News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23

TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 11:33am

https://tootsiemusical.com/

Updated On: 8/9/18 at 11:33 AM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#2TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 11:33am

So exciting!!

CaseyBrent41
#3TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 11:37am

Told you!

massofmen
#4TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 11:45am

Death sentence. Thats too bad. I had high hopes for this show. 

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#5TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 11:45am

Weird they're announcing this before the Chicago run even starts.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Evans2
#6TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 11:51am

CaseyBrent41 said: "Told you!"

Yes, you did, along with the statement that Moulin is going into the Hirschfeld.

Anything else you'd like to share?

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#7TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 12:02pm

massofmen said: "Death sentence. Thats too bad. I had high hopes for this show."

Why do you say that?

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#8TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 12:05pm

YvanEhtNioj said: "massofmen said: "Death sentence. Thats too bad. I had high hopes for this show."

Why do you say that?
"

I think it’s because the Marquis hasn’t had a hit since THE DROWSY CHAPERONE. I think his could be the next one though. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards
Updated On: 8/9/18 at 12:05 PM

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#9TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 12:05pm

Yep. Death watch. Give it a year.

BroadwayConcierge
#10TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 12:06pm

I am really hoping this show changes the Marquis’ “death trap” reputation. It has so, so much potential.

CaseyBrent41
#11TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 12:07pm

CaseyBrent41 said: "Told you!"

Yes, you did, along with the statement that Moulin is going into the Hirschfeld.

Anything else you'd like to share?

Soon I will share more. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#12TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 12:20pm

Just curious:

Why do people seem to be more excited about this one than all the other hyper-commercial adaptations and jukebox musicals coming this season? I'm not trying to pass judgement on the show - obviously I haven't seen it. But on paper it doesn't seem all that different from the other musicals coming this season in terms of its prospects. 

Not trying to be snarky. It's genuine question! 

BroadwayConcierge
#13TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 12:24pm

JBroadway, the movie is a beloved gem. It’s one of my all-time favorites, and seems to be many others’, too. I find that when I tell people about a Tootsie musical being made, they respond enthusiastically with, “Oh, I LOVE that movie!” It’s really comedy gold.

I also think it’s going to have a really poignant, powerful message at this time in history. Plus, with David Yazbek penning the score, it seems like there’s a lot that could go really, really right on this one.

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#14TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 12:24pm

JBroadway said: "Just curious:

Why do people seem to be more excited about this one than all the other hyper-commercial adaptations and jukebox musicals coming this season? I'm not trying to pass judgement on the show - obviously I haven't seen it. But on paper it doesn't seem all that different from the other musicals coming this season in terms of its prospects.

"

The biggest difference for me is the creative team, namely David Yazbeck and Scott Ellis. Also thrilled to see what Fontana can do with this role! 

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#15TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 12:29pm

There have been rumblings that Yazbek's score is incredible. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#16TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 12:31pm

The book writer causes me some concern here. What in his past work would lead us to believe he's up to the task of adapting one of the great comedy film scripts to the stage?

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#17TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 12:35pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "the Marquis hasn’t had a hit since THE DROWSY CHAPERONE. I think his could be the next one though."

Penn and Teller recouped and The Illusionists did crazy good business (though they weren't traditional theatre productions).

And wasn't the Nederlander a flop house before RENT?

bradwalt
#18TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 12:52pm

No announcement on an actor to play Julie's father?   Charles Durning played the part in the film.  I hope they haven't cut the character from the musical. 

JSquared2
#19TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 12:56pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "YvanEhtNioj said: "massofmen said: "Death sentence. Thats too bad. I had high hopes for this show."

Why do you say that?
"

I think it’s because the Marquishasn’t had a hit since THE DROWSY CHAPERONE. I think his could be the next one though.
"

ON YOUR FEET ran nearly 2 years.  It didn't recoup -- but far from a failure.

CaseyBrent41
#20TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 12:58pm

The score is far from good. Full Monty, Scoundrels and Women on The Verge are far superior. 

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#21TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 1:12pm

JBroadway said: "Just curious:

"

I second much else that has been said. We have a director with a very strong track record, a composer with the same, and a cast of heavy hitters who, if they haven't had a breakout role yet, have consistenly been turning in great work. 

I also have concerns--the book writer doesn't have a stellar track record, and the movie feels very of its time. I LOVE the movie, but...a story about a straight white actor who realizes his life would be easier if he was a woman? It's not super 2018, shall we say. But! Again! There's so much talent involved that I can't help but be really optimistic. 

Keiichi2 Profile Photo
Keiichi2
#22TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 1:20pm

Is anyone here seeing the production in Chicago?  I go on Saturday, October 6 for the matinee, and I really am looking forward to it.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#23TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 1:27pm

JSquared2 said: "ON YOUR FEET ran nearly 2 years. It didn't recoup -- but far from a failure."

It didn't recoup- that's the definition of a failure.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#24TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 1:52pm

Broadway Concierge:

The statement you made about the show's potential merits echo precesely the hopes that everyone and their brother - Ken Mandelbaum leading the pack - had for The Goodbye Girl back in 1992; with its killer-diller star wattage and music by Marvin Hamlisch.
Couldn't miss.
And it too opened at the Marquis.

JSquared2
#25TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 1:56pm

dramamama611 said: "JSquared2 said: "ON YOUR FEET ran nearly 2 years. It didn't recoup -- but far from a failure."

It didn't recoup- that's the definition of a failure.

Sure -- whatever you say, sweetie.

Videos