News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...- Page 2

The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#25The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 4/30/15 at 12:06am

The NY Post

Kristin

Gloriously revived by the Roundabout Theatre Company, this 1978 musical — now with sparkling turns by Kristin Chenoweth and Peter Gallagher — is a fast-paced romp.

Chenoweth uses her whippet-thin body and multioctave vocal range to delicious comic effect.

All told, “On the Twentieth Century” is on track to score big at Tony Awards time — Chenoweth might as well start practicing her acceptance speech

Kelli

Kelli O’Hara reunites with that show’s director, Bartlett Sher, and gives yet another finely calibrated performance as the “I” of the title. Her warm, occasionally bemused poise makes her a fine fit for Anna Leonowens, the British widow who’s been appointed governess of the King of Siam’s many children. 

Chita

It’s Chita Rivera’s world: We just live in it. This works out very well for the Kander and Ebb musical “The Visit,” in which the charismatic star plays a billionairess who buys her hometown.

But “The Visit” is Claire, and Rivera. Claire’s dance duet with her younger self, tenderly choreographed by Graciela Daniele, is one of this season’s emotional peaks. It’s hard to think of a better sync between role and star.

“I’m unkillable,” Claire says. And you may find yourself wishing Rivera could also go on forever.

Updated On: 4/30/15 at 12:06 AM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#26The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 4/30/15 at 12:20am

At this point I'd love it if Leanne Cope won, just because it would be such a great upset.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#27The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 4/30/15 at 12:25am

The Hollywood Reporter - All reviews by David Rooney. Interesting to note that he raves much more about Kelli and Chita. He's respectful and complementary of Kristin's performance, but hates the production that she's in. But I'm sure that some of Chenoweth's supporters will still insist that her reviews are unequaled. 

Kristin

Co-stars Kristin Chenoweth and Peter Gallagher give it their all, delivering exactly the kind of over-the-top caricatures the antiquated material demands.

Lily is a role that calls for a true coloratura, and Chenoweth's voice remains a rare instrument, effortlessly scaling the trilling peaks while the actress scampers mischievously through every bit of campy, self-worshipping comic business in the book. Gallagher proves to be almost her match by hamming up a storm as a character perhaps even more flamboyant than Lily, even if the supposedly deep-rooted connection between them is unconvincing. However, the performances remain wedded to a broad slap-shtick mode that gets very old very fast, much like the antique sight gag of a cartwheeling granny. And while both Lily's and Oscar's songs are virtuoso comedy turns, the problem is they're seldom fun; at least not for long.

Kelli

From the moment her casting was announced, it was a safe bet that O'Hara, who has been impeccably directed by Sher not only in South Pacific but also The Light in the Piazza and The Bridges of Madison County, would bring something special to the role of Anna Leonowens, the widowed English schoolteacher who proves a headstrong match for the King of Siam. One of America's most gifted musical-theater performers, she attacks the role with staunch resilience but also an enveloping warmth that allows for moments of heartbreaking emotional candor even in anger. And that voice is its own woodwind section, with a crisp lightness and clarity that are all the more remarkable because the performance appears so effortless.

Hearing O'Hara — under the faultless music direction of R&H expert Ted Sperling, and backed by the shimmering original orchestrations of Robert Russell Bennett — sing ageless standards like "I Whistle a Happy Tune," "Hello, Young Lovers," "Getting to Know You" and "Shall We Dance?" is reward enough. But the revelation is the fiery internal conflict, and the frustration masking subconscious attraction that she pours into Anna's furious soliloquy, "Shall I Tell You What I Think Of You?" 

From her nervous introductions through her initial stubborn interactions with the King to her swell of maternal affection for his children, her grief-stricken horror at his actions and her ultimate forgiveness, O'Hara's performance conveys a depth of feeling that seems boundless.

Chita

It's an arresting vehicle for the indomitable Chita Rivera, who has stuck with the project throughout its troubled history, and she remains a uniquely steely stage presence at 82 — graceful, dignified and commanding.

Few will be complaining, however, when Rivera, during "Love and Love Alone," dances a melancholy pas de deux with Veintimilla, an elegy for unforgotten passion. The bones might be stiffer than they once were but the elegance and form are still mesmerizing. (Graciela Daniele did the dream-like choreography.) Rivera still puts a spring in Claire's shuffle, sauntering around with her silver-handled cane in the ghoulishly vaudevillian "I Would Never Leave You," as her trio of bizarre henchmen pledge their loyalty, with the countertenor eunuchs making that promise sound like a shriek.

