News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office- Page 7

Rent ranked #5 in America's Box Office

collins Profile Photo
collins
#150Political ramifications
Posted: 11/28/05 at 3:56am

LOL! :) I was trying to be optimistic...you expect 12 year olds to say stuff like that. But seriously, all the reviews I read were full of plain ol' ignorance and I wouldn't pay attention to them. There are toooo many people who loved the movie, or as I call it, the moooooovie.

<---Adopt a shelter pet!

#151Political ramifications
Posted: 11/28/05 at 4:02am

Hey there! I'm new to the boards. I was very surprised to see that Anthony actually posts here. Few entertainers today are willing to take time out of the day to talk to "normal" people like us... and notice the quotes because I use the term normal very loosely Political ramifications jk I'm going to apologize in advance because this may end up being a "book."

As far as politics are concerned, I find it very disturbing that so many people believe that being classified under a particular political party (ha alliteration!) means that there is absolutely no grey area, no room for exception. I come from conservative Texas. I was born and raised there and am not in the least bit ashamed of it. Almost without fail, when I tell people that, they automatically assume that I am some country bumpkin, right wing, nutty, extremist and that I could never like a show like Rent that touches on so many realities that are considered taboo. I'm not going to lie, I do generally tend to lean towards the conservative side of life... but I believe that, as long as no one is being hurt, it doesn't matter what another person believes nor does it make them any less deserving of love and respect.

That's what I LOVE about Rent. I LOVE that it questions all the things that are wrong with society, all the injustices and hardships that people in every-day life face. In a way, it is the story of my life. I can't say I've ever seen anything that evoked so much emotion from me at one time or characters that I felt so much for. Despite the different circumstances, the emotions they go through are the same ones that billions of people deal with all the time, myself included.

While everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, I think that people who can take a show like this and manipulate it into something it isn't just for argument's sake and for a reason to dislike it are extremely sad. Unfortunately, it is simply reality that they exist. I don't care what any critic says about the movie, I thought it was absolutely and undeniably fantastic. Besides, what kind of qualifications do you need to be a film critic anyways? That's right, none. Coming from someone aspiring to do musical theater professionally myself, thank you for making this incredible story available to such a larger audience. You have every right and reason to be proud of yourself... and to do a little happy jig... and tape it so we all can watch Political ramifications

<3 Briana

Kass983 Profile Photo
Kass983
#152Political ramifications
Posted: 11/28/05 at 6:39am

Anthony,

First of all I would like to add my appreciation of your work and interaction with us. You have an eloquence too few people have and reading your posts is truly a pleasure.

I agree with the various posts about not nit-picking "our" movie to death, and with you about intent and heart. This movie was made to touch even more people's lives the way the play did. It's good intentions were evident from the start with Chris bringing most of the original cast back, and I'm sorry, I just don't believe another director would have. It's evident in having these interracial, same sex, hetero people be a family to each other and having those issues that we complicate in society be non-issues in the film. The play, and now film, inspirationally refocuses one on what actually matters in life.

I must plead guilty to stressing myself out needlessly over rumors, cut songs and reviews, to the point of venting on the board a few times. I shouldn't have done that and ought to have had more faith that the essence of RENT would shine through no matter what, and it did.

I think it's wonderful of you to acknowledge the akwardness of The Cliff scene and to share that you realize some things weren't "executed" as well as they could have been. It has to be more than a little frustrating to have your finished product dissected and reduced to only what didn't work. I don't quite understand that mentality when there is so damn much to love.

As a complete work this movie is so worth being proud of, and I too am delighted to see you in a significant role again. I hope this is the beginning of great things to come for you.

Oh, and box office #5 or #4, whatever, both very respectable numbers. I went 3 times on opening day and plan to at least once this week, and weekly thereafter. You, all of you, have totally got my respect and support.

Now go to sleep...j/k.
Updated On: 11/28/05 at 06:39 AM

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#153Political ramifications
Posted: 11/28/05 at 8:24am

Allow me to threadjack for a minute, to say how wonderful it is having here posters like kass. EVERY post of her I see makes me love her more and more. Kass, you are one true classy LADY !!!

