News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office- Page 4

Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office

Fantabulous428 Profile Photo
Fantabulous428
#75re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 4:38pm

snaps for Anthony and his amazing writing

I recognize the addiction to being alive.

my2cents
#76re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 4:40pm

Here Here Notthatgirl...

it is all about persepective. we live in a very critical world, and being actors, directors, writers, artists we are even more critical. (add gay to that equation and forget about it).

You can choose to constantly look at the flaws of things and never truly be happy, or just accept things. As Anthony said yes there are flaws, yes things could have been different. But RENT was made, it has most of the original leads, it has a lot of the music, I could not be happier. At the end during finale b, i thought of Jonathan and that these people who he helped choose for his work, were now honoring him in this film, and i teared up. Sometimes you jsut go to look at the bigger picture in everything. You can learn alot about people from these boards and to be honest there are some who I don't think I could ever be friends with in "Real" life beacuse they are constantly negative and criticising everything. Hey I got my mom and dad for that. :)

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#77re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 4:43pm

Thank you, Anthony, always good to hear your perspective on things.

I think we as fans can giggle about some things amongst ourselves and it's fine, like The Cliff. But when it gets to the point where your entire review of the movie consists of picking out all the flaws and not mentioning anything else, that's when you start turning people off to it.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#78re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 4:44pm

I just love that this cliff has now been officialized with capital letters.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

luvtheEmcee
#79re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 4:44pm

Sorry, double post.

Updated On: 11/27/05 at 04:44 PM

greenegirl87
#80re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 4:45pm

The Cliff and The Eyebrow

"But now the air is filled with confusion. We replace care with illusion."

N0tThatGirl213 Profile Photo
N0tThatGirl213
#81re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 4:45pm

Exactly! There were moments that made me giggle, and cringe too. But they really weren't major enough to focus on at all, and what's the point?

my2cents-I find that when I cry in the movie, I cry for Jonathan, and the people I've lost in the past year rather than for what's actually happening in the movie. I think that's the quality that translates so well no matter what.

"A little humility wouldn't hurt." --Ellie, Constantine-Hellblazer, "Dangerous Habits"

Fantabulous428
#82re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 4:46pm

I told my mom about the cliff before the movie and after we saw it I asked her what she thought about it. She had no idea what I was talking about - she said she was so absorbed in everything that was going on that she didn't even think twice about the cliff.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#83re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 4:47pm

Well, it's just absurd that THE CLIFF has caused reason to damn the movie to hell.

Fantastic post, Whiteboy! re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office

N0tThatGirl213
#84re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office

I must admit, I only noticed it because of the spoof icons that have been popping up on lj.

"A little humility wouldn't hurt." --Ellie, Constantine-Hellblazer, "Dangerous Habits"

luvtheEmcee
#85re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office

I was just about to say that I don't think something like that is really that big of a deal to people who aren't predisposed to laugh at something like that, or to laugh at one of the actors being a bad dancer, etc. I was snickering during What You Own, and my mother was so confused. She kept asking what was so funny. Didn't bother her!

Updated On: 11/27/05 at 04:47 PM

N0tThatGirl213
#86re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 4:50pm

Yeah, there was a lot more random laughter in the all-fan midnight showing than there's been at either of the other two. I think it's just because they're almost like inside jokes to us that we notice them so much.

luvtheEmcee
#87re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 4:51pm

Because to us, it's like "oh, Adam looks ridiculous. Look at his hair, he should cut it." It's just not that funny to people who don't know the show like the back of their hands.

twotrey
#88re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 4:52pm

>>>According to Variety, it came in at #4, playing at about 800 fewer theaters then the ones in front of it.

1. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (WB) 3,858 $81.4
2. Walk the Line (FOX) 3,138 $27.6
3. Yours, Mine and Ours (PAR) 3,206 $24.5
4. Rent (SONY) 2,433 $18.1
5. Chicken Little (BV) 3,475 $16.7<<<

Those are the 5-day weekend totals. The 3-day weekend totals show Chicken Little ahead of Rent, which indicates a precipitous business drop as the weekend progressed.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#89re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office

Yeah, after the movie I asked my wife is she thought the cliff scene was funny and she said, "Why? Is it supposed to be funny?" So, I think it is just the RENT fans that are snickering about this.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

MargoChanning
#90re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office

JRB

Not to be bitchy or difficult, but that is a HIGHLY selective critics roundup you've compiled there. Average grade a B? C'mon be fair......

