News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

The Light in the Piazza

Sinister One  Profile Photo
Sinister One
#1The Light in the Piazza
Posted: 8/16/11 at 7:40pm

So, I remember watching this show when it was on PBS and I fell in love with it! It was amazing! I was wondering what were other people's thoughts on this production? The cast, the set, and of course the music were fantastic! I was also wondering if it toured? Because if it did I wonder what the new staging was like!

~Anthony!

AwesomeDanny
#2The Light in the Piazza
Posted: 8/16/11 at 7:43pm

Yes, it's a great show that was quite well received. There was a national tour that used basically the same staging that was slightly changed for a proscenium stage. If I remember correctly, before the show went to Broadway, it was done at the Goodman in Chicago, which is a proscenium stage, so that was altered when it went to the Beaumont, which is a thrust stage. It all still worked quite well.

Gaveston2
#2The Light in the Piazza
Posted: 8/16/11 at 7:46pm

I agree with Sinister One about the PBS broadcast! I had tried to listen to the OBC album, but had never given the piece the attention it requires.

When I had to sit and do nothing but watch and listen, I was gobsmacked! The score is magnificent, the characterizations intricate and the plot consistently surprising, especially for a musical. And on top of all that the show actually has something to say!

Sinister One
#3The Light in the Piazza
Posted: 8/16/11 at 7:48pm

I am still in awe how Spamalot won! I mean sure, it was fun show, but I think TLITP should have won. Also does anyone know if there is any way to watch the PBS recording? It would be great to watch again!
Updated On: 8/16/11 at 07:48 PM

SporkGoddess
#4The Light in the Piazza
Posted: 8/16/11 at 7:49pm

I saw the national tour in Chicago and it was amazing, though I'm not the biggest fan of Christine Andreas. Katie Clarke had definitely improved by then.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

LegallyBroadway2
#5The Light in the Piazza
Posted: 8/16/11 at 7:54pm

The design was a work of art. Every single moment was a mesmerized stage picture. The story was quite touching, and the music I thought was beautiful. I really didn't want the play to end!

Victoria Clark was stunning. Her character was portrayed in the most believable way, with such intensity.

The sound, scenic, lighting, and costume designs was gorgeous. Beyond words. I was in awe at some moments. Beautiful beautiful beautiful. Especially with a beautiful orchestra led by the extremely talented Kimberly Grigsby, the way she weaves the music!

Updated On: 8/16/11 at 07:54 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#6The Light in the Piazza
Posted: 8/16/11 at 7:55pm

Maybe I need to revisit the show because I haven't watched the Broadcast for a couple of years when I first 'got into' musicals, but one of the problems I had with the book was the build-up to revelation that Clara was mentally retarded. I guess anti-climactic might be the feeling I have towards it....I'm not sure exactly how I feel but something just rubs me the wrong way. I'm not saying the story should be changed so that she is a transvestite leper, but could there be a better way to deal with this than her mother continuously whispering to the side that her daughter is 'different'?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Sinister One
#7The Light in the Piazza
Posted: 8/16/11 at 8:06pm

qolbinau I see what you are saying. I think because I knew what was going to happen I was little ancy too. I think most people could tell as well. So I agree with you. AwsomeDanny you coould not have put it better!

Q
#8The Light in the Piazza
Posted: 8/16/11 at 8:07pm

The Lincoln Center production is one of the very, very few that we have gone to see more than once. Stunning on every level.

Gaveston2
#9The Light in the Piazza
Posted: 8/16/11 at 8:31pm

Is it accurate to call Clara "mentally retarded"?

There are a lot of different learning disabilities and I'm certainly no expert.

Certainly, Clara is "differently abled" as a result of her childhood accident and she is naive, at least in part because she has been sheltered by her family. But she learns enough to convert to Catholicism for the wedding.

That doesn't sound "retarded" (i.e., IQ below 75) to me.

SporkGoddess
#10The Light in the Piazza
Posted: 8/16/11 at 8:34pm

Well, according to the musical she has the mental age of 12 (in the novel it's 10). That's definitely a developmental delay.

Gaveston2
#11The Light in the Piazza
Posted: 8/16/11 at 8:51pm

Thanks, Sparks, for the specifics. Wiki seems to treat "traumatic brain injuries" as something apart from mental retardation (my apologies to those who don't like that term), though either may cause developmental delays...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traumatic_brain_injury

I don't know, somehow Clara seemed different from what I've experienced in mentally retarded people I've known. But as I said, I'm not an expert and I could well be wrong.

