News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 69

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#1700SMASH
Posted: 4/18/13 at 11:19am

8PM again? Wow they really are trying to kill this show.

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#1701SMASH
Posted: 4/18/13 at 11:20am

Maybe they are just trying to end her suffering.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#1702SMASH
Posted: 4/18/13 at 11:24am

By preventing people from watching it? They dropped the ball last week causing many DVR's to get screwed up. Seems like they're repeating the pattern this week, and adding salt to an already gaping wound.

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1703SMASH
Posted: 4/18/13 at 11:34am

If you have the show set to record on your DVR, it'll record no matter what time they move it to.

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#1704SMASH
Posted: 4/18/13 at 12:32pm

Smash is the only show I enjoy watching when it airs, if only to follow the comments on this board in real time. However, 8pm in New York is 7pm in my neck of the woods. That's insane. The only reason I watch television at 7pm is to have Jeopardy or a Seinfeld rerun in the background while cooking a complicated meal.

This is a sad send-off for a show that while broken in many (many!) ways, still captured my attention and appreciation every week. I enjoyed watching Bombshell come together despite the many plot flaws and also appreciated the characters despite the frequent need to see beyond a script that didn't seem to understand them very well.

I plan to savor the final few episodes because I'm afraid we're not going to see anything like this again for a long time. And I also know that the appeal of the show was limited from the start. In one unscientific sample comprised of the friends and family I've tried to engage in conversation, none have ever seen an episode. That's true regardless of the holes in the plot or whether the actors were the best choices for their roles. The subject matter just doesn't hold much interest outside our world.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#1705SMASH
Posted: 4/18/13 at 12:50pm

Rumpelstiltskin - Excellent post. You are so right in regards to appeal of this show. I will also add that I have two daughters in their twenties who love Broadway and they have never watched the show, too busy with life - lol.

Yes, the "flaws" of the show have been pointed out many times on this board but even with the "flaws" I have enjoyed the show. I think Megan Hilty has been great and the songs for "Bombshell" have been pretty darn good. Once SMASH concentrated on the shows getting to Broadway and not the personal stuff with characters like Julia, episodes got much better.

I will also add that NBC really screwed this show. A show with limited appeal needed a decent lead in show and be kept at the same day and time to give it a chance to build a audience. I remember reading years ago that FOX said one of the reasons for the show "24" success was that they kept it at the same day and time and never had it miss a week from beginning to end of season so the audience could find it. This is important when you have a series with a contining story line. NBC is the worst rated network so if SMASH could have even got semi respectable numbers it would have been given another season.

Updated On: 4/18/13 at 12:50 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1706SMASH
Posted: 4/18/13 at 1:23pm

However, 8pm in New York is 7pm in my neck of the woods. That's insane. The only reason I watch television at 7pm is to have Jeopardy or a Seinfeld rerun in the background while cooking a complicated meal.

Shrug, 8pm in New York is 7 in my neck of the woods, too and all television runs an hour earlier here as well. Are you in a different time zone or just a time warp?

I can't believe this week's grouse on here is that it's still on at 8(7 central). Didn't you kind of figure that it was going to be on at that time from now on when they switched it last week?

FindingNamo
#1707SMASH
Posted: 4/18/13 at 1:42pm

At this point I expect them to show the season finale between The Chica Show and Pajanimals on a Saturday morning in June. And I will get up, brew some coffee, toast a Pop Tart and enjoy every crazy minute of SMASH.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Rumpelstiltskin
#1708SMASH
Posted: 4/18/13 at 1:43pm

No, the issue is not the nature of time zones or how to set the DVR. As Jordan wrote, the DVR is pretty smart and adjusts for scheduling changes. The grouse is simply that 7pm is pretty early to catch a show if I want to see it as it's being aired. Whether the plan is to kick back and watch along with my online friends or have people over to introduce something new, 7pm is way to early to make that happen.

Regardless, the focus of my post was the pre-mortem for the show's imminent demise. I'm not delusional that it has a chance for additional episodes; just sorry to see it go.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1709SMASH
Posted: 4/18/13 at 1:52pm

Well, if you want to have friends over, you could record and show it any time you wanted.
Updated On: 4/18/13 at 01:52 PM

Rumpelstiltskin
#1710SMASH
Posted: 4/18/13 at 2:40pm

Sure. Careless post on my part. I was trying to circle back to my earlier comment that Smash is the only show I try to catch at the time it airs, but the network has made that difficult. It's as if they want to justify the imminent cancellation by ensuring that the ratings are as low as possible.