Rottentomatoes rates it 51% Fresh (with 57 positive and 55 negative reviews). Among the top critics and major papers ("The Cream of the Crop") it's rated just 43% Fresh including all sorts of bad reviews you omit -- LA Times, Variety, The Village Voice, Washington Post, NY Daily News, Village Voice, Denver Post, Newsday, LA Daily News......

MetaCritic is about the same, rating the film a 54 (out of a 100) overall, based solely on 33 major publications.

Fan or not, you should try to be honest and accurate. I do review threads for all the Broadway openings and I characterize and excerpt each and every review as fairly as possible, regardless of whether I agree with them or not (and I often don't). I also don't omit the ones I disagree with.

You loved the movie. Most of the major critics didn't. So what? Does it mean they're right and you're wrong? No, of course not. So, be fair about it. For one thing, it helps explain the disappointing box office numbers. If the major critics all gave the film a B on average as you suggest, then it would be really puzzling why the film didn't attract more audiences. But looking at the actual numbers, the film did much better than your typical movie that scores a 54 with the major critics and shows the deep level of fan support the material has regardless of critical opinion.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

N0tThatGirl213
#91re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office

And then other things are funnier to people who aren't fans. Like "speaaak" getting huge laughs every time. I mean...it's funny, but it's not that funny if you're used to it.

Fizz
#92re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 4:55pm

Fantastic post, Anthony.

I'll admit, I did giggle a little at Roger on The Cliff. I loved every other Santa Fe shot(even the driving and the hairblowing :)). The cliff I think only made me giggle because Roger was wearing a pretty white shirt, and in my mind I saw more of Roger standing on The Cliff in a ripped up black tshirt or something more Roger-esque. However, after the inital giggle, the shot was still beautiful. That cliff was amazing.

That being said- I've heard quite a few people nitpicking every little tiny thing in the movie, and its really annoying. Any little moments I did not like were heavily outbalanced by everything else which I loved and the raw emotion in the film.

Its not perfect. But neither is life. Therefore, its better for the film to not be perfect.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#93re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 4:55pm

Margo---Take it up with yahoo. I didn't compile that list. They did. And, if I HAD been trying to maniplulate the facts, I would have removed the C grades.

Thank you.

And how DARE you accuse me of being dishonest, you holier than thou ****.

Updated On: 11/27/05 at 04:55 PM

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#94re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 4:56pm

I don't know, I cracked up everytime a "Speeeeak" scene came up.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Fantabulous428
#95re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 4:56pm

fans laughing at the cliff is the same as why we laugh at anthony rockin' out at the end of LVB B - it's like "awww....he's so cute" or in Adam's case "look at his hair blowing in the wind"

YankeesFan175
#96re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 5:06pm

wow im so behind on this thread, but:

that was so well put Anthony! when critics and people are totally cynical to the piece, it really bothers me. i hate when they say its "dated" because drug use and HIV/AIDS is just as big a problem today. its almost as if they insult jonathans work when they say that. sure the piece was written over 10 years ago, but its so universal that it should apply to any time period. sure its still not the 90s, but the message and effect it should have will last for years to come.

Bob: "there is a chance, albeit a microscopic one, that our baby at some point in his or her formative years will get lodged in a tree" ~Related~

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#97re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 5:08pm

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1808405627

check it for yourselves

and note that it doesn't change my point that many of the major reviewers have reviewed it well---therefore, it is NOT a Crossroads or a Gigli or a Glitter and those of us who like it are not off our rockers.

Updated On: 11/27/05 at 05:08 PM

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#98re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 5:09pm

THAT'S IT!??!?!?!?

Yours, Mine, and Ours did better???

This just goes to show you that people in the United States are stupid...

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

MargoChanning
#99re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 5:14pm

Well, you're the one who presented the list as your own with no attribution to Yahoo or anything so why would anything think it wasn't YOUR List. And as far as removing the C grades, the list is already manipulative enough by omitting the bad reviews and suggesting that there were so many positive reviews that the average grade was somehow a B. The average is much closer to a C anyway.

And you can't put it all on Yahoo. By choosing to reprint THAT list (rather than a fair one) knowing full well what the actual reviews were -- there were a dozen threads with them listed and what the scores were at Rottentomatoes and Metacritic -- you were just as manipulative and dishonest as they were. It's the kind of tactic I've seen you condemn in political discussions when they're done by right-wingers trying to (unfairly) make a point -- scewing poll numbers etc... -- and frankly it's beneath you.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 11/27/05 at 05:14 PM

Videos