News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]- Page 25

The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#600The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/5/16 at 12:55pm

There's a profile of Jeffrey Seller in this upcoming Sunday's NYT; piece is online now. I found many parts of it fascinating, but would love to dissect this for a second:

Early this year, Seller says, a single bot purchased 20,000 “Hamilton” tickets. Even when the brokers’ methods are discovered, he says, “they figure out a new way to hack the system. It’s frustrating, and it’s infuriating.”

The RR seats 1,300, so say that one bot bought up all seats in a performance, that would be slightly over 15 performances where one bot owns all the tickets in the house. So, if bots are such a problem, and they ("they" = Seller, et al) can see enough to be able to see that one bot bought 20,000 tickets, how can they not just turn this bot off/deny the bot access/void the bot tickets? Or is this a case of they can only see that one bot bought 20,000 tickets when numbers are being crunched months later after the fact or something?

Updated On: 4/5/16 at 12:55 PM

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#602The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/5/16 at 2:11pm

Blockhead24 said: "Ham4ham update https://twitter.com/hamiltonmusical/status/717400230019395584"

Here's the whole message over the five tweets:

We love how accessible our digital #Ham4Ham lottery is - it allows so many more of you to have the chance to win a $10 ticket. BUT. We miss seeing your shining faces in front of the Rodgers. SO. Starting tomorrow (4/6), live #Ham4Ham shows & lotteries are back for Weds matinees ONLY. Start entering @ 12:00, drawing @ 12:30. otteries for all other performances (except Weds mat) will remain digital at http://hamiltonbroadway.com/lottery . AND, heads up – we won’t have a lottery next Wednesday afternoon (4/13), because we’re launching our #EduHam program w/1,300 students! 

And according to Lin, they'll only have the #Ham4Ham show live for Wednesday matinee (no online show), unless certain circumstances appear.

https://twitter.com/Lin_Manuel/status/717403549282467841

Updated On: 4/5/16 at 02:11 PM

MyLife
#603The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/5/16 at 2:13pm

I wish they would add a way to have back-up winners who are offered any of the unclaimed lotto seats instead of selling them to the cancellation line. If they're doing this in fairness and to maintain democracy, then wouldn't the fairest thing to do be to offer the tickets to someone else who entered the lotto? They advertise 21 front row tickets being sold to winners of the lotto, not just "offered within a one hour window and then sold for $177."

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#604The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/5/16 at 2:35pm

Lin apparently hurt his voice last night going "from zero to Hamilton" following his vacation, and just posted that doctor's orders are telling him not to go on for tonight's performance, since he was just diagnosed with acute laryngitis.

I wonder if Javier or Jon or somebody else will go on tonight. Any info?

neonlightsxo
#605The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/5/16 at 2:36pm

MyLife said: "I wish they would add a way to have back-up winners who are offered any of the unclaimed lotto seats instead of selling them to the cancellation line. If they're doing this in fairness and to maintain democracy, then wouldn't the fairest thing to do be to offer the tickets to someone else who entered the lotto? They advertise 21 front row tickets being sold to winners of the lotto, not just "offered within a one hour window and then sold for $177."

I agree with this. It drives me crazy.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#606The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/5/16 at 2:41pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Lin apparently hurt his voice last night going "from zero to Hamilton" following his vacation, and just posted that doctor's orders are telling him not to go on for tonight's performance, since he was just diagnosed with acute laryngitis.

I wonder if Javier or Jon or somebody else will go on tonight. Any info?
"

Well, it's certainly one or the other... don't know about the "somebody else". The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD] However, it would be kinda interesting to see maybe Daveed play the role. The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]

It's Javi, BTW. (https://twitter.com/JMunozActor/status/717420372593885186)

Updated On: 4/5/16 at 02:41 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#607The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/5/16 at 2:42pm

Ah-ha, that was a fast answer to my question! Thanks! 

Poor Lin—hope he feels better.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#608The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/5/16 at 3:24pm

Sorry, never mind!

Updated On: 4/5/16 at 03:24 PM

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#609The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/5/16 at 3:56pm

MyLife said: "I wish they would add a way to have back-up winners who are offered any of the unclaimed lotto seats instead of selling them to the cancellation line. If they're doing this in fairness and to maintain democracy, then wouldn't the fairest thing to do be to offer the tickets to someone else who entered the lotto? They advertise 21 front row tickets being sold to winners of the lotto, not just "offered within a one hour window and then sold for $177."

"

I agree with this but I'm wondering if it's a tech/logistical problem. If the lottery closes at 4p and the buyer has until 5, they may not have a way to redraw? But if you win the lottery via today tix, they always call me ASAP and ask me to either buy or decline so they can offer to others. Maybe Broadway direct doesn't have the same policy or technology? Maybe they discard entries after the drawing? Has anyone won non Hamilton lottery from them? I'm curious to know if they offer unclaimed to others. I do think that you should have to verify that you are able to get there if you win and be shut out of entering for a period of time if you don't claim. It's annoying when people win who have no way to attend. 

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#610The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/5/16 at 3:59pm

Blockhead24 said: "Does it really matter why? 

"

Well, yeah. That's why I asked. 

MyLife
#611The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/5/16 at 4:03pm

If it is a tech issue, I'm sure Broadwaydirect can figure out a way to implement this. They can pick 11 winners and then a handful of back up winners who are notified as being on a wait list and that they should sit tight for the next hour in case any tickets aren't claimed.

As of now, they do not offer unclaimed tickets to others. They are sold to the cancellation line for $177 if unclaimed by 5pm 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#612The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/5/16 at 4:06pm

Hellob said: "Blockhead24 said: "Does it really matter why? "

"

It matters to him, his friends, family, and co-workers. Are you any of those?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#613The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/5/16 at 4:06pm

Anakela said: "There's a profile of Jeffrey Seller in this upcoming Sunday's NYT; piece is online now. I found many parts of it fascinating, but would love to dissect this for a second:

Early this year, Seller says, a single bot purchased 20,000 “Hamilton” tickets. Even when the brokers’ methods are discovered, he says, “they figure out a new way to hack the system. It’s frustrating, and it’s infuriating.”

The RR seats 1,300, so say that one bot bought up all seats in a performance, that would be slightly over 15 performances where one bot owns all the tickets in the house. So, if bots are such a problem, and they ("they" = Seller, et al) can see enough to be able to see that one bot bought 20,000 tickets, how can they not just turn this bot off/deny the bot access/void the bot tickets? Or is this a case of they can only see that one bot bought 20,000 tickets when numbers are being crunched months later after the fact or something?

"

I still don't understand how one bot can buy so many. I read a scalper's Reddit ama and he said that he does use a program but because of ticket limits, he enlists a lot of friends to purchase at same time. They all use the bot program but it doesn't register as the same bot since they have different IP addresses. Even financially, 20k tickets at $150 average price point is 3 million dollars, wouldn't a credit card company put a freeze and who even has 3 million in available credit? 

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#614The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/5/16 at 4:11pm

LizzieCurry said: "Hellob said: "Blockhead24 said: "Does it really matter why? "

"

It matters to him, his friends, family, and co-workers. Are you any of those?

"

I am just curious about it because he's disproportionately out. There was a whole thread about Brightman but I can't ask this? Ok, I got the message. 

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#615The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/5/16 at 4:35pm

He's been filming a pilot. He's mentioned it in his tweets.

rjm516
#616The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/5/16 at 4:37pm

The whole bot thing is really infuriating. And in that piece, Sellers didn't seem too concerned with finding solutions to scalpers except for raising the base price for his own gain. I can't see why they don't do what the Harry Potter play has done in London - everyone who bought a ticket has to collect with ID from the box office. That sold out extremely fast for almost a year of performances - if they can do it, Hamilton can do it.

mariel9 Profile Photo
mariel9
#617The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/5/16 at 4:42pm

When I wanted to sell my ticket to the David Bowie tribute, I wasn't able to resell it on Ticketmaster, which makes me wonder if venues or producers can opt out. If they can, why hasn't Hamilton?

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#618The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/5/16 at 4:48pm

oncemorewithfeeling2 said: "He's been filming a pilot. He's mentioned it in his tweets.

"

Thank you so much! I'm not on Twitter much. :)

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#619The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/5/16 at 4:50pm

Because those same people would just sell them on Stubhub?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#620The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/5/16 at 4:50pm

Because those same people would just sell them on Stubhub?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

neonlightsxo
#621The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/5/16 at 4:53pm

Right. Because even though the price gouging is insane, at least it's guaranteed to be legitimate, rather than StubHub or Craigslist which isn't.

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#622The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/5/16 at 4:56pm

mariel9 said: "When I wanted to sell my ticket to the David Bowie tribute, I wasn't able to resell it on Ticketmaster, which makes me wonder if venues or producers can opt out. If they can, why hasn't Hamilton?

"

The best guess is that they know they are being resold no matter what so opting in may cut down on the fake SH and CL tickets? Does anyone know if the venue gets any of the TM resale fees because they are fairly higher than SH. It seems like they should be less because they have no risk since they are basically only transferring 100% valid tickets between users. SH does have some risks because the tickets could be fake and the seller can easily cancel their cc before SH tries to recoup. 

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#623The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/5/16 at 4:59pm

From what I understand, from the Ticketmaster FAQs, the producers can opt out and not allow reselling.

mariel9 Profile Photo
mariel9
#624The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/5/16 at 5:58pm

The Bowie tickets also couldn't be sold on stubhub. There are, of course, other sites, but I thought it was interesting that reselling on the two biggest(?) sites isn't inevitable.

Videos