News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office- Page 5

Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office

Millie42 Profile Photo
Millie42
#100re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 5:18pm

Of course it did better, Stephanie.

On a long weekend filled with family gatherings including little children and grandma and grandpa, a family movie is going to have a good turn out. Rent doesn't exactly target this crowd.

ETA: It also doesn't mean that Americans are stupid. I don't think I would be hauling my 7 year old cousins to RENT--- *that* would be stupid.

"My friends have made the story of my life." -Helen Keller
Updated On: 11/27/05 at 05:18 PM

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#101re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 5:20pm

I have never been to rotten tomatoes or metacritic, so I'm sorry that I didn't print their list

I am sorry I didn't put that it was from yahoo--I did when I posted that info in another thread. I forgot this time.

My POINT was that these were several major reviewers who DID review the film favorably. THUS, it was NOT a complete flop artistically in the eyes of many. My point would have been better served if I HAD only shown good reviews by major reviewers--and wouldn't have been dishonest as my point was to show there there existed good reviews--not that ALL of them were good. I kept the C ones because I WAS trying to be honest. I thought that yahoo had collected most of the major reviewers---the ones that films WANT to put on their ads.

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#102re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 5:25pm

True Rent is not appropriate for 7 year olds. I think taking any child under the age of 10 to the theatre to see anything other than cartoons is just wrong, but then again I also think going to see a movie like "yours mine and ours" in the theatre and wasting $8 on a film that has no action or real value is stupid. I just feel that movies now are made for profit and not for the art, that is why I hate movies like Just Friends, and In the Mix...they have no point, they are just there. and dumb.

My comments are bitchy, please excuse.

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#103re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 5:40pm

Well.. according to the numbers and expectations the movie has flopped on opening weekend.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

MargoChanning
#104re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 5:40pm

OK, look I wasn't meaning any of this as an attack which is why I prefaced my initial post by saying I didn't intend to be difficult or bitchy. It was unclear why you printed that list initially and I now understand your wanting to show the positive reviews to make a point. It's just that there's been so much misinformation and skewing of the facts going on during the whole Rent "fiesta" of the past week or so that it's gotten difficult to sort out fact from fiction about some things and the critical reaction was one of them.

And FYI -- remember that Yahoo partners with Fandango to sell movie tickets through the yahoo site. Yahoo intentionally omits bad reviews and skews the critical reception for EVERY movie in order to encourage ticket sales. They'll include a few bad reviews to make it LOOK honest, but really they're all about selling movies -- good and bad -- not objective reporting.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

LariTheLoud Profile Photo
LariTheLoud
#105re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 5:42pm

HOORAY ANTHONY!

I love The Cliff for all the jokes we made about it. Seriously. It's terrible, but it's so amazing at the same time because it's funny. Besides, I cried by the end, anyway.

I personally don't care what the critics say. It's pretty much split down the middle, as I figured it would be...

"Oh, good. After all, I can rub my stomach and pat my head at the same time, and I can do it with my eyes closed while whistling 'The Entertainer.' That's rhythm for you." ~ Snaps, proving that White Boys CAN have rhythm

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#106re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 5:43pm

Yahoo and others do that. Any other more reliable sources out there?

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#107re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 5:44pm

good information to know about yahoo--makes sense.

And your post was equivocal to the ol' "Don't take this personally, BUT". And just because someone says "Don't take this personally" doesn't mean that the comment isn't personal, nor controllable to not be taken as such.

Whiteboy Spice
#108re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 5:46pm

Dame --

I know you are someone who disliked the film, so it's understandable that you would put a negative spin on things.

But since when is a $4000-plus perscreen average considered a FLOP?

Anthony

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#109re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 5:46pm

I don't think Jonathan Larson would like all this fighting. There, I posted in a RENT thread.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#110re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 5:47pm

A flop on opening weekend? Because sales were only 10% below what people expected?

If you can't call it a flop until a show closes, shouldn't you not be able to claim a movie is a flop until it leaves theaters?

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#111re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 5:49pm

I will be posting my review of the film eventually. There are a lot of thoughts to compose and today I am celebrating my 2 year anniversary.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
Updated On: 11/27/05 at 05:49 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#112re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office

Y'all need to chill. The opening weekend flopped. The movie will still do ok. I guess I better see what the hell it is I wrote and fix it. So sorry.

LariTheLoud
#113re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office

*headthunk*

Have I mentioned that I'm really sick of all this debate over RENT? Yerg. It's a shame that Anthony has to post to defend his point of view so often.

Anyway, I would hardly consider RENT a flop. Gigli (an extreme example)? Definitely. But RENT? No way...

"Oh, good. After all, I can rub my stomach and pat my head at the same time, and I can do it with my eyes closed while whistling 'The Entertainer.' That's rhythm for you." ~ Snaps, proving that White Boys CAN have rhythm

orangeskittles
#114re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 5:52pm

I wasn't freaking out about the future success of the movie. I was just wondering how you can call it a flop when it hasn't even been out a week. A show that closes in the red is a flop. What are your standards for calling a movie a flop?

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#115re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 5:54pm

I'm going to go eat some UTZ potato chips and begin writing my review.

Updated On: 11/27/05 at 05:54 PM

orangeskittles
#116re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 5:54pm

Make sure they're barbeque.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#117re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 5:55pm

Though I would rather gnaw off my foot then defend Dame, in the movie industry opening numbers are important. But, again, I would say these numbers are respectable even if they are less than what was expected.

LariTheLoud
#118re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 5:55pm

Yum!

YankeesFan175
#119re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 5:56pm

$18 million opening weekend isnt horrible at all, especially when its a holiday weekend where most moviegoers are seeing family films. i agree with lari, it IS a shame Anthony has to defend himself and his opinions. and i agree with phantom as well, jonathan wouldnt like the fighting. this is HIS piece that speaks so truly, and some people just cant deal with that. if critics cant deal with it and they dont even appreciate the material, then its their problem. i think it was a beautifully made film, and i dont really care what the critics say, im just concerned at how they affect viewers opinions.

Bob: "there is a chance, albeit a microscopic one, that our baby at some point in his or her formative years will get lodged in a tree" ~Related~
Updated On: 11/27/05 at 05:56 PM

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#120re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 5:56pm

I wonder if the sales figures for UTZ potato chips have gone up now that the film is out? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

colleen_lee
#121re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 6:01pm

Phantom ponders the finer things in life.....

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

greenegirl87
#122re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 6:20pm

Haha those potato chips were soo subliminally marketed. The more utz you eat, the hotter you look.

"But now the air is filled with confusion. We replace care with illusion."

Cruel_Sandwich
#123re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 6:21pm

5th place is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than I thought it would do. I mean a critically panned movie with HIV drag queens, drug addiction, and that is told almost completely through song would not usually be peoples' first choice to see on Thanksgiving. But it really really really is doing well and shall turn some profit bank, thus opening the doors to even more musical films. Good job, Anthony, if you read this.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#124re: Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office
Posted: 11/27/05 at 6:24pm

I enjoy watching Idina eat the Utz chips.

For me the best part of the film were the performances. Each actor was fantastic.

I honestly wish the movie the best. I had a great time at my 2 viewings.

Videos