News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

New RENT TRAILER! Today AUG 25 on ACCESS HOLLYWOOD- Page 6

New RENT TRAILER! Today AUG 25 on ACCESS HOLLYWOOD

incendiary_wit Profile Photo
incendiary_wit
#125It's awesome
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:07pm

I admit it, I cried, I clapped, I mouthed the words along. I thought it was wonderful and am now even more excited for the film!

1. Ted Allen: Everyone has an interesting life if you ask the right questions.
2. Great buckets of Spoffnor, they're going to sing!
3. "I love shrubs that are historical." -Johnny and The Sprites
4. "We're not singing it to you, we're singing it for us." -Rosario Dawson, about La Vie Boheme
5. "The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours." -The History Boys
6. "Pass the parcel. That's sometimes all you can do. Take it, feel it and pass it on. Not for me, not for you, but for someone, somewhere, one day. Pass it on, boys. That's the game I want you to learn. Pass it on." -The History Boys

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#126It's awesome
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:08pm

yeah the whole thinks reeks of a box of corn flakes...

theatrebabe
#127It's awesome
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:12pm

I MISSED IT????!!!!! WHAT!!!???oh well,yea i saw it online,did they say or do anything besides just showing the trailer?

"While some feel it is a film related question, I seem to think it may be a 'I am thinking of losing my winkie' sort of question."
-cheezedoodle

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#128It's awesome
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:13pm

Oh, Marquise, I was NOT saying I thought it "reeks a box of cornflakes" at all; I was simply saying that some of those in the potential audience for this film MIGHT think so based on the two trailers, and it might not be a bad idea to show the fun side of the movie in a different trailer as to spark interest from a different side. That's all.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#129It's awesome
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:13pm

"I also agree with your statement that most of it looks incredible."

Well, not to backpeddle, but I made that statemant after only watching the trailer once. A lot of it does look good tho.

"However, in this respect I have to think back to A.I. - another incredible film that is remembered as "bad" mostly because its ending didn't work. All it takes is one big mistake to get bad reviews."

I had a lot of problems with A.I., not least of which was the ending. (Another movie that I felt really disrespeted by as an audience member was THE VILLAGE). I hope that RENT is a lot more satisfying in regards to what it needs to accomplish in order to give respect to the characters, storyline, music, etc

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
Updated On: 8/25/05 at 08:13 PM

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#130It's awesome
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:15pm

broadwaygirl i didn't say you did.

why is everyone on here taking everything i post as being directed personally at them?

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#131It's awesome
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:17pm

i object to this whole movie.

they should have gotten real down-on-their-luck-drug-addicted-hiv-infected-east-villagers to star.
wtf? adam pascal?!!! he's a broadway star for crissakes!

Chloe Profile Photo
Chloe
#132It's awesome
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:17pm

Keep in mind that a trailer is an ad, not a précis of the film. It's designed to get as many people as possible interested in seeing the movie, and is certainly open to criticism as to how well it might do that, but I don't think it should be taken as an indication of exactly what goes on in the final version. I've worked on a lot of movies, and the trailers often use shots that aren't in (and have never been in) the show, and juxtapose shots that are actually not related as if they were.

Of course, fans of RENT already very familiar with the material are going to find a lot here to speculate about, but it otherwise shouldn't be taken as gospel. What works in the movie might be too obscure or involved to work in a trailer, so other takes/shots/versions are used.

All that being said, I had to watch it four or five times in a row, I enjoyed it so much.

BroadwayGirl107
#133It's awesome
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:18pm

LOL.

I guess I figured you were going back to my comment about some thinking this trailer might be "sappy." Guess I was wrong. It's awesome

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#134It's awesome
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:18pm

I don't think people think you're directing everything at them Marquise, just that you're being irrational in general.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#135It's awesome
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:24pm

i'm not being irrational, chloe actually stated the same thing i did in my original post:

"... but I don't think it should be taken as an indication of exactly what goes on in the final version. I've worked on a lot of movies, and the trailers often use shots that aren't in (and have never been in) the show, and juxtapose shots that are actually not related as if they were.

and what's so irrational about asking people not to jump the gun and just sit tight and wait for november 23rd when the film opens.

it's those who are tearing into the film based on trailers who are being irrational. a trailer does not a whole movie make is where i'm coming from...

irrational my p.r. ass Updated On: 8/25/05 at 08:24 PM

EvelynNesbit1906 Profile Photo
EvelynNesbit1906
#136It's awesome
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:24pm

Right, and his decision to block me is especially sad since he's missing out on all of the answers I give to his questions (which, for someone who is so knowledgeable as he claims to be, should be obvious).

