash" Episodes "The Bells and Whistles" and "The Parents"; Bernadette Peters Guests

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#1013SPLASH outshines SMASH
Posted: 3/20/13 at 6:34pm

Ok, so will we get 2 new episodes that week? Or will the Saturday (April 6) episode be the same as the April 2, with a new episode airing on April 13?

beensince1987 Profile Photo
beensince1987
#1014SPLASH outshines SMASH
Posted: 3/20/13 at 6:39pm

Hey DEClarke, here is the schedule for the rest of the series.

http://thefutoncritic.com/showatch/smash/listings/

peachesr82 Profile Photo
peachesr82
#1015SPLASH outshines SMASH
Posted: 3/20/13 at 6:44pm

I've actually found myself enjoying this season, and not in a hate watching kind of way. I gave up dissecting the show to any extent, in Season one. It is what it is. It's a big ol' mess, yes, and it's at it's best when they focus on the shows and most of the musical 'musical' numbers have been good, I can take and leave all the others. Ironically, my generally consensus on it has been 'meh'.

Jack Davenport has always been the saving grace for me, maybe Hilty, but they've barely used her so far this season, which looks like it might be changing a little now, we'll see. I don't need a season three, put the poor thing out of it's misery when this season ends.

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#1016SPLASH outshines SMASH
Posted: 3/20/13 at 6:50pm

Thank you beensince1897! I'm excited that we'll get 2 new episodes in 1 week!

I'm eagerly anticipating seeing the scene I saw filmed in this summer too!

beautywickedlover
#1017SPLASH outshines SMASH
Posted: 3/20/13 at 6:53pm

Hey DEClarke, here is the schedule for the rest of the series.

http://thefutoncritic.com/showatch/smash/listings/

There are only 16 episodes listed for season 2. I wonder if they are not going to air the final one on May 25. Anyway, I've enjoyed seeing Veanne Cox on the show lately. I really enjoyed her in the 1997 TV production of 'Cinderella', she was very funny. I did not know she was only 15 years younger than Bernadette Peters, so it was a little surprising that Bernadette played her mother in it. But I don't think I need to analyze that movie too much since Paolo Montalbán's parents were played by an African-American woman and a Caucasian man.

wonkit
#1018SPLASH outshines SMASH
Posted: 3/20/13 at 7:59pm

I tuned in last night for the first time this season. I can't see any improvement over last year's content - still silly, uninvolving and repetitive. Are there only two possible leading ladies for any show? Is Jack Davenport the only decent choreographer/director? The music is entertaining but the characters are curious and cardboard-y. I am most puzzled by NEWSIES lead Jordan who has a nice, belt-y kind of voice but is a painful actor. I missed him on Broadway but don't understand the rapture over his work - but it is hardly fair to use SMASH as the highlight on anyone's resume.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#1019SPLASH outshines SMASH
Posted: 3/20/13 at 8:08pm

Smash belongs on cable

Poster Emeritus

FireFingers Profile Photo
FireFingers
#1020SPLASH outshines SMASH
Posted: 3/20/13 at 8:20pm

I still don't understand why people get so upset about this not being "real"? Producing "real" theatre is, for the most part, very dull.

With The Broadway now empty, could a show fill it? -hint- -hint-.......... -hint-

trixigold
#1021SPLASH outshines SMASH
Posted: 3/20/13 at 9:35pm

I agree about it being repetitive. I sometimes tune in to the show late and a scene will be on and I start wondering if the episode is a repeat, then I realize it's a new episode and they're just having a scene or conversation that was similar to a previous episode. It reminds me of daytime soap operas in that respect, but the reason daytime is repetitive is because they run five days a week and it's inevitable to have similar conversations repeated due to the glacial pace of plot developments and the need to fill all that time. But for a once a week series? Not good.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#1022SPLASH outshines SMASH
Posted: 3/20/13 at 9:45pm

That recapping in daytme soaps aso comes from the pre-VCR days--they actually did some surveys where they discovered the majority of soap viewers only caught their show three times a week--and of course it's meant to help catch up new viewers (as is the way on soaps they always mention each other's names.) But on SMash it really does seem just like filler--as do a number of these stories (after all of that, Eileen managed to get her show back so easily?)

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#1023SPLASH outshines SMASH
Posted: 3/21/13 at 7:51am

broadwaybabywannbe2- No, I am enjoying the show especially the last few weeks. I guess I am not overly fixated with it being totally realistic. I agree that once they got back to being about shows trying to get to Broadway it is much better.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#1024SPLASH outshines SMASH
Posted: 3/21/13 at 11:29am

I am trying to just relax and enjoy this show without thinking about it too much. I am disappointed, though, because the songs in season one I feel are better than the ones so far in season 2. Exceptions: Moving the Line, Public Relations, Broadway Here I Come. The other songs sound generic or just bad to me, including the Hit List numbers.

Videos