News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Pulitzer 2014

Broadway61004
#75Pulitzer 2014
Posted: 4/14/14 at 1:01pm

Gut feeling says it goes to "Assembled Parties". Not at all saying it's the most deserving, but Greenberg's way overdue, it had a Broadway engagement (yes, the past 2 winners haven't, but prior to that for the past decade almost all Pulitzer winners made it to Broadway), etc.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#76Pulitzer 2014
Posted: 4/14/14 at 1:03pm

^Yes, it is.^ (referring back to henrik's post)

And, back to the Pulitzers, go Fun Home, go! I think it deserves to win. It is a gorgeous rendering of a particular, unique experience and giving a segment of the population a voice. For that, it deserves its place among the Pulitzer winners.

Updated On: 4/14/14 at 01:03 PM

DrowsyKaye
#77Pulitzer 2014
Posted: 4/14/14 at 3:06pm

The prize goes to The Flick by Annie Baker.

Finalists are The (curious case of the) Watson Intelligence by Madelaine George, and Fun Home by Jeanine Tesori and Lisa Kron.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#78Pulitzer 2014
Posted: 4/14/14 at 3:21pm

Good for FUN HOME, it was SO close!! Argh.

NewSynchopation
#79Pulitzer 2014
Posted: 4/14/14 at 3:21pm

Those are solid. Can't say I'm unhappy with the results.

After Eight
#80Pulitzer 2014
Posted: 4/14/14 at 3:36pm

What a trio!

What a winner!

Well, Annie Baker and Playwrights Horizons get the last laugh over those outrageous paying customers who had the nerve to complain about and/or walk out on that stick-it-to-the-audience, self-indulgent bore.

As for Fun Home, don't worry. Many, many awards will be comng its way this spring.

All in all, just one more step down into the abyss. (Actually, many flights of steps down.) This abyss is so abysmally deep!

NewSynchopation
#81Pulitzer 2014
Posted: 4/14/14 at 3:49pm

Wait, what?

April Saul
#82Pulitzer 2014
Posted: 4/14/14 at 4:09pm

Mistake. The Flick was very good, but Fun Home was a revelation. This may sound populist, but I would award the work that gives people chills...and not the one that has some folks leaving at intermission and wanting their money back. I'm glad Playwrights took a gamble on Baker--and I love everything else of hers that I've seen--but Fun Home was far more memorable, and even enjoyable at the same time, go figure!

nyla123
#83Pulitzer 2014
Posted: 4/14/14 at 7:06pm

Great choice. The Flick was the most fascinating, challenging, radical, and honestly exhilarating 3 hours I spent in the theater all last year. Fun Home was a good runner-up, but not quite as special as The Flick. Here's hoping that the Pulitzer encourages those doing regional theater productions of the play to resist the urge to speed it up. The length and glacial pace is kind of the point.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#84Pulitzer 2014
Posted: 4/14/14 at 9:21pm

Fun Home gave a musical voice to lesbians. I think that's pretty astounding. And it's just a killer show. I hope it gets a life again in NYC as well.

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#85Pulitzer 2014
Posted: 4/14/14 at 9:43pm

Fun fact: finalists Madeleine George and Lisa Kron are married. Pretty sure that's a Pulitzer first.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#86Pulitzer 2014
Posted: 4/15/14 at 7:59am

THE FLICK was the best thing I saw last season, and the way it's lived in my memory since, I'd put it near the top of a list of one of the most perfect productions I've ever seen. Not a single choice felt out of place. I really liked FUN HOME, but THE FLICK, for me, was something truly rare.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#87Pulitzer 2014
Posted: 4/15/14 at 8:44am

I also love that all the shortlisted nominees were women. I hope this only helps these women's (and all women's) voices be heard in theatres around the country in the years to come. The Pulitzers have always been a good force for diverse voices in the theatre.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

Videos