Ham3
#1711SMASH
Posted: 4/18/13 at 3:17pm

"I can't believe this week's grouse on here is that it's still on at 8(7 central). Didn't you kind of figure that it was going to be on at that time from now on when they switched it last week? "

I did, but then NBC's schedule showed it as back to 9/8 until the change today.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1712SMASH
Posted: 4/18/13 at 4:32pm

At least it's almost over and no one will have to go through this anymore.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1713SMASH
Posted: 4/18/13 at 4:36pm

I hope NBC sees what this show is doing to us and pulls it off their schedule immediately. We don't deserve this.

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#1714SMASH
Posted: 4/18/13 at 4:43pm

All this back and forth is getting annoying, that's for certain. But as long as I'm not working, I'll continue to watch it at whatever time it's on until it ends. Might as well be entertained while I can- despite all its many problems, I do have a soft spot for this show and I'll miss it.

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#1715SMASH
Posted: 4/19/13 at 12:03am

I still love SMASH, and I finally saw "The Dress Rehearsal" on OnDemand tonight.

In my opinion, SMASH as a niche show with a niche audience (of mostly people involved or in love with theatre) should have always aired on Monday nights. Why? Well, most theaters are dark that night. So, we can watch the darn show LIVE.

The Tuesday time slot was manageable, and I caught the show live sometimes there. However, as the Contributing Editor for BroadwayWorld's Houston page, I have little to no hope of seeing a single airing live with Saturday night airings. I hate that.

My views on "The Dress Rehearsal." This is a fun episode, but was mostly a placeholder. I'm excited to see where the drama goes for "Opening Night," especially now that Tom knows Julia helped HIT LIST!I'm sad that OnDemand didn't have a preview for episode 12 and that I can;t find it anywhere online! :-/

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#1716SMASH
Posted: 4/19/13 at 12:08am

@DEClarke -- I think they are no longer doing "next episode" previews for SMASH since it airs on Saturday nights now...

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#1717SMASH
Posted: 4/19/13 at 12:10am

BAH! That blows!

SporkGoddess
#1718SMASH
Posted: 4/19/13 at 12:11am

I'm in the central time zone and here prime time starts at 7 PM. So I definitely don't think it's too early.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

SporkGoddess
#1718SMASH
Posted: 4/19/13 at 12:11am

I'm in the central time zone and here prime time starts at 7 PM. So I definitely don't think it's too early.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#1720SMASH
Posted: 4/19/13 at 12:14am

Other than the fact that the conservatives will complain that it comes on too early and that their impressionable, young kiddos will be exposed to the evils of homosexuality because they're still awake at 7pm. Yay! More bad publicity for a fledgling show...

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1721SMASH
Posted: 4/19/13 at 1:01am

I don't the show is the opposite of fledgling at this point.

Updated On: 4/19/13 at 01:01 AM

beautywickedlover
#1722SMASH
Posted: 4/19/13 at 1:36pm

If anyone does want to save 'Smash' E! is doing a poll where it can help save one show from cancellation. This poll successfully saved 'Felicity', 'Angel' and 'One Tree Hill'. After they get their winner, they announce it on E! News and on E! Online, and then they take the message directly to that network. When they get down to the final round, they even get the stars of the shows involved. Last year, 'Community' was our winner, and it lived to see another season. 'Smash' is in the lead right now with 18.71%. If the program's fans help, then maybe the program can move to a cable network if NBC does not want it. I posted this for die-hard fans. I'll make a decision later if I want to take part in this.

Save One Show 2013: Vote to Rescue Your Favorite Endangered Series! Updated On: 4/21/13 at 01:36 PM

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#1723SMASH
Posted: 4/19/13 at 2:46pm

Let's all unite and save SMASH!!!!!

wicked1492 Profile Photo
wicked1492
#1724SMASH
Posted: 4/19/13 at 2:53pm

SMASH

SMASH

"These rabid fans...possess the acting talent to portray the hooker...Linda Eder..." -The New York Times

Videos