#154Political ramifications
Posted: 11/28/05 at 8:49am

I just checked and Chicken Little beat Rent. OMG I know it is at more theaters than Rent but still I will kill that gay movie. They should make a child theater for every city or something where they can have animated movies. Rent is better and Chicken Little looks dumb like every other G movie they make. Sorry just paronioid that Rent didn't get a higher ranking LOL

Fosse76
#155Political ramifications
Posted: 11/28/05 at 10:04am

It was a holiday weekend. Family movies ALWAYS win out during a Holioday weekend. I think many people weren't expecting RENT to come in at #5.

rowers unite Profile Photo
rowers unite
#156Political ramifications
Posted: 11/28/05 at 10:52am

In terms of box office status let us all for a second realize what last weekend was, in the United States, THANKSGIVING…. Now again remembering that it was THANKSGIVING and many American families have children, would one bring their child to a film say Chicken Little (which by the way I resent being called “gay”) or Yours, Mine, Ours or Harry Potter or RENT.

Now assuming that everyone understands many parents may not feel that Rent is appropriate viewing for many children, can one not put two and two together and realize that maybe during a family oriented holiday, families may want to see FAMILY oriented films? Could this not cause a slight (understated) discrepancy in box office value?

Now, I am 18 years old, I have no children and I’m not an American citizen, I live in Canada and I have seen Rent, twice actually. I have also seen the stage show, twice. I felt, although different from the stage show, one can not, could not, and should not compare the two; they are two different entities entirely.

Rent has played a big part in my life, it has touched me and made me understand and realize things in different lights; however, I fell no ill towards anyone who disliked the movie.

I do have one request though, if one did not enjoy the movie, please stop with the incessant banter. Your point has been made, it is valid, and it is understood. What do you (as a whole) gain in continuing your reviews with homophobic remarks?

Updated On: 11/28/05 at 10:52 AM

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#157The film
Posted: 11/28/05 at 11:57am

I have to say I didn't love the film overall, but I have more affection for it the more I think about it. I think the movie was made with very good intentions and that I do appreciate.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#158The film
Posted: 11/28/05 at 12:33pm

It actually did better than I thought it would.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Kass983 Profile Photo
Kass983
#159The film
Posted: 11/28/05 at 2:12pm

GreekMusicalFan, I am quite touched by your comments. Thank you. Made my whole week. : )

(end of threadjack) Updated On: 11/28/05 at 02:12 PM

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#160The film
Posted: 11/28/05 at 2:50pm

"Have I mentioned that I'm really sick of all this debate over RENT? Yerg. It's a shame that Anthony has to post to defend his point of view so often."

"i agree with lari, it IS a shame Anthony has to defend himself and his opinions."

He's no more human than the rest of us, and by god, he should have to defend his opinions. Sure, no one should be attacked without reason, but to claim someone shouldn't have to defend their point of view, JUST because they're a celebrity...Opinions are opinions, and if someone can't back yourself up or handle negative feedback, regardless of their "importance", I have little or no respect for them.

And I, personally, think Anthony is doing a fine job of looking after himself and defending his opinions, and doesn't need the little minions screaming, "Be fair! He's a celebrity!"

He's a big boy, guys, he can look after himself.

And Em, I love you, and I love your posts, but I think this is a major cop-out:

"Right. By nitpicking and hating, we're going to hurt it. If fans of the material can't love the movie, then what's it got going for it? We're supposed to love it, not be a detriment to it, for what it's worth."

I don't think I even need to explain how that concept is just majorly...wrong.

As a somewhat fan of the material, this debate only makes me want to see the film more.

And if the fans can't pick the film apart, who will?

The film

ellenoshalom Profile Photo
ellenoshalom
#161The film
Posted: 11/28/05 at 2:54pm

All I have to say, is go see the movie. BRAVO!!!!! Great movie. I enjoyed it.
Updated On: 11/28/05 at 02:54 PM

colbol2005
#162The film
Posted: 11/28/05 at 3:08pm

Right. So here's my question. I live in the UK. I haven't seen the movie. Yet. Surely a take of $18million means that for the entire week, it'll take close on $22-23ish then surely , until it dissapears it'll haul in close to $40-50. Add on DVD sales, which I imagine will be respectable, sales to DVD rental agencies, and, most importantly, overseas sales(there are many places outside of the US, you know), this movie will easily make a profit. Am I being daft or naive? For example, Moulin Rouge was a comparitive flop in the US, in the UK and the rest of Europe, and indeed Asia, it was a smash. It is now seen as a hit, certainly in this country. Also, Chicago, which I really like, was only a nominal hit here(i.e. the movie), but the DVD sales went through the roof. I don't think REnt will have such a big inpact in this country but it'll do OK, and throughout the rest of the world. I think the problem comes with you guys labelling it a "FLOP". Word spreads, you know. Be careful.

