News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23- Page 2

TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23

JSquared2
#25TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 1:56pm

dramamama611 said: "JSquared2 said: "ON YOUR FEET ran nearly 2 years. It didn't recoup -- but far from a failure."

It didn't recoup- that's the definition of a failure.

Sure -- whatever you say, sweetie.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#26TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 1:58pm

"Just curious:

Why do people seem to be more excited about this one than all the other hyper-commercial adaptations and jukebox musicals coming this season? I'm not trying to pass judgement on the show - obviously I haven't seen it. But on paper it doesn't seem all that different from the other musicals coming this season in terms of its prospects. 

Not trying to be snarky. It's genuine question! "

Because the main character in the movie is a guy wearing a dress - lol !!!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#27TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 2:00pm

Things that fail to make a profit (when that's the goal) ARE a failure. Fact of life, not my own personal outlook.

No need to get smarmy, sunshine.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#28TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 2:07pm

Countless now classic musicals never recouped but were considered hits: WEST SIDE STORY, GYPSY, THE SOUND OF MUSIC, FUNNY GIRL, FOLLIES... the list is endless.  

Just because a show doesn't recoup doesn't make it a failure.  A financial failure?  Yes.  A failure as a show?  Absolutely not.  

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#29TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 2:09pm

Jerry Zaks: "I can open BRONX TALE and HELLO DOLLY within the same season!"

Scott Ellis: "Hold my beer. I can preview/open KISS ME KATE and TOOTSIE within 68 days!"

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#30TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 2:10pm

I’m so excited for this. I LOVE the score and Santino (just in the readings) has such a great grasp on who his Dorothy Michaels is, that I have a feeling this can be a huge critical hit.

Updated On: 8/9/18 at 02:10 PM

sdrick
#31TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 2:18pm

YvanEhtNioj said: "massofmen said: "Death sentence. Thats too bad. I had high hopes for this show."

Why do you say that?

"Marriott is the kiss of death".  It's cursed, I tell 'ya . . . cursed!

sdrick
#32TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 2:30pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "JBroadway, the movie is a beloved gem. It’s one of my all-time favorites, and seems to be many others’, too. I find that when I tell people about a Tootsie musical being made, they respond enthusiastically with, “Oh, I LOVE that movie!” It’s really comedy gold.

I also think it’s going to have a really poignant, powerful message at this time in history. Plus, with David Yazbek penning the score, it seems like there’s a lot that could go really, really right on this one.
"

Here's the thing . . . I read an early version of this and felt they had drained all of the feminists leanings from the script.  While it is a talented creative team, it is all white males.  The film had the wherewithal to bring in Elaine May (though uncredited) to bring in a female view point to the script. Otherwise it is once again mansplaining the women's point of view.  The depth that existed in the movie, I found lacking in the script.  We'll see what happens in Chicago, but hopefully there has been fixes in the book, and it's awhile before it opens on Broadway. 

sdrick
#33TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 2:31pm

carolinaguy said: "The book writer causes me some concern here. What in his past work would lead us to believe he's up to the task of adapting one of the great comedy film scripts to the stage?"

Well founded concern . . .

sdrick
#34TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 2:34pm

markypoo said: "Broadway Concierge:

The statement you made about the show's potential merits echo precesely the hopes that everyone and their brother - Ken Mandelbaum leading the pack - had for The Goodbye Girl back in 1992; with its killer-diller star wattage and music by Marvin Hamlisch.
Couldn't miss.
And it too opened at the Marquis.
"

And NICK AND NORA with Joanna Gleason . . . what could go wrong?

sdrick
#35TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 2:39pm

SomethingPeculiar said: "Jerry Zaks: "I can open BRONX TALE and HELLO DOLLY within the same season!"

Scott Ellis: "Hold my beer. I can preview/open KISS ME KATE and TOOTSIE within 68 days!"
"

I hate KISS ME KATE. And I think it is unfortunate that Mr. Ellis only seems comfortable working with men on his creative teams. 

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#36TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 2:45pm

JBroadway said: "Just curious:

Why do people seem to be more excited about this one than all the other hyper-commercial adaptations and jukebox musicals coming this season? I'm not trying to pass judgement on the show - obviously I haven't seen it. But on paper it doesn't seem all that different from the other musicals coming this season in terms of its prospects.