But unquestionably, the reason to see The Visit even with its flaws is the star, whose brittle vocals cut like ice. Rivera's history with Kander and Ebb dates back from Chicago through The Rink to Kiss of the Spider Woman, and there's no doubting the authority she brings to this problematic but nonetheless fascinating musical.

Updated On: 4/30/15 at 12:25 AM

FutureDirector
#28The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 4/30/15 at 12:54am

IF we're making a list for next year Phillipa Soo should be one there for Hamilton.

But this year, I think that while there are 4 extremely deserving performances, the attitude everyone has towards this category is that Chita has the edge with her possible retirement and (while Chita is giving a fantastic performance) the whole situation is unfortunate for Kelly who really just needs a tony already.

theatreguy12
#29The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 4/30/15 at 1:27am

I saw all the performances but O'Hara's, so it's hard for me to say definitively who I think should take it this year.  

I can honestly say though the performance that stood out for me was Chenoweth.  Though I can't comment on O'Hara, who I'm sure was wonderful, I can comment on the complexity of the role of Lily Garland.  IMO, if the role of Lily Garland is played to near perfection, it should get the nod over the role of Anna from TKaI.  

Certainly there is nuance in the Anna character that requires not only singing but acting chops.  

However, this was the first time I saw OTTC, and I could tell immediately that the role of Lilly, if not done well, could go up in smoke faster than a lot of roles.

While a good voice and good acting ability (including the nuances of the character involved) can present a very convincing and well-crafted Anna, the role of Lily takes all of that….and more.  The timing, the rapid fire delivery, a vocal range that is all over the place and quite frenetic at times.  She has to do more than just act, and sing beautifully.  

I know I would have really liked O'Hara because she has a beautiful voice, and the musical is one of the best out there.  

I was mesmerized by Chenoweth though.  And considering the complexity of the role, my vote would be for Kristin.   A great performance of Lily should overpower a great performance of Anna.  

IMO, of course.

They very well might go dramatic over comedic though.

RockyRoad Profile Photo
RockyRoad
#30The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 4/30/15 at 2:15am

The winner will be from Oklahoma City University.

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#31The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 4/30/15 at 7:44am

He's respectful and complementary of Kristin's performance, but hates the production that she's in. But I'm sure that some of Chenoweth's supporters will still insist that her reviews are unequal.

You really seem to be grasping at straws about this. We get it, you love Chita. Take it down a notch. 

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#32The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 4/30/15 at 8:05am

"You really seem to be grasping at straws about this. We get it, you love Chita. Take it down a notch. "

Actually, I think that was a fair assessment of The Hollywood Reporter reviews in isolation.  I'm all for calling out bias, trust me.  But that review for Kristin was not nearly as positive as the one for Chita or Kelli (or honestly his review of Cope... he didn't have much to say about Malone).

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#33The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 4/30/15 at 8:14am

I don't disagree that the reporter didn't love Cheno as much as he did Chita and Kelli. I just thought this part: "But I'm sure that some of Chenoweth's supporters will still insist that her reviews are unequal". Was unnecessary. 

mbruth Profile Photo
mbruth
#34The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 4/30/15 at 8:43am

The people who give these awards for both stage and screen have a clear bias toward performances that are impersonations of actual people.  Last year we had wins for impersonations of Carole King, Billie Holiday, and LBJ.  This year we are guaranteed a Tony for an impersonation of Queen Elizabeth in the Play category.

Last year I was so excited for a showdown between Kelli O'Hara, Sutton Foster, and Idina Menzel - what a trio of stars!  But they all lost to an impersonation of Carole King.

So that would seem to give an edge to Beth Malone, but I don't believe it.  Alison Bechdel isn't well-known enough that voters would be awestruck by an impersonation of her.

I'm hoping for Kelli!

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#35The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 4/30/15 at 8:45am

It's true though.  Cheno fans will be quick to say "her reviews are unparalleled."  I mean, wasn't it you last week who tried to tell me that Kristin's NY Times review was on a different level than Kelli's?  I think ljay's statement was incredibly valid.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#36The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 4/30/15 at 8:58am

Thanks, bjh. I'm glad that you understand what I'm trying to point out. It gives us perspective when we actually read the reviews for ALL three.

As for Bilbo, he'll be in summer camp soon. We have not forgotten that he was basically worse than PhillyPinto a few years ago under multiple personas.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#37The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 4/30/15 at 9:23am

Anna Leonowens and King Mongkut were also real people. Does that give them the edge?