SporkGoddess
#12The Light in the Piazza
Posted: 8/16/11 at 8:58pm

You're correct in that she wouldn't be considered Pervasive Developmentally Disabled because you need signs of impairment before the age of three (IIRC). TBI is a more accurate description.

Gaveston2
#13The Light in the Piazza
Posted: 8/16/11 at 9:13pm

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, Spork. You obviously know a lot more about this subject than I do, so I'll be happy with whatever term you think best.

My original point wasn't to correct somebody else's terminology, but to ask whether I am misremembering the character in the play.

suttonfoster Profile Photo
suttonfoster
#14The Light in the Piazza
Posted: 8/16/11 at 9:14pm

One of my favorite musicals of all time. Such an important and beautiful score that every serious theatre lover should listen to. Victoria Clark's performance was one of the best I've seen and I throughly enjoyed Katie Rose Clarke and Aaron Lazar's performances. Kelli O'hara's voice was perfection on the cast recording. I also kind of liked how the story left us with an uncertain feeling with how Clara and Fabrizio's life together will turn out.

Gothampc
#15The Light in the Piazza
Posted: 8/16/11 at 9:40pm

I saw it at Lincoln Center and remember thinking that Act 1 was dreadfully slow.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#16The Light in the Piazza
Posted: 8/16/11 at 9:50pm

And don't forget Catherine Zuber's stunning costumes.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#17The Light in the Piazza
Posted: 8/16/11 at 10:00pm

Spamalot was the worst of the nominees that year. The Light in the Piazza should have won that contest easily.

Barcelona Profile Photo
Barcelona
#18The Light in the Piazza
Posted: 8/16/11 at 10:17pm

I love this show! It's one of the most musically strong shows to have played in several years...the orchestrations are absolutely GORGEOUS.

rjm516
#19The Light in the Piazza
Posted: 8/16/11 at 10:43pm

This is definitely the most beautiful, romantic score in a looong time. I love this show so much. Also, Kelli O'hara, to echo a poster above, is perfection on the OBC. I didn't like Katie Clarke as Clara when I saw her after Kelli's performance was burned into my memory, but that might just be me not being able to be fair to Katie/anyone else as Clara.

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#20The Light in the Piazza
Posted: 8/16/11 at 11:56pm

one of the best musicals of the last ten years, with the most gorgeous score. the original production was magical, but i saw arena stage do this last year, and it held up beautifully.

beach2732 Profile Photo
beach2732
#21The Light in the Piazza
Posted: 8/17/11 at 12:23am

Oh! I love The Light in the Piazza. Seeing the PBS broadcast was the first time upon a musical's conclusion that I thought "Whoa! That was art!"

In regards to Clara's state:
I remember hearing that you are supposed to question her behavior in two ways: 1) Is Clara the way she is because of the kick in the head (i.e. developmentally delayed), or 2) is she this way because of her mother's behavior since the accident (sheltered so much to bring about her naivety / childlike behavior)?

Gaveston2
#22The Light in the Piazza
Posted: 8/17/11 at 12:29am

^^^^^

I like the idea that the viewer doesn't know. It's a mystery worthy of such an artful show (as opposed to ambiguity for its own sake).

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#23The Light in the Piazza
Posted: 8/17/11 at 1:44am

"Light in the Piazza" and "She Loves Me" are my two favorite shows that I've never seen. I fell in love with both through their cast recordings and then watched each at the Lincoln Center Library Archives. "Piazza" is just gorgeous- wonderfully directed, acted, sung, and designed. I'm glad I got to see the video of Kelli O'Hara as Clara, but I'd love it if anyone could point me toward the PBS Live From Lincoln Center Broadcast.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#24The Light in the Piazza
Posted: 8/17/11 at 2:17am

Also one of my favorite musicals. I saw the show on Broadway during its last week and was in tears by the end of the first act. A beautiful piece of theater.

Regarding Clara's condition, a brain injury like hers prior to the age of 18 would technically be considered mental retardation (or a developmental disability, to use the newest lingo). I believe it's clear in the show that Clara is mildly DD which is why her mother is over-protective, although her being so sheltered certainly doesn't help her childlike nature.

Videos