Not trying to be snarky. It's genuine question!
"

I think the difference is that in the 2017-2018 season, all of the musicals felt like corporate cash grabs with many of the shows being part of billion dollar franchises. Disney’s Frozen, Nickelodeon’s Spongebob, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Escape to Margaritaville, were not created because a composer/lyricist/playwright saw the source material and was like “this might make a great musical” instead it was a CEO saying “we could make a killing if this opened on Broadway”. Add to that Mean Girls had the full court press of NBC/Universal behind it. As well ass Jukebox musicals are Cash grabs 9 times out of 10, so Summer falls into the category too. Compared to this upcoming season Tootsie and Moulin Rouge, are adaptations being spearheaded by beloved members of the Broadway community. Then we also have 2 original musicals opening in the fall, compared to none last season. Head over Heels may be a mess, but its still an artistic mess. 

Broadwaygirl202
#37TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 3:00pm

I’m seeing it September 21st. I’m really excited about it. I hope they announce a lottery/rush because I’m traveling from Indiana and I would love to see it multiple times.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#38TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 3:06pm

Why do people seem to be more excited about this one than all the other hyper-commercial adaptations and jukebox musicals coming this season? 

For me, it's all about a new Yazbek score.  I'm really excited about seeing it next month.

It didn't recoup- that's the definition of a failure.

No, that's the definition of a "flop".  Musicals can fail or succeed based on any criteria that comes to mind.  "Hit" and "flop" are terms specifically based on recouping their initial investments.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#39TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 3:48pm

Can’t wait to hear Santino’s Tony speech next year :)

singer234
#40TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 4:02pm

Shows that don’t recoup are not necessarily failures in the long run. Many shows don’t recoup until years later, after stock, regional, international rights etc. The specific Broadway production of a show may be a failure, but a show itself has an infinite lifespan.

Updated On: 8/9/18 at 04:02 PM

BroadwayLover4
#41TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 4:14pm

I am also excited to hear a new Yazbeck score. Having high hopes for this show!!!

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#42TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 8:04pm

"Shows that don’t recoup are not necessarily failures in the long run"

Exactly.

God, I am SO excited for this.  My friend was in the room when they did the reading last June, and even then, he said it was something really special.  Santino is one of my favorites.  Cannot wait!

Updated On: 8/9/18 at 08:04 PM

Alexander Lamar
#43TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/9/18 at 8:55pm

Ok, so it wasn’t a failure, it was a flop. The curse of the Marquis stands.

I’m going to have to check this movie out.

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#44TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/10/18 at 1:14am

As I mentioned in another Tootsie thread I am most curious to hear the Ms Dorothy voice that Santino gives her.

Perhaps Jordan you might like to tell me/us as you were there for the reading/s.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#45TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/10/18 at 1:19am

I agree. I'm totally excited for this project. It just seems to be such a great combination of talent and material. And I'm always here for a new Yazbeck score, and he does musical comedy so damn well. 

It's not like Pretty Woman where it's a...why?... but this makes perfect sense for a musical comedy.

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#46TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/10/18 at 4:11pm

Just walked by the Cadillac Palace in Chicago and they're unloading the trailers for the show, Can't wait!

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#47TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/10/18 at 5:51pm

From a purely business perspective, I wonder if this show will be able to sell out the 1600 seat Marquis for long without significant discounts, making it harder and harder for it to recoup. I think that in order for it to be a big commercial success it’d need a big name Star in the title role, which it doesn’t have. I think that the movie was a huge hit largely due to having Dustin Hoffman as the star. He was already a Hollywood superstate by the time Tootsie opened. 

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#48TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/10/18 at 6:56pm

It’s not like PRETTY WOMAN at all since they didn’t just add some bland music into the films script, making it 45 minutes longer.

NYCblurb
#49TOOTSIE to open at the Marquis, April 23
Posted: 8/10/18 at 7:00pm

Cannot wait to see this one. May go to Chicago actually. One of my favorite movies, and I love Julie Halston & Santini for sure.

A lover of theater for decades. Teacher by day. Family man by night. See more theater than most, oftentimes a hesitant plus one.

Videos