ellenoshalom Profile Photo
ellenoshalom
#163The film
Posted: 11/28/05 at 3:16pm

By no means did I intended to say this movie was a flop. I was just clearly stating what the news article indicated. Please see link in the 1st post.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#164The film
Posted: 11/28/05 at 3:34pm

I am the one who first used the word flop. And I didn't mean too. It was a poor choice of words. It just did not meet the opening weekends expectations. I do think this movie will do well on dvd.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

tagiunagi
#165The film
Posted: 11/28/05 at 3:39pm

Why didn't it play in more theaters?

Question: Will Esparza win for The Homecoming? BobbyBubby: I hope so. If only for the mental health of many people on this board.

Peter
#166The film
Posted: 11/28/05 at 4:46pm

"So again, I say to the critics who don't at the very least acknowledge the political reality of our country -- and the attempt this film is making to tell a story that could open people's eyes up to alternative ways of living (whether the film succeeds or fails on an artistic level is a different matter, and not relevant to the point I'm making now) -- I say to them that I consider their ignorance of this fact to be more than a little naive, irresponsible, and cynical on their part."

Well anyone who has elderly parents knows how theyre about the last group of people who are about to change their minds on anything. They grew up in a different time and of course homosexuality was taboo and bigotry pretty widespread (my 86 year old mom still screams at the tv when a minority wins over a white person on The Price is Right lol). Well this definitely unhip ederly mom loved the film as did I. This gives me a shimmer of hope that Rent is making a difference.

Updated On: 11/28/05 at 04:46 PM

jessyk1065 Profile Photo
jessyk1065
#167The film
Posted: 11/30/05 at 8:48pm

I said this in another post in another thread about the movie, but I'll say it again just because let's face it, Macomb, IL is not exactly the cultural hub of America and I'd much rather post too much here than get too drunk at some random bar like most of my schoolmates. When I first heard RENT was being made into a movie, I was EXTREMELY skeptical, mostly because I heard names like Justin Timberlake being tossed around in conjunction with it. My first experience with RENT was when I was 11 years old; I've basically grown up with this show being my only constant. I've laughed with it often, and cried with it often, and more than anything I wanted the movie to evoke those same feelings in me and it did. There were things I liked and things I missed (where's the table humping?? The film and the Mark/Roger fight in "Goodbye Love" has always been one of my favorite parts of the show, it just reveals so much about both of them at once), but overall I felt that the movie truely captured the heart of the show. I mean....and again, I said this before, but if the expressions on Anthony and Adam's faces while Jesse is singing the "I'll Cover You" reprise don't just destroy you, then you must not be human. ::sigh:: that song gets me every time. Or during "Will I?" when Mark starts singing, in the backround but at the same time trying to be included.....it's just so *him*. I think that other fans out there who have shared similar experiences, including initial skepticism, will tell their friends about the film and the response will continue to grow. As many people have pointed out, RENT came out in the midst of Thanksgiving and family times; but for a lot of us, without many friends or family to connect with, RENT is how we connected with our true families rather than being a child dragged to see "Yours, Mine, and Ours" or whatever else is playing right now. I wouldn't know, our movie theatre here only plays 2 movies at a time....and I don't think we should be comparing RENT to other movies, because it's truely unlike anything else out there right now. It's unique, and quirky, and ambitious, and totally insane, and crazy, and so many other things I can't describe; some people will love that, and some people won't. All we can hope is that it will change as many people in as many positive ways as possible.

remember: Angel helped us believe in love.

"You pretend to create and observe when you really detach from feeling alive"-Roger to Mark
Updated On: 11/30/05 at 08:48 PM

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#168The film
Posted: 11/30/05 at 9:00pm

Surely they should have been higher then the Johnny Cash movie.

uh why? That Johnny Cash movie is expected to be up for and win several Oscars........RENT is not. And trust me, I LOVED RENT when I saw it opening day

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

Videos