I still say that if you have criticisms or concerns about the film/trailer/whatever, express them here. Even Anthony Rapp recommends this. The director is only one person - he doesn't always know the right decisions to make but I'm sure he would rather hear suggestions now than have [alterable] aspects of the film slammed when it's released.
Updated On: 8/25/05 at 08:24 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#137It's awesome
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:26pm

Just a quick FYI - the version that's online is longer than the version that was on Access Hollywood; there's some dialogue at the beginning.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#138It's awesome
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:28pm

off topic:

i love MrMidwest's Lesley Ann Warren avatar.

okay back to our regularly scheduled "bitchfest"....

theatrebabe
#139It's awesome
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:28pm

oh yay!i didn't miss anything,except seeing it on a big screen...

so we should really put any suggestions we have here?

"While some feel it is a film related question, I seem to think it may be a 'I am thinking of losing my winkie' sort of question."
-cheezedoodle

thetheatrekook Profile Photo
thetheatrekook
#140It's awesome
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:29pm

ahhh! i liked this trailer. didn't love it, but liked it. like many of you, i too wish they had gone for maybe a more edgy, rock, fun (?) trailer...for those who actually don't know anything about Rent. We know the whole story, and so it's easier for us to get excited about it than someone who has no idea...it just looks like a touchy-feel-good movie about "struggling" friends. i know other people have said this...but i feel the same, so there you go! lol.

www.kickfornick.com

rclocalz Profile Photo
rclocalz
#141It's awesome
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:30pm

Well, I thought this trailer was awesome and now my non-theatre friends want to see it. I just think you guys don't need to over analyze this whole thing. Most of the American population will be like, "Hmmm, thats some good music. I've heard of RENT from somewhere."

http://www.glamsmash.com/ - Glamsmash Productions, a video production company in the heart of New York City

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#142It's awesome
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:30pm

yeah, it comes off as st. elmo's fire but only with crack whores and homeless people singing. did joel schumacher direct this mess?
Updated On: 8/25/05 at 08:30 PM

Jeanclaude1 Profile Photo
Jeanclaude1
#143It's awesome
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:32pm

Oh yeah! I saw the Trailer a few weeks ago in the theatre in my city...It was cool..I wanna see a different one now. I saw Idina. Yay.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#144It's awesome
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:32pm

Hehe Marquise, thanks.

You can at least recognize that there is some good in questioning the trailers and whats in them considering that there is still time to fix some things right?

I can't imagine that you wouldn't be disappointed if you saw the movie and felt that some things were just totally halfassed. Granted, we haven't seen the movie, but why wait until then when it can't really be changed to make well intentioned comments and suggestions?

EvelynNesbit1906 Profile Photo
EvelynNesbit1906
#145It's awesome
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:33pm

"so we should really put any suggestions we have here?"

Of course. Columbus and the cast have said that they read our posts and are very much interested in our feedback. The blog response function serves this same purpose.

Things that have happened only after they were repeatedly suggested on forums:
1. the Chbosky screenplay was used rather than the other one that Columbus was strongly considering.
2. Angel was removed from the on-stage dancing in Out Tonight.
3. Rhyming lines were changed to straight dialogue.
4. You'll See Boys was put back in the screenplay partially so that Taye could have more of a singing role.
5. Rosario Dawson was cast as Mimi.

BroadwayGirl107
#146It's awesome
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:36pm

The used the Chbosky screenplay??? Or did they incorporate more of what he had in that original draft? I'd hate to hear that they used that screenplay...it was so, so flawed. I'd rather see a lot of what was in that screenplayed incorporated with what was in the other one Colobus was thinking of using.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#147....
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:36pm

That was so melodramatic, i think i barfed a little.

theatrebabe
#148It's awesome
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:37pm

oh i'm glad we have an impact,didn't realize we did,i do agree that maybe they should have sowed RENT as more of a fun upeat rock,and showed some of the more sad moments,altho that's probably hard to do w/out giving away stuff

-cheezedoodle

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#149It's awesome
Posted: 8/25/05 at 8:38pm

"I can't imagine that you wouldn't be disappointed if you saw the movie and felt that some things were just totally halfassed

of course i would MrMidwest as a born and bred new yorker and former east villager myself and as someone who had the privilege to see this show in both it's NYTW and Broadway incarnations i have a very strong attachment to it.

Videos