I've never understood the argument against someone playing a real person. Jessie Mueller's performance was much more than just mimicry. That was a performance that stayed with you, one you can't imagine someone else doing. I think that warrants a Best Actress Tony.

I'm also not sure about factoring in difficulty of a role into the equation. If we say that all five performances are equally good on a technical level, I would vote for the one that resonated with me on some level, not the difficulty of the role. I also would not call Anna a walk in the park. There is inner struggle every time she is on that stage, and she's even onstage during the ballet in this production! And then I'd say Alison is a very difficult role since she has to connect with the entire audience with very little material and with virtually no scene partners. And let's not even go into the complexity of dance that Leanne Cope has to convey, all while having a French dialect. Now THAT is a difficult role requiring a true triple threat.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#38The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 4/30/15 at 9:25am

I'm putting my money on Chita this year for a multitude of reasons. 

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#39The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 4/30/15 at 9:34am

I don't know whether The Visit is too dark for the voters to truly embrace. I have a feeling its nominations are its awards.

I think it will be Cheno.

But I would be just as delighted if Chita wins.

I like Kelli, not a super-fan or anything though. I wouldn't see a show because of her.

And although I think she is due, I don't this is her year.

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 4/30/15 at 09:34 AM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#40The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 4/30/15 at 9:44am

"The people who give these awards for both stage and screen have a clear bias toward performances that are impersonations of actual people.  Last year we had wins for impersonations of Carole King, Billie Holiday, and LBJ.  This year we are guaranteed a Tony for an impersonation of Queen Elizabeth in the Play category.
Last year I was so excited for a showdown between Kelli O'Hara, Sutton Foster, and Idina Menzel - what a trio of stars!  But they all lost to an impersonation of Carole King.
So that would seem to give an edge to Beth Malone, but I don't believe it.  Alison Bechdel isn't well-known enough that voters would be awestruck by an impersonation of her.
I'm hoping for Kelli!"

Please keep in mind that there's a difference between playing a real person and impersonating them.

Updated On: 4/30/15 at 09:44 AM

Jordan Catalano
#41The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 4/30/15 at 9:49am

And although I think she is due, I don't this is her year.

And that's her problem every year that she's nominated. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#42The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 4/30/15 at 10:09am

^She also has always been defeated by several (and possibly more) worthy candidates such as...

Sara Ramirez-Spamalot
LaChanze-The Color Purple
Patti LuPone-Gypsy
Audra McDonald-Porgy & Bess
Jessie Mueller-Beautiful: The Carole King Musical

Updated On: 4/30/15 at 10:09 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#43The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 4/30/15 at 10:24am

Kelli absolutely blew me away in Bridges and brought me to tears each of the three times I saw the production. That was probably the year that she has deserved it the most. What a beautiful performance.

Brick
#44The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 4/30/15 at 10:54am

As has been said, there's still plenty of time for the winds to change. Reviews are what got them to the nominations, and have little bearing now. The precursor awards, predictions, box office grosses, Bway chatter and groundswells of support can shift this race in any direction over the next month. 

I agree Kristin has the edge right now. It's scene-stealing part she was born to play, and it's a hit.

Chita will have to win the precursor awards to gain momentum. And for momentum to really swing her way, especially without precursor wins, grosses for THE VISIT will have to pick up.

I think the fact many think this award is up in the air tells me Kelli doesn't have the lock she'd need to have for it to be a "finally" win. It's not feeling like her year.

Updated On: 4/30/15 at 10:54 AM

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#45The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 4/30/15 at 11:02am

No one on this thread (including me) has felt the need to defend Kristin what so ever. The only one who seems to be over compensating about Kelli and Chita's chances are ljay. That was my only point. I personally don't really care if Kristin wins or not. I'm rooting for Beth. 

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#46The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 4/30/15 at 11:04am

I'm not over Kelli losing for Piazza.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Jordan Catalano
#47The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 4/30/15 at 11:06am

Of any of the times she was nominated, THAT was the one that she really should have won.

juice23 Profile Photo
juice23
#48The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 4/30/15 at 11:12am

It's Kelli with an I, not Kelly with a Y

cuz Kelly with a y makes you look like an ignoramus. 

My Music Classroom Giving Page: https://www.donorschoose.org/MrHMusicRoom

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#49The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 4/30/15 at 11:58am

"Kelli absolutely blew me away in Bridges and brought me to tears each of the three times I saw the production. That was probably the year that she has deserved it the most. What a beautiful performance."

I know!!

I still think she should have won for Bridges.

Mueller was great, Kelli was heartbreaking.

....but the world goes 'round

Videos