News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]- Page 27

The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]

MyLife
#650The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/12/16 at 9:32am

So I happened to win lotto last night (it's possible!) and I was thrilled it was for Rory's first show. He was hysterical and fits the role perfectly. He seems very comfortable. I can only imagine he will get even better with time. He reminds me more of BDJ in the role than Groff or Rannells, which I appreciate. A lovely addition to the cast. I can't wait to hear what others think.

Austin Smith was on for Burr, and Andrew Chappelle for Mulligan/Madison. I was left underwhelmed with both understudies and felt very fortunate that this was not my first viewing. Austin grew on me towards the end but I much preferred Leslie Odom Jr. and Sydney James Harcourt in the role.  His voice is very deep, so his power notes resonate nicely but the softer, more tender moments suffer. I think that's why he improved after Room Where It Happens - he's better as the more aggressive type. It actually made me curious about his Washington. I think he'd be wonderful in that role.

As for Andrew Chappelle, I hate to say this but I didn't like him at all. I think he's extraordinary for being able to cover so many principle roles and ensemble tracks but his Madison/Mulligan didn't do it for me. He didn't seem to differentiate his characters at all; both men were overly sassy in a way that doesn't fit the material at all.  He felt out of place compared to the rest of the cast, like he was just himself on stage while everyone else was acting. Maybe he was having an off night? Someone said this earlier - many pages ago - but I never realized how much I appreciate Oak in the role until now. That man is incredible.

Every swing was on except for one of the new males (Ricardo Z.). I hope everyone is okay and there isn't some illness going around. It was strange to see 70% new faces in the ensemble. They're going strong and carrying a big show on their shoulders, making it look easy. I did miss some faces for sure though (like Betsy Struxness and Ariana Debose). Special shout-out to Gregory Haney as Phillip Schuyler. He made a small roll stand out, and he was adorable!

Some details for lotto:

First, your seats are already predetermined so there is no advantage in getting in line early to pick them up. When you get to the theater, you line up by the steps and they let you pick up your tickets and immediately enter the theater 30 minutes before curtain. You can only pick up your ticket once your whole party is there, and once you do they shuffle you straight into the theater. You may not exit once you're in. Looks like they're taking measures to prevent scalping or reselling of lotto seats. However, that means if you won and can't see the show you couldn't pass them off to friends (unless perhaps both friends were present when you picked up the tickets and the BO saw you just hand them off? Unsure).

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#651The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/12/16 at 10:25am

MyLife,

I saw Austin Smith as George Washington a couple of weeks ago, as Christopher Jackson and Sydney Harcourt were both out.  He was quite good. I really liked his voice, plus he's very nice on the eyes!

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#652The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/12/16 at 10:28am

Sounds to me like Chappelle might have had an off night. I've seen him go on for a number of different tracks, and he has been nothing less than absolutely stellar every time.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#653The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/12/16 at 10:28am

Thanks so much for the report on Rory's first show!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

rebeccmam31
#654The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/12/16 at 10:31am

MyLife said: "As for Andrew Chappelle, I hate to say this but I didn't like him at all. I think he's extraordinary for being able to cover so many principle roles and ensemble tracks but his Madison/Mulligan didn't do it for me. He didn't seem to differentiate his characters at all; both men were overly sassy in a way that doesn't fit the material at all.  He felt out of place compared to the rest of the cast, like he was just himself on stage while everyone else was acting. Maybe he was having an off night? Someone said this earlier - many pages ago - but I never realized how much I appreciate Oak in the role until now. That man is incredible."

I didn't dislike Chappelle in the role quite as strongly as you did, but I will say that I definitely missed Oak.  He really does just own both roles in a way I had already admired but didn't quite fully appreciate until Saturday night.  

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#655The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/12/16 at 10:48am

I saw the show last week with Chappelle on as Mulligan/Madison and I commented in my post here that I thought his Madison had much more presence than Oak's. I felt like I noticed the character and his ailments so much more. But - I also last saw Hamilton in previews in late July so it's been a long time. And I was pretty overwhelmed by    The time Act 2 came along. It's a lot to take in the show on first viewing, especially if you haven't listened to the cast recording which obviously I hadn't in July. In contrast, while I thought Chappelle was great overall, I preferred Oak's Mulligan - had more grit. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

MyLife
#656The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/12/16 at 11:56am

I definitely liked his Madison works better than his Mulligan (that grit factor Oak has is definitely needed). But even with his Madison, I thought it was too over the top. I noticed his ailments because he would cough loudly over other people speaking. I much prefer Oak's subtleties but to each his/her own. What bothered me about both character's most was the level of sass put into them. Andrew is hysterical. His snapchat and tweets are much appreciated.but I felt like was watching Andrew onstage last night and not the characters Lin created. I do think his energy would work better for the Jefferson and Laurens characters much better. His What'd I Miss? would be stellar.

neonlightsxo
#657The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/12/16 at 12:00pm

I saw Andrew as Laurens last August, I believe, and I didn't think any of his own personality got in the way of his performance.

ChiTheaterFan
#658The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/12/16 at 5:45pm

I saw Chapelle as Madison/Mulligan awhile back. I think my comments are somewhere in this thread but it's gotten pretty long so I'm not checking. :) I definitely missed Oak and realized how much he brings to the show.  Chapelle was ok. His Madison was pretty good but I was not impressed with his Mulligan. He has a lovely voice and I'm sure he is very talented but I just didn't feel him in the character. It didn't help  that he dropped a line, which I know happens and I try not to hold against him, but it does remove you from the moment when you know the songs so well. (Seems to me like this could be one of the perils of covering so many roles...  I think he had just been on for Laurens before that and maybe he mixed up who sang what?).

In fairness, having seen the show several times, it seems the actors really grow into their roles as time goes on. Swings don't get that opportunity. Even more so where they play multiple roles, and here with the additional complications of double tracking!  I can see why a swing might not perfectly embody every character. 

justasmalltownboy13
#659The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/12/16 at 6:08pm

Can we make a thread for people who  aren't obsessed and don't get the hype for this show? Like one big complaint/boycott? I would pay for a membership to that club...

aaaaaa15
#660The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/12/16 at 6:53pm

justasmalltownboy13 said: "Can we make a thread for people who  aren't obsessed and don't get the hype for this show? Like one big complaint/boycott? I would pay for a membership to that club..."

I can't imagine why anyone would want to spend their time complaining rather than talking about the shows that they do like but if you are interested in something like that, I don't think a thread entitled 'The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives' is the best place to ask.

BroadwayConcierge
#661The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/12/16 at 6:53pm

justasmalltownboy13 said: "Can we make a thread for people who  aren't obsessed and don't get the hype for this show? Like one big complaint/boycott? I would pay for a membership to that club..."

OMG WOW! You are soooo cool! And you cut against the grain of the status quo! Go you!

Updated On: 4/12/16 at 06:53 PM

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#662The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/13/16 at 8:56pm

It looks like Nicholas Christopher has been added to the cast as a Burr/Washington standby.

Source: https://instagram.com/p/BEKRVIVsVZK/

In costume: https://instagram.com/p/BEKE5KOu1UM/

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#663The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/13/16 at 9:13pm

justasmalltownboy13 said: "Can we make a thread for people who  aren't obsessed and don't get the hype for this show? Like one big complaint/boycott? I would pay for a membership to that club...

"

Sure...go ahead.  Make that thread and have a good time with it.  Or (as suggested) just open the threads that you WANT to participate in.   

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BroadwayConcierge
#664The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/13/16 at 9:37pm

Groff, Raver-Lampman, and other company members who have since left are still listed on the show's cast page, by the way. It has been days... Not that this is a huge deal or anything, but a bit unusually sluggish, no?

justasmalltownboy13
#665The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/14/16 at 8:44am

BroadwayConcierge said: "justasmalltownboy13 said: "Can we make a thread for people who  aren't obsessed and don't get the hype for this show? Like one big complaint/boycott? I would pay for a membership to that club..."

OMG WOW! You are soooo cool! And you cut against the grain of the status quo! Go you!

"

Was that supposed to be hurtful? 

dramamama611
#666The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/14/16 at 9:15am

Probably as hurtful as your original post was intended to be.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BroadwayConcierge
adt_0304
#668The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/14/16 at 10:04am

I just have a random question about winning the lotto.  Do you have a NYC zip code?  I have been beginning to wonder if they only choose NYC zip codes, to try and weed out people who are too far to make it in for the show .. 

BroadwayConcierge
#669The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/14/16 at 10:05am

adt_0304 said: "I just have a random question about winning the lotto.  Do you have a NYC zip code?  I have been beginning to wonder if they only choose NYC zip codes, to try and weed out people who are too far to make it in for the show .."

Nope. I know a few people who do not have NYC zip codes who have won the lottery.

justasmalltownboy13
#670The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/14/16 at 10:11am

dramamama611 said: "Probably as hurtful as your original post was intended to be.

"

It wasn't written to be hurtful, just simply stating that the whole hype around the show is getting to be exhausting - especially when every other thread is about it. Why not have a thread/conversation for those of us who won't gouge their eyes out when it closes.

BroadwayConcierge
#671The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/14/16 at 10:19am

justasmalltownboy13 said: "It wasn't written to be hurtful, just simply stating that the whole hype around the show is getting to be exhausting - especially when every other thread is about it. Why not have a thread/conversation for those of us who won't gouge their eyes out when it closes."

Then go start it, dude. No one's stopping you. See how it goes. Why take your frustration out on a thread of people who clearly care about the show?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#672The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/14/16 at 10:21am

BroadwayConcierge said: "Groff, Raver-Lampman, and other company members who have since left are still listed on the show's cast page, by the way. It has been days... Not that this is a huge deal or anything, but a bit unusually sluggish, no?"

Do they usually update immediately after someone leaves? It's so annoying when shows are this lazy about updating their cast pages, especially high-profile ones like this.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#673The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/14/16 at 10:23am

As of last night, Rory O'Malley wasn't listed. Dude's in a principal role.

dramamama611
#674The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 4/14/16 at 10:27am

justasmalltownboy13 said: "dramamama611 said: "Probably as hurtful as your original post was intended to be.

"

It wasn't written to be hurtful, just simply stating that the whole hype around the show is getting to be exhausting - especially when every other thread is about it. Why not have a thread/conversation for those of us who won't gouge their eyes out when it closes.

"

So why even open this thread then?  If you don't want to read about Hamilton, don't click on the Hamilton threads....they are clearly labled 99.9% of the time.   I don't want to talk about Shuffle Along as I really didn't enjoy it....so, you know what, I don't go into those threads.  I have no desire to thwart those that do.

And yes, you meant to be hurtful....in that way that you are so much above those that participate in the Hamilton